bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 29th May 2013, 10:49   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
IDC predicts continued PC slump, tablet dominance

Tablets to overtake PC sales by 2015.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...9/idc-tablet/1
Gareth Halfacree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 11:26   #2
holbob
Multimodder

holbob is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.holbob is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.holbob is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.holbob is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.holbob is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.holbob is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.holbob is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.holbob is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.holbob is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.holbob is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.holbob is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I suppose desktop pc's will become the preserve of just gamers and office workstations in future, if they aren't already. Even pc gamers are moving more into the lounge and using large htpc cases. My girls are 8 and 10 and we would only consider a tablet now for them. They need to learn and master them if that is the way the world is going.
Silverstone GD07 Case - MSI P67A-GD65 - BeQuiet! E9 Straightpower 580watt - i5 2500k@4.5ghz auto voltage - Noctua NH-C14 - MSI GTX970 Gaming - Samsung SH-S224 DVDRW - Crucial M4 128GB - Crucial MX100 256GB - WD Green 1TB - 2xNoctua NF-S12B flx 120mm (intake side) - 2xAkasa Apache FN057 120mm (intake bottom) - 2x BeQuiet! Shadow Wings 80mm (outake)
holbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 11:38   #3
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
People will always need a pc, They just dont need to replace it every year as was the case in the passed.

Also does not take a genius to relise that tablets would dominate, they have been for a while now.
rollo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 11:51   #4
Flibblebot
Smile with me

Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.
The problem is that PCs are now so powerful, that there is no reason for people to upgrade every couple of years - a PC that is newer than 4-5 years old will be more than capable of performing the kind of tasks that 90% of users use their PCs for. Even if a PC has slowed down, a quick wipe and reinstall of Windows is all that's needed to perk a PC up.

Add to that the fact that tablets are so much easier to use and can do everything most people use their PCs for (with the possible exception of the Office apps), and you get the reason for the slump.

I wonder where IDC put the hybrid PC/tablet devices?
Old 29th May 2013, 12:01   #5
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flibblebot View Post
I wonder where IDC put the hybrid PC/tablet devices?
It's in the article: if it has a removable keyboard then it's a tablet; if it has a fixed keyboard it's a PC, even if the screen swivels, slides or flips to form a tablet. Which means, I guess, that the Asus Transformer Slider and knockoffs thereof are tracked as PCs, unless the rule on "an Android tablet is not a PC" overrides the "if it has a non-removable keyboard, it's a portable PC."
Gareth Halfacree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 12:17   #6
thom804
Multimodder

thom804 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This just in...

Tablets can sell by the BILLLLIIOOOONNNSSSS, but there will always be a place for PC's. Maybe a slight downturn will prompt the big manufacturers to start making PC's more enticing.

Myself, I have a tablet, smartphone and laptop but I would never carry out any serious work or gaming on anything other than a desktop pc. A view i'm sure i'm not alone in sharing.
Asus P67 Sabertooth // Intel 2500k @4.6ghz // 8gb Corsair Vengeance @1600 // XFX 7870 2GB DD edition // 60GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD // 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 HDD // Gelid Tranquillo // Corsair HX 750w PSU // Silverstone FT02B-W
thom804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 12:36   #7
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
Forget office workstations. In the future those will either be laptops (for convenience) or thin clients.
Even when I mention laptops, those in the future will be surface/surface pros or 12.9" iPads (lol... another .1" and it's a laptop).

PCs will be for gaming, and even for the majority of 'gamers' (playing 1 game doesn't make you a gamer tbh) will be mainly HTPCs. You'll also have your occasional hard core nerd with a tower (somewhere near bit-tech).
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 12:53   #8
Woodspoon
Supermodder

Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.
How many times has this been proclaimed, "The PC market is dead/dying" still here!
Almost every time a new generation of something comes out there's always someone claiming that "this will be the end of the PC market".
Woodspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 13:05   #9
aramil
Keeping it Kerbal.....

aramil is definitely a rep cheat.aramil is definitely a rep cheat.aramil is definitely a rep cheat.aramil is definitely a rep cheat.aramil is definitely a rep cheat.aramil is definitely a rep cheat.aramil is definitely a rep cheat.aramil is definitely a rep cheat.aramil is definitely a rep cheat.aramil is definitely a rep cheat.aramil is definitely a rep cheat.
As I compile my own flavour of android for my tablets and for my phone. I don't think the pc is dead.

For all their ease of use, you still need a pc to build the os and the apps etc.

