bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 14th Jun 2013, 10:01   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.
Intel locks overclocking to K-series Haswell chips

No Turbo Boost adjustments on non-K parts.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...overclocking/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2013, 10:30   #2
GravitySmacked
Mostly Harmless

GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Is anyone surprised by this?

GravitySmacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2013, 10:31   #3
Bob Andersson
What's a Dremel?

Bob Andersson has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
That's weird. If VT-d is absent from the i7-4770K then it's no good to me. Are you absolutely sure about this? Can there possibly be an engineering reason or is Intel just playing silly beggars?
Bob Andersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2013, 10:33   #4
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Andersson View Post
That's weird. If VT-d is absent from the i7-4770K then it's no good to me. Are you absolutely sure about this?
Completely sure: Intel's Ark page for the Core i7-4770K confirms the fact: while it supports VT-x extensions, it does not support VT-d.
Old 14th Jun 2013, 10:40   #5
phoenixck
Supermodder

phoenixck is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phoenixck is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phoenixck is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phoenixck is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phoenixck is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phoenixck is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phoenixck is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phoenixck is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phoenixck is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phoenixck is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phoenixck is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I was sure that in previous gens it was the bclk that people tweaked, more specifically in haswell the strap. Certainly jj from asus has stated that if you really want you can adjust the strap on the non k parts.

To do, put in a water loop, then fry all my components.
phoenixck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2013, 10:43   #6
Bob Andersson
What's a Dremel?

Yep, I've Googled and it's true. No VT-d support means no i7-4770K for me. I guess the i7-4770 will do fine and as no overclocking means I don't need a top of the range motherboard, RAM or cooling I can up the budget for other stuff. Crazy decision on Intel's part. Maybe a GTX Titan just came into range!!!
Old 14th Jun 2013, 13:21   #7
Freemanator
Minimodder

Freemanator has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Bob, what do you need VT-d support for?
Freemanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2013, 13:58   #8
Bob Andersson
What's a Dremel?

High speed access to hardware for virtual machines. Not a particular issue for me right now but within the lifetime of the next build I expect it to be. Even so it's a close call and I fully accept that for many lack of VT-d support in the "K" series CPUs won't be a problem. I'm just thankful I found out in time.
Old 14th Jun 2013, 14:06   #9
AlienwareAndy
Banned

AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.
So they're not even allowing the 4 bins they gave on the Sandy and Ivy non K CPUs?

That's pretty terrible. Maybe the bclk can be used?
AlienwareAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2013, 14:10   #10
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
I wonder if Intel's reasoning is because VT-d becomes unstable when OCing. Otherwise, disabling such a feature on a more expensive CPU really doesn't make sense. I'm sure Intel also doesn't like the idea of people buying overclockable desktop parts for server use, since you'd end up saving a lot of money on something that will last much longer.

Last edited by schmidtbag; 14th Jun 2013 at 15:42.
schmidtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2013, 14:13   #11
RedFlames
is not KidMod

RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.
The Skt 2011 processors -K and not [or are they all 'K' models?] have VT-d support, it's only the 1156/1150 ones that don't... so want Virtualisation and overclocking? SB-E/IB-E is what you want/need...

EDIT: Apparently the SB-E K series only support VT-d on the C2 stepping...

There is also the AMD option... iirc all their processors have AMD-v or whatever their vitualisation gubbinz is called...

RedFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2013, 14:38   #12
Shirty
R.I.P. KidMod

Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.
I think the lack of VT-d issue has been persistent on all K models since Sandy launched.
Old 14th Jun 2013, 15:16   #13
Bob Andersson
What's a Dremel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree
Completely sure: Intel's Ark page for the Core i7-4770K confirms the fact: while it supports VT-x extensions, it does not support VT-d.
Thanks for the quick response, Gareth. In asking the question I didn't mean to question your journalistic credentials: I was in shock!
Old 14th Jun 2013, 15:40   #14
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
It has shirty as they want you to buy a more expensive CPU or a none overclockable one.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2013, 16:27   #15
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Andersson View Post
Thanks for the quick response, Gareth. In asking the question I didn't mean to question your journalistic credentials: I was in shock!
Heh! I hadn't taken any offence, don't worry - I was just in a bit of a rush this morning so had to be a bit terse in my reply. It's the TSX-NI that I weep for: developers are hardly going to be rushing to implement transactional memory if half the processors don't support it...

Tags
haswell, intel, ivy bridge, k-series, sandy bridge, transactional memory, tsx, turbo boost, turbo boost bins, vpro, vt-d