1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel locks overclocking to K-series Haswell chips

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 14 Jun 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Is anyone surprised by this?

3. Bob Andersson

Bob Andersson What's a Dremel?

That's weird. If VT-d is absent from the i7-4770K then it's no good to me. Are you absolutely sure about this? Can there possibly be an engineering reason or is Intel just playing silly beggars?

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Completely sure: Intel's Ark page for the Core i7-4770K confirms the fact: while it supports VT-x extensions, it does not support VT-d.

5. phoenixck

phoenixck What's a Dremel?

I was sure that in previous gens it was the bclk that people tweaked, more specifically in haswell the strap. Certainly jj from asus has stated that if you really want you can adjust the strap on the non k parts.

6. Bob Andersson

Yep, I've Googled and it's true. No VT-d support means no i7-4770K for me. I guess the i7-4770 will do fine and as no overclocking means I don't need a top of the range motherboard, RAM or cooling I can up the budget for other stuff. Crazy decision on Intel's part. Maybe a GTX Titan just came into range!!!

7. Freemanator

Freemanator What's a Dremel?

Bob, what do you need VT-d support for?

8. Bob Andersson

High speed access to hardware for virtual machines. Not a particular issue for me right now but within the lifetime of the next build I expect it to be. Even so it's a close call and I fully accept that for many lack of VT-d support in the "K" series CPUs won't be a problem. I'm just thankful I found out in time. :)

9. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

So they're not even allowing the 4 bins they gave on the Sandy and Ivy non K CPUs?

That's pretty terrible. Maybe the bclk can be used?

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

I wonder if Intel's reasoning is because VT-d becomes unstable when OCing. Otherwise, disabling such a feature on a more expensive CPU really doesn't make sense. I'm sure Intel also doesn't like the idea of people buying overclockable desktop parts for server use, since you'd end up saving a lot of money on something that will last much longer.

Last edited: 14 Jun 2013
  11. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

The Skt 2011 processors -K and not [or are they all 'K' models?] have VT-d support, it's only the 1156/1150 ones that don't... so want Virtualisation and overclocking? SB-E/IB-E is what you want/need...

EDIT: Apparently the SB-E K series only support VT-d on the C2 stepping...

There is also the AMD option... iirc all their processors have AMD-v or whatever their vitualisation gubbinz is called...

12. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I think the lack of VT-d issue has been persistent on all K models since Sandy launched.

13. Bob Andersson

Thanks for the quick response, Gareth. In asking the question I didn't mean to question your journalistic credentials: I was in shock! :)

14. rollo

rollo Modder

It has shirty as they want you to buy a more expensive CPU or a none overclockable one.

15. Gareth Halfacree

Heh! I hadn't taken any offence, don't worry - I was just in a bit of a rush this morning so had to be a bit terse in my reply. It's the TSX-NI that I weep for: developers are hardly going to be rushing to implement transactional memory if half the processors don't support it...