bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 15th Jun 2013, 02:10   #1
Gtek
Doesn't raise the bar; he IS the bar.

Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Tenuis 2

Hi everybody!

It's me again, with yet another little project, Tenuis 2. As name suggests, it's design will be derived from original Tenuis, with few differences. Overall design and concept will remain roughly the same, but the most significant changes will be dimensions and general purpose. Tenuis 2 will be only 745mm tall, compared to previous 875mm and only 45mm thick. As you can imagine, 45mm including chassis is not much space for components, that's why Tenuis 2 is based on thin miniITX form factor. As there is no thin ITX montherboard with 16x pci-express expansion slot in existance yet, there will be no dedicated graphics card. GPU power addicts can stop reading here . For the rest, Tenuis 2 is going to be media/htpc or general computing PC. It will still be able to house i7 CPU with up to 16GB of ram, ssd, hdd, blu-ray optical drive and dedicated sound card or TV tuner.
As mentioned, general appearance will be very original Tenuis, that means black aluminium and real wood, and it's the wooden part (side panel) that I will start this short project log with.

I started with 3mm aluminium base, which I glued walnut panels on. I used high performance expansive PU adhesive. It's sometimes a mess to work with, parts need to be clamped for few hours, but once cured it's extremely effective and reliable.

Once all cured, settled and gardened, I sanded down any imperfections and started applying clear satin eco varnish. 7 layers.

And here it is finished. It might look like a solid chunk of walut but it's only 8mm thick shell. 5mm walnut boards on top of 3mm aluminium.

Next time, the main aluminium part of Tenuis 2...
Old 15th Jun 2013, 02:22   #2
Monsieur R.
In cornichons I trust.

Monsieur R. - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Monsieur R. - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Monsieur R. - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Monsieur R. - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Monsieur R. - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Monsieur R. - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Monsieur R. - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Monsieur R. - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Monsieur R. - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Monsieur R. - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Monsieur R. - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
If by "GPU" you mean Gtek Perfect Übermodding, I should confess I'm a GPU addict.
Old 15th Jun 2013, 12:00   #3
Gtek

Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsieur R. View Post
If by "GPU" you mean Gtek Perfect Übermodding, I should confess I'm a GPU addict.

Haha, not realy, but thank you
Old 15th Jun 2013, 12:04   #4
Pranja
Blackwolf

Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Oh, something pretty will be born here.
Pranja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jun 2013, 12:46   #5
quizz_kid
Squid

quizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
The original Tenuis had a truly beautiful design, so of course I'm looking forward to this one

Follow me on: https://www.facebook.com/lovehultenau
quizz_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jun 2013, 13:54   #6
LegendaryScott
Trying to live up to the name

LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Cannot wait to see more of this.
Absolutely loved the original

Last edited by LegendaryScott; 15th Jun 2013 at 19:38.
LegendaryScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jun 2013, 21:48   #7
matiss
Multimodder

matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.
Oh that will be sweet *grabs a chair*
Old 16th Jun 2013, 02:55   #8
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
All aboard the epic project log ride!
Burnout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2013, 13:54   #9
atc95
Need help with scratchbuild!

atc95 is definitely a rep cheat.atc95 is definitely a rep cheat.atc95 is definitely a rep cheat.atc95 is definitely a rep cheat.atc95 is definitely a rep cheat.atc95 is definitely a rep cheat.atc95 is definitely a rep cheat.atc95 is definitely a rep cheat.atc95 is definitely a rep cheat.atc95 is definitely a rep cheat.atc95 is definitely a rep cheat.
Can't wait for this, subbed!
[SIZE="2"][CENTER]i5 3550 //Asus P8Z77-VLX2 //Gigabyte windforce 7950 // 2x4gb C. Vengeance and 2x4gb Samsung Greens // samsung 256gb 830 // 750gb scorpio black // Corsair Carbide 300R // enermax ets t40 tb //Corsair CX 750W // Dell u2412m[SIZE="2"][CENTER]
atc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2013, 17:38   #10
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
I'm in. This should rock.
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2013, 19:01   #11
B NEGATIVE
All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

B NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitB NEGATIVE is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Aw yeah!
B NEGATIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2013, 20:03   #12
Gtek

Thanks guys!

