1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding TARDIS Gaming Computer

Discussion in 'Modding' started by RebootTech, 26 Jun 2013.

1. RebootTech

RebootTech Budget? What Budget?

First off, didn't do a worklog on this because 1) my customer didn't want any spoilers, and 2) Pfaffen was doing a very similar mod at the time, and considering the super high quality of his work and the fact that his was a scratch build, it would have been kind of an ass move to post at the same time. That, and people on comparing the two would have been all "WTF" with mine...his is simply fantastic. Check it out here: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=236201

Requirements for the build were that it needed to be stock form factor for upgrades, needed to be powerful enough to run most modern games at 1080p, and needed to look fantastic. She (my customer) is a huge fan of a certain time traveler (with tatoos to prove it) and this project was made to honor that. Enjoy!

PLANNING AND MODDING
    I started with the SilverStone FT-03 due to it's shape. Windows were cut and a facade was attached to the outside. Lighting was added, including a hard drive light on top. Perhaps the coolest feature is a magnetic power button that starts the computer by touching a sonic screwdriver to the front of the case. Will try to get a video of that...it's pretty cool.

Post any questions and I'm happy to answer.

Specs:
    Core-i7-2700k OC'd to 4.6
    16GB DDR3 1600 RAM
    128GB SSD boot, 3TB data
    MSI GTX 660
    AIO Thermaltake Water 2.0 cooler

Here we go:

[​IMG]

Stripped the case down
    [​IMG]

Cut the windows in 3 sides
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Started building out facade
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Prime and paint using automotive paint. Was NOT finished smooth in order to look more aged, with some distress added
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Adding vinyl lettering, also added grid for windows
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 28 Jun 2013
  2. RebootTech

FINAL PICTURES:

Phone access door hides front audio and USB ports
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the startup screen:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 26 Jun 2013
  3. Trance

Trance Two steps forward, one step back

That is so awesome! Amazing job... the attention to detail is great.

4. 666painkiller

666painkiller If only....

very nice

5. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Great work !

6. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Nice work. At first I wondered how someone would fit all kinds of computer components inside such a small box, but then, you know. :D

I had been toying around with this idea recently, so it's nice to see some inspiration.

7. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

Wow its like its bigger on the inside :p

8. LegendaryScott

LegendaryScott Trying to live up to the name

Aaaaah, dammit.
    I wanted to make that joke! :duh:

Really nice tardis build, love it

9. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

Nice work, I like the general design - was thinking about something about half the height in wood for a scratch build myself but never had the need in the end.

Also, Epic picture sizes lol - wouldn't hurt to half the size on some of those 3000px 2mb images :)

10. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Pretty sweet.:D I'm worried that the cap on the top might hotbox your airflow, though.

11. RebootTech

Reasonable concern. However, the lid is actually cut out in back, which matches a cutout in the case. So there is a pretty large opening out the back. It's also where USB and video cables exit the case. I'd say it's about a 2"x5" rectangle that's completely open. Unfortunately, I don't appear to have a picture of it.

In testing, I ran it full bore for 24 hours and tested it with and without the top. The top DOES cause about a 4-5 degree increase in CPU temp and maybe a 2-3 degree increase in GPU temp...but that seamed reasonable and overall temps were only around 65 degrees based on RealTemp, OC'd to 4.5.

12. RebootTech

Fair enough. I depended too much on the forum re-displaying them smaller, but that does take a bit of download time. Pictures reduced. Enjoy!

13. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

RebootTech any idea how much the case build cost you ??

14. RebootTech

Not including the internals (so case itself only) parts alone were about $225 US. This included the wood, epoxy, LEDs, vinyl lettering (cut by vendor), acrylic for windows and the most expensive, the automotive paint and primer. This is all on top of the case itself, which was around $160 US.

I also have Sketchup drawings with measurements should anyone wish to view them. Final was a little different, but measurements were close enough to figure out.

15. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

only ask as there a company over here that has a laser cut version in aluminium but your build if a fraction of there cost but think theirs is with hard wear as well but starts from £935.99 (inc VAT) or $1425.42 :D.

Saying that I do prefer your build

16. RebootTech

Believe you're talking about the one by Scan. It was rumored before this project and came out when this was in the planning stages. Definitely a nice PC, esp with official license. However, 1) it's technically not available in the US (though I imagine I could have gotten one through UK friends), but more importantly 2) the specs were less than stellar. The Pentium Dual core was the deciding limiter.

So, while the build ended up being quite a bit more for my customer than that one, 75% of the increased cost was better parts, 10% was for "TARDIS" related parts, and 15% in labor. Think she got a pretty good deal considering the time invested ;-)

17. RebootTech

18. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Excellent :) Would love something like that myself, and I know my old house mate would too :D

19. asrock94

asrock94 What's a Dremel?

20. Concept73

Concept73 Wannabe modder.

i got a little bit to excited as i scrolled down the page to realise it was the Tardis!