bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 6th Jun 2013, 15:01   #1
Zesti
Aluminium + file

Zesti is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zesti is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zesti is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zesti is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zesti is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zesti is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zesti is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zesti is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zesti is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zesti is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zesti is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Project Espada

Project Index
000 - Start of project
001 - More chassis parts cut + finished motherboard tray
002 - Micro-update: Black RAM
003 - Sanded chassis components + chassis test fit
004 - More chassis photos + thoughts about the theme and other things

Hi everyone!

After a long pause, I'm back with new worklog. This time it's going to be HTPC/Steambox, but I wanted something more original than your usual HTPC case. Hence I'm going to build it completely from scratch using only hand tools - Jigsaw will be the highest tech tool for this build. Material is mainly 3mm aluminium, but there might be some acrylic too for light effects.

Components are pretty basic for this project - Mini-itx board with some fast memory and an APU. Plus Noctua cooler and Intel SSD. Oh, and 150W PicoPSU too.

I gathered these parts over a long period of time so photos are a bit random.. But let's start with the APU:

If someone is wondering why I'm using 5800K and not the newer 6800K, it's because I bought this CPU several months ago. In fact the system has been in use for a while, but just without the case..

Here's the CPU cooler I'm using. I think it's not recommended for 100W TDP processors, but seems to work just fine since I've disabled turbo and undervolted 5800K quite bit.

And by the way, this is my first Noctua cooler ever! Pretty cool packaging too, huh?

It's a bit hard to see, but this cooler does have a couple heatpipes:

Rest of the components:

Components installed:

And yeah, I removed heatspreaders from the memory.. Orange color doesn't fit to this project and it was rather tight fit between the cooler and the PicoPSU.

Random beauty shot..

And system running:

Everything is working just fine.. Surprisingly fluid too, seems like APU+SSD+W8 is pretty nice combo.

And now onto the good part!

I started building with this easy part. Bending it was the hardest thing to do.. I don't have any fancy metal bending machine so I used a couple aluminium plates and hands instead.

Luckily this is the only part that needs bending in this project..

Next I started to cut sidepanels. Drawing is printed on paper which is then glued to the aluminium.

Looks pretty good..

After a while I had another sidepanel too and I couldn't help myself.. I just had to make a quick test fit to see how it looks.

And yes, it should become a computer case and not a spaceship.

More soon..

Last edited by Zesti; 9th Aug 2013 at 16:06.
Zesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2013, 15:21   #2
Pranja
Blackwolf

Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
This will be awesome project. I can allready see that.

And yes, it looks like Normandy. :P
Pranja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2013, 15:33   #3
Azariel
Multimodder

Azariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for president
Very nice start! Looking forward to see how this will unfold!
Azariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2013, 23:04   #4
quizz_kid
Squid

quizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Looks very interesting. I´ll be watching

Follow me on: http://www.facebook.com/enannanvision
quizz_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2013, 03:53   #5
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azariel View Post
Quoted for bad pun. Fantastic start.
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2013, 16:25   #6
Zesti
Aluminium + file

Zesti is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zesti is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zesti is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zesti is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zesti is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zesti is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zesti is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zesti is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zesti is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zesti is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zesti is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranja View Post
This will be awesome project. I can allready see that.

And yes, it looks like Normandy. :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azariel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by quizz_kid View Post
Looks very interesting. I´ll be watching
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapskate View Post
Quoted for bad pun. Fantastic start.
Thanks guys!

Just some misc photos of the progress.

Printed drawings:

Rough cut parts:

Motherboard tray sanded and ready to be painted. Now I just need to sand rest of the parts..

