1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Haswell heat surprises system builders

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 6 Jun 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

15 degree`s hotter - read elsewhere that they are thermal throttling with even a mild overclock on stock cooling as well.

3. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Giant LOL. Seems to be the pattern now for Intel. Almost as if they're trying to drive people over to AMD for overclocking.

I guess they must be saving a lot of money by using cheap thermal paste instead of soldering IHS.

4. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

So, does this mean I'm better off with an i5-3570k and a bit of overclocking? In terms of performance/price?

5. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

And this is one of the main reasons I avoided Ivy Bridge and will be avoiding Haswell.

At the moment, if it turns out that Ivy Bridge E or Haswell E are stupidly hot as well then I will stick with my SB-E setup or switch to back AMD.

There is no way I can currently use LN2 or Dry Ice to cool a cpu, and since that's, pretty much what I would need to get these cpu's up to a decent speed Intel are doing something wrong.

6. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Yeah

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

It wasn't done to save money.

8. SAimNE

SAimNE What's a Dremel?

wonder if they will even bother to fix this :/. they really have no need to even consider fixing this because it operates at their clock rates(although hotter than it should) at a stable temp, and since there is no competition at all in the high end market they dont really have much of a reason to go out of their way to appease the over clockers since those overclockers have no choice but to buy one of their products if they want max performance x.x....... amd needs to pull off a miracle within 5 years and make a decent high end chip, because i can't envision intels high end getting better in either price or extended features(such as OC) until they get at least SOME competition

9. Xir

Xir Modder

That is the question, Haswell is 10-15% faster than IB if I understood the review correctly, but you can run your SB/IB at 4.5 wile you run your Haswell at 4.2.

For a moderate OC, SB/IB shuold run 4Ghz on stock voltages and with stock (boxed) cooling, does Haswell?

Depends, haswell was supposed to use less power, if they run hotter, more cooling is needed. 15° more in a notebook is a lot.

10. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

Well it saves me money as there is no way I'm buying a Haswell.

11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Personally im going to wait for Skylake, Some say memory speed doesn't make much difference but im still looking forward to DDR4.

12. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

Why was it done?

If the type of thermal paste used under the heatspreader is the cause (as is the case with Ivy Bridge), compounded by the current heat generation situation then I would like to think Intel will address this ASAP with a new stepping.

I hope this is not a return to the leakage suffered in the days of Prescott cpu's, because this time round, in terms of outright cpu performance, there's no alternative and no reason to buy this one....I wonder how long IB will remain available as a result?

13. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

+1 !
    The only thing that springs to my mind would be to reduce the chips lifespan !

14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

15. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

People need to start slicing the tops off their Haswells to get those temps down. Then again they could always use liquid and Aquarium chiller.

16. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Oh. Worse than IB? I'll be sticking with my trusty SB chip then...

17. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

To be honest, you'd probably be better off with a 2500K, the 3570K runs hot too!

18. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

According to some tests a guy on a forum did with a delidded IVB chip (sorry, no link), the problem with high temperatures is NOT due to the quality of the TIM or the IHS. The real problem is that Intel slap on too much, so the heat is not being conducted to the heatsink properly.

When users delid their chip and replace the TIM, they use a thinner layer so they see a reduction in temperatures. Even if they used the TIM Intel is using, they'd still see an equivalent reduction.

19. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

To bad you have void the warranty on the cpu to fix the mistake Intel made.

Reminds of the Rampage III Extreme issue, where if you took of the heatsink for the north and south bridge chips and applied new thermal paste, you fixed a issue where the board would report your cpu as overheating even running at stock speed.

Atleast Asus fixed that issue though.

20. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Are we overestimating how many 'overclockers' there are out there I wonder?

And those that do fall into the magical moderate category... at what point does it stop being moderate? Over a certain voltage threshold? Over a certain ghz?

I have friends that want an overclock... none are interested into what I'd guess is called, a moderate overclock. Surely there is everyday and extreme? If I was to dish out labels that is. And this depends on cooling capabilities... and moderation was required to reach those limits. Perhaps those are moderate overclocks...