Now, let's start with with the other, structurally more important part of the chassis. First I made and prepared first set of parts, 4 of them, for anodizing. These are ''exterior'' parts. The rest of the parts, internal ones, will be spray painted matte black.

First and most important part, on which most of other parts will be mounted on. made of 5mm 6000 grade aloy. hand brushed, for some ''personal touch''

Other side of same part. You can see mounting holes for other parts. Not that easy to drill and tap, as they cannot be visible from other side. There are 22 of these mounting holes.

Rest of parts for anodizing. Base plate and parts for rear of case.

And here are the same parts back from anodising... =)

Old 16th Jun 2013, 20:32   #13
Primum Agmen
Modder

Primum Agmen has yet to learn the way of the Dremel

Loved the first one, interested to see how this one goes together.
Primum Agmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2013, 20:57   #14
Evenge
Hypermodder

Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
This is going to be awesome!
Old 17th Jun 2013, 12:56   #15
Meelobee
Hypermodder

Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
The first was a beauty, can't wait to see how this turns out.

and wow at the tapped holes in the big alu plate, tapping holes that are not drilled all through is a pain, I can imagine doing it with 2mm margin is even worse, good job
Meelobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2013, 13:19   #16
sixfootsideburns
modeteer

sixfootsideburns has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsixfootsideburns has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
hope you have a bunch of bottoming taps! Tapping bottomed holes by hand is a pain the ass, so much clearing chips.

But knowing your build standards I'm sure the final results are worth the effort. Truly enjoy your logs man, and your design style is right up my ally. Looking forward to more of this. +rep for being awesome
sixfootsideburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2013, 13:23   #17
[ZiiP] NaloaC
I Mod, Therefore I Own

[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan
You and Attila... seriously, it's just glorious eye-candy every time!

Will be keeping an eye on this
Sui Generis: i7 920, Corsair H50, 6GB Dominator C7 1600, EVGA x58 SLI LE, Corsair F3 120GB SSD & Samsung EVO 250GB SSD, Samsung F3 1TB x 2, Sapphire R9 290, Corsair HX850W, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Iiyama 26" Prolite, Logitech G15, Logitech G5, Sennheiser PC350.
[ZiiP] NaloaC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2013, 14:25   #18
Primum Agmen
Modder

Primum Agmen has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Is this just going to have the CPU cooler fan in it then if you're working on a 45mm thickness? Or have you used an odd idea like an angled fan to draw more air into it?
Primum Agmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2013, 14:31   #19
Gtek

Thanks again guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelobee View Post
and wow at the tapped holes in the big alu plate, tapping holes that are not drilled all through is a pain, I can imagine doing it with 2mm margin is even worse, good job
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfootsideburns View Post
hope you have a bunch of bottoming taps! Tapping bottomed holes by hand is a pain the ass, so much clearing chips.

But knowing your build standards I'm sure the final results are worth the effort. Truly enjoy your logs man, and your design style is right up my ally. Looking forward to more of this. +rep for being awesome
Yeah, tapping and drilling of those holes I a nightmare. Even if I manage not to drill right trough, I have to go slow or tip of a drill bit or tap will create a small bump on the other side. So I drill first 3mm deep first, then another 1mm with end mill bit and then hand tapping...
Unfortunately , it is necessary to do it this way to keep whole design slim a clean. no visible screws, bolts or holes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ZiiP] NaloaC View Post
You and Attila... seriously, it's just glorious eye-candy every time!

Will be keeping an eye on this
lol thanks, but I think Attila is a different beast
Old 18th Jun 2013, 12:25   #20
Gtek

Ok, another little update. All the internal parts I made.

... and here the same parts, spray painted, together with the rest of the parts.

next time, assembly

Tags
gtek, intel, thin-itx

View Mode