1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Amputer

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Throbbi, 4 Jun 2013.

1. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Hello bit-tech! Surely 4 years is long enough between joining and posting a project log, right? :p This is a project I've been planning.....wait, that's a blatant lie.....thinking about for several months now and involves a build with a custom (and I think pretty unique) case.

NOTE 1 - Sadly due to being without a camera (good ones are so expensive :jawdrop:) you'll have to put up with the Iphone camera but once completed I'll at least get the use of a decent shooter from a friend of mine ;).

Components - Again, I'm not rich so these will be fairly low power parts from my previous rig (notably the prize from The Great Satan's giveaway a couple of years ago with a couple of other bits) and will more than likely function as a browser/HTPC since space is at a premium and a decent GPU will likely not fit. The components at this time are:
    - AMD Phenom II X2 560 Black Edition (I know with 100% certainty that this bad boy unlocks to a quad-core B60 :rock:)
    - Asus M5A78L-M LX mATX motherboard
    - 2x4GB generic DDR3 RAM@1333mhz. Not great but has simple and clean spreaders on matching the colour scheme.
    - 320GB Samsung Spinpoint F1
    - 250W mini-ITX sized PSU salvaged from a god awful Packard Bell micro thingy. Yeah this is tiny but it really won't need much power.
    - CPU cooling is a secret for now :nono:
    - NVidia GT520 passive card, mainly for the HDMI output. (assuming my mate lets me buy it from him)
    - No optical as an external is available to use.

The case in which parts will be fitted is currently this...
    Front..
    [​IMG]
    And back...
    [​IMG]

Yeah that's right, it's a very old (and dead before anyone asks) guitar amp :rock:. This example is from around 1973ish. As you can see it clearly can't have parts installed in it yet, so some work is required. This always begins with the fun part - ripping it to bits!

Hmm, there's not a lot in there, I guess valves were rare back then...
    [​IMG]

Really not a lot, that's the entirety of the electronics inside! :lol:
    [​IMG]

That's one tiny amp...
    [​IMG]

That's all the electrics out!
    [​IMG]

And the rest of it!
    [​IMG]

It's left me with useless gubbins! (yeah, cause I really need more bit's in the box of generic PC crap :worried:)
    [​IMG]
    That's a 240V-24V transformer (I assume AC - DC as well due to the wiring being both yellow), the 5W amp itself with the input and output 1/4" jacks still connected and a rather old, but intact, 5" speaker cone.

More to come of course, this is just the beginning :cool: Updates won't be daily but I'll keep them going pretty regularly, assuming work doesn't screw me too much.

P.S. If any of you like to tinker with assorted bits of electronic junk give me a PM and I'll send those remaining bits on to you to play with.

2. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

And a quick update immediately :lol: Not that it was all ready to go or anything.

The front panel has a hole in it and that hole just so happens to be 140mm in diameter. What could possibly go in there?
    [​IMG]

Why of course, anyone would think it was custom made. (yes it will be facing the other way, I'm not THAT stupid)
    [​IMG]

There is one issue though, those 4 bolts which the cone attached to won't come out without removing the front material. This might take a while...
    [​IMG]

At his point I should mention that I live in a small 2 bed flat and have no access to a workshop or garage so right now the spare room doubles as a junk room and my modding space. Yeah, there's a lot of crap in there :lol: I also am not well off so it's ghetto modding a plenty! Hand tools - check, lot's of makeshift solutions - check :D
    [​IMG]

Back to it with the hand tools I mentioned. Knackered chisels make for excellent staple removers.
    [​IMG]

Some time later.....
    [​IMG]

Much, much, much later.........
    [​IMG]

At this point I found that no matter what I tried the 4 bolts just wouldn't come out, wtf is going on? So I came up with a way to unscrew whilst keeping pressure on the panel itself so I'm not just pushing it in whilst unscrewing.
    [​IMG]

So that's why! 2 different threads on 1 bolt, awkward sods.
    [​IMG]

The interior is extremely low quality wood (read MDF but standing for Majorly Dodgy and F*****) so will definitely be getting painted. The front panel also had a really crappy black coating on the front but as it's behind the speaker screen it's barely visible so it's had a coat of blackboard paint.
    [​IMG]

The inside will get white to help with illumination and to keep it looking clean and tidy. Now then, where's my paint brush gone......