While for most poeple consuming data a tablet is ideal, most people who have to create data in any form the pc is still the king.
System: Intel i5 3570K delidded CLU @ 4.6Ghz | Asus Stabertooth Z77 (2003) | Asus GTX560-TI Direct cuII | OCZ Agility 3 120Gb | Samsung 1Tb F2 | WD 500Gb | Corsair 750TX v2 | 8Gb (2x4) Corsair Vengence | Corsair K90 Keyboard | XSPC-Raystorm-750-RS2400 (2 X Akasa viper) | Casecom 5288 | Samsung LS24B300HL / LE46C750 | Windows 10 64bit | Audio: Linn Classik & Keilidh Speakers
aramil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 18:50   #10
LordPyrinc
Legomaniac

LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Personally, I never cared for working extended hours on a laptop. Keyboards on them can tend to be too flat and the key layout can feel a bit cramped. Biggest concern I would say is the way you look at a laptop screen versus a desktop screen. Ideally, you look at a monitor with your head straight, but when using a laptop, you are usually looking down at an angle. That tends to be a literal pain in the neck for me after hours working with a laptop or equivalent portable device. Then there is the eye strain of course when working with smaller screens. Tablets and laptops are great for portability and moderate use, but they suck at 40 hours a week or more use on the job.

A decade from now we'll probably start seeing more chronic ailments concerning neck, other ergonomic related issues, and eye strain as companies decide that their staff will be so much more productive if they did away with the PC and gave everyone shiny new tablets.

Intel i7-920 @ 2.66GHz - Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz - Windows7 64bit
2 x 150GB WD VelociRaptor HDs (RAID 0) - 1TB WD 7200 rpm HD - 60GB OCZ SSD - 1TB WD External USB HD
2 x EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti 2GB Superclocked (Dual SLI) - Razer BlackWidow Ultimate KB
Cooler Master HAF 922 - Antec 850W TruePower Quattro - 27" Samsung S27B550 LED Display
LordPyrinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 22:02   #11
Gradius
IT Consultant

Gradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for president
Tablets are super limited yet. I can't think in tablet until after 2020. Unless I want something to read my manga on it.
Gradius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2013, 23:39   #12
Tynecider
Since ZX81

Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Tablet's replace desktop PC's!!!!!

OHHHH NOOOOOO!

What about the "Computer Desk" industry?

Did anyone stop to consider the "Computer Desk" industry plight should we all start gaming and working from tablets.

We will see massive unrest when demand for quality flat pack desks diminishes, The militant "Computer Desk Builders" union busts a nut and goes on hunger strike

WERE DOOMED!

The end of the world is here I tell ya!

140mm FANS!!!!! OHHH NOOOOOO...........

hehe
“The illusion of freedom will continue as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery, they will pull back the curtains, they will move the tables and chairs out of the way and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater.” - Frank Zappa
Tynecider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2013, 04:55   #13
LightningPete
Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

LightningPete has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tynecider
Tablet's replace desktop PC's!!!!!

OHHHH NOOOOOO!

What about the "Computer Desk" industry?

Did anyone stop to consider the "Computer Desk" industry plight should we all start gaming and working from tablets.

We will see massive unrest when demand for quality flat pack desks diminishes, The militant "Computer Desk Builders" union busts a nut and goes on hunger strike

WERE DOOMED!

The end of the world is here I tell ya!

140mm FANS!!!!! OHHH NOOOOOO...........

hehe
Clearly you were past your bedtime and your sugar limit
LightningPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2013, 09:37   #14
MrJay
You are always where you want to be

MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.
The real turn of the tide will be when we get a generation of kids that will have almost exclusively used tablet computing, be it at home or in school. These will be the consumers tha drive the most sales away from the traditional desktop. It will seem as absurd to them to sit at a desktop as I find it to get any 'real work' done on a tablet.

The schools I work in are already talking about 1 iPad per child and reducing the amount of available computer suites.

Personally I think the portable revolution in computing will lead to some epic social decline. I already have to battle to get any convocation out of my friends at the pub, they are all busy checking their emails and playing angry birds. I do have an iPad mini for work, but it is used exclusively for managing tickets on our helpdesk software rattling off a few informal emails.

Long live the desktop I say.

Ironically sent from my iPad .....

HTPC Silverstone Milo - A4 -5300 APU Undervolted - Biostar HI-FI A85SC - 4GB Corsair Ram Overclocked to 1600mhz - 64GB Toshiba X-Gale SSD
MrJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2013, 11:12   #15
Silver51
I cast flare!

Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
The school down the road issued iPads to all it's student body; even made the local papers. What they didn't say was that the attrition rate is appalling. Breakages, jailbreaking, being left at home and becoming 'lost' seem to be their biggest issues.

Speaking to a parent st the school, she said that had she known this would happen, she would have sent her boys to a different school.

We trialled them at work, only to find the same problems.

That and when you allow your student body to walk around with tablets and phones, it becomes hard to teach them when they're Facebooking each other under the table.
Silver51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
analyst, desktop, financial, idc, laptop, lenovo, pc market, post-pc, post-pc era, sales, tablet, tablet market