Last edited by Zesti; 14th Jun 2013 at 16:30.
Zesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2013, 17:12   #7
sixfootsideburns
modeteer

sixfootsideburns has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsixfootsideburns has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
thats shweet.
sixfootsideburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2013, 17:31   #8
Trance
Two steps forward, one step back

Trance is definitely a rep cheat.Trance is definitely a rep cheat.Trance is definitely a rep cheat.Trance is definitely a rep cheat.Trance is definitely a rep cheat.Trance is definitely a rep cheat.Trance is definitely a rep cheat.Trance is definitely a rep cheat.Trance is definitely a rep cheat.Trance is definitely a rep cheat.Trance is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zesti View Post
What is this witchcraft! Wish I could run fans with magic too! would save on electricity.

Also looking awesome, keep up the good work, love the efficient yet sleek design!
Lian Li PC-A61WX :: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.6GHz :: Cooler Master Nepton 280L :: 16gb Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz :: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK :: Crucial M.2 480GB :: Inno3D GTX770 2GB IChill HerculeZ X3 :: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W :: Corsair K60 :: Corsair M60 :: Corsair Vengeance 2000 :: Corsair MM400
Trance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2013, 18:48   #9
Evenge
Hypermodder

Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Oh yeah! Another one from you! Wish i could file as smooth edges as you do. Looks like I still have much to learn.
Old 14th Jun 2013, 20:22   #10
sixfootsideburns
modeteer

sixfootsideburns has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsixfootsideburns has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance View Post
What is this witchcraft! Wish I could run fans with magic too! would save on electricity.

Also looking awesome, keep up the good work, love the efficient yet sleek design!
If by magic you mean blowing into the fan to make it spin, then I'll bet your pretty damn magical too! Albeit pretty light headed if your trying to cool your PC that way

That was my first guess as to how he did it at least lol
Old 14th Jun 2013, 20:33   #11
Zesti
Aluminium + file

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenge View Post
Oh yeah! Another one from you! Wish i could file as smooth edges as you do. Looks like I still have much to learn.
Thanks mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfootsideburns View Post
If by magic you mean blowing into the fan to make it spin, then I'll bet your pretty damn magical too! Albeit pretty light headed if your trying to cool your PC that way

That was my first guess as to how he did it at least lol
It's just Noctua's new wireless fan technology.. Cable in the photo is just optional for older systems.

Old 15th Jun 2013, 02:11   #12
lobster_johnson
Fear the Claw of Justice!

lobster_johnson has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This is fantastic so far! I love the shape of the motherboard tray.

Can't wait to see this come together!
lobster_johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jun 2013, 15:57   #13
Zesti
Aluminium + file

Thanks!

Just some fine tuning of components.. After removing heatspreaders from the memory, brown sides of the PCB's really started to bother me. Little bit work with marker made them look much better:

Old 18th Jun 2013, 16:49   #14
sixfootsideburns
modeteer

its the small details that make or break it mate, nice touch with the black edges
Old 18th Jun 2013, 22:58   #15
Meelobee
Hypermodder

Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Buildlogs like this make me want to have 2 things. Crazy mod skills and a better cam..

Awesome work so far, the finish on the alu is amazing
Meelobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2013, 17:18   #16
Zesti
Aluminium + file

sixfootsideburns, couldn't agree more.

Meelobee, thanks! Your modding skills seem fine to me and good cameras are cheaper than ever..

Sanding these parts took forever..

Old 3rd Jul 2013, 05:20   #17
Ozel
What's a Dremel?

Ozel has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looks really smooth so far..
Amazing work
Ozel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jul 2013, 09:21   #18
perplekks45
LIKE AN ANIMAL!

perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
A lot of talent, great ideas, and Cheaps' approval? I'm in.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
perplekks45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jul 2013, 10:03   #19
Meelobee
Hypermodder

Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
lol @ 'No Step'

Amazing finish on the alu
Meelobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jul 2013, 10:22   #20
LegendaryScott
Trying to live up to the name

LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Simply awesome.
Cant wait to see more
PROJECT#001 - ON EXTENDED HIATUS DUE TO NEW BABY!!
LegendaryScott is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode