bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 28th Jun 2013, 10:03   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Microsoft confirms DirectX 11.2 is a Windows 8.1, Xbox One exclusive

Shows off 'tiled resources' technology.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...directx-11-2/1
Gareth Halfacree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jun 2013, 10:16   #2
Hustler
Supermodder

Hustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for president
Installed 8.1 (by way of a Virtual machine) and it's a definite improvement, should be worth switching from W7....by the time we get to Windows 9.

As for DX11.2....lol, the only reason this blackmail came about in the first place was the promise of Halo 2 being a Vista DX10 only game back in 2007, and look how well that worked.
Hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jun 2013, 10:19   #3
Alecto
Multimodder

Alecto has yet to learn the way of the DremelAlecto has yet to learn the way of the DremelAlecto has yet to learn the way of the DremelAlecto has yet to learn the way of the DremelAlecto has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"Windows 8.1, Xbox One exclusive"

And not a single **** was given.
Alecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jun 2013, 10:22   #4
law99
Custom User Title

law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.
So the real clever trick is the need to upgrade. Was going to anyway... can hardly be too annoyed.

Will there be hardware compliance above and beyond what is required already?

Asking the same question differently: Do I have to buy another GFX card?
3570k WC @ 4.7giggles | 8gb Kingston 2133mhz | ASUS Sabertooth Z77 | R9 290 (awaiting wc block... ) | Seasonic x-660w | NZXT 810 switch | Crucial M4 128gb | 2x F3 1tb Raid 1 | NZXT Sentry 6ch 50w fan controller | eyefinity 4112x1024
law99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jun 2013, 10:27   #5
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by law99 View Post
That's not clear yet. My gut says 'no,' because the point of the feature is that it's independent to the graphics card drivers - some Nvidia and AMD cards already have the ability to steal a chunk of system RAM to boost the memory they've got on-board, but this is a separate thing that doesn't need to 'reserve' a chunk of RAM. There's no technological reason that I can think of for it to require new hardware.

That's only speculation on my part, though - Microsoft has yet to release any technical details about the system, and it's perfectly possible that resource tiling support will be dependent on special DirectX 11.2 graphics card drivers - in which case AMD and Nvidia may end up using the release to flog new graphics cards just as Microsoft is using it to flog Windows 8.1
Old 28th Jun 2013, 10:27   #6
WarrenJ
Mod Master

WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
So, who's up for a 9GB GTX790?
WarrenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jun 2013, 10:34   #7
konstantine
Banned

konstantine should be considered for presidentkonstantine should be considered for presidentkonstantine should be considered for presidentkonstantine should be considered for presidentkonstantine should be considered for presidentkonstantine should be considered for presidentkonstantine should be considered for presidentkonstantine should be considered for presidentkonstantine should be considered for presidentkonstantine should be considered for presidentkonstantine should be considered for president
Microsoft is not doing well when it comes to common sense. Pissing off their long term customers is not a good idea.
Many of their customers, especially desktop and workstation users, just have had no reason to upgrade to Windows 8, and now they're talking about Windows 8.1, which is basically windows 8 with a start menu that doesn't function the way people are used to..

I'm not saying Metro is bad, nor am I saying no one needs it. On those small-screen convertible ultrabooks, metro is quite nice, especially if you like to have a tablet like experience. On a big non-touch display, it's awful, and trying to emulate touch gestures on such displays is mind-blowing.

DX 11.2 sounds like a minor upgrade to the original DX11 API and I'm not convinced this so called Tiling is much of a needed "technology" when we have 4GBs of ram on sub-$200 graphics cards nowadays.
I don't think it will cost much to add another 4GBs and just call it a day for "Tiling".

Last edited by konstantine; 28th Jun 2013 at 12:46.
konstantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jun 2013, 10:36   #8
Harlequin
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Harlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming Saiyan
all MS are doing is the Apple model - nice upgrade to DX11 though
Old 28th Jun 2013, 10:38   #9
TheStockBroker
King Battletoad

TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecto
"Windows 8.1, Xbox One exclusive"

And not a single **** was given.
But this is good news for PC gamers... By allowing and promoting the use of this technology; and with the new consoles already being x86 - There's no reason for the delayed, crappy ports of yesteryear.

We have the same CPU architecture, can now mimic (to some extent) the console shared memory subsystem and have a fair bit more horespower in the PC form to make up for any anomalies...

We can hope, right?
Old 28th Jun 2013, 10:50   #10
maverik-sg1
Supermodder

maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
This is not enough reason to get Windows 8, in the same way that DX10 was not enough of a reason to get Vista - 18Months+ before people think this is essential and win9 will be out by then.

In some ways, this smacks of desperation by Microsoft, at the same time it's adding fuel to the fire of discontent for the anti-Microsoft posse too.

The history of small, incremental DX patches usually mean 3 parts of Fanny Adams to most of us, if it was not for Microsoft restricting it's access by making exlcusise to xbone and it's newest OS, none of us would notice or even care.
maverik-sg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jun 2013, 10:52   #11
konstantine
Banned

konstantine should be considered for presidentkonstantine should be considered for presidentkonstantine should be considered for presidentkonstantine should be considered for presidentkonstantine should be considered for presidentkonstantine should be considered for presidentkonstantine should be considered for presidentkonstantine should be considered for presidentkonstantine should be considered for presidentkonstantine should be considered for presidentkonstantine should be considered for president
Is windows 8.1 free to upgrade for Windows 7 users?

Last edited by konstantine; 28th Jun 2013 at 12:48.
Old 28th Jun 2013, 10:53   #12
konstantine
Banned

Is there a way to edit your post on bit-tech?

Edit: Thanks mate

Last edited by konstantine; 28th Jun 2013 at 12:48.
Old 28th Jun 2013, 10:54   #13
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
I agree. We got lumbered with DX9 for YEARS thanks to the PS3 having to go for a non-unified design. Better to start it with the very latest and by the time we all upgrade there might be games that use it. I've not read the specifics yet, but the issue name is a derivative of DX11 so I can imagine it will be compatible with existing DX11 spec.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jun 2013, 10:55   #14
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I almost shed a tear when there was no mention of OpenGL, 3dfx, and GLQuake when talking about the history of DirectX
I can see the sharing of system RAM being a bigger thing when we get Wellsburg but i don't see 11.2 causing people to rush out and buy a copy of 8.1 before that.
Corky42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jun 2013, 10:58   #15
law99
Custom User Title

law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree
Quote:
Originally Posted by law99 View Post
That's not clear yet. My gut says 'no,' because the point of the feature is that it's independent to the graphics card drivers - some Nvidia and AMD cards already have the ability to steal a chunk of system RAM to boost the memory they've got on-board, but this is a separate thing that doesn't need to 'reserve' a chunk of RAM. There's no technological reason that I can think of for it to require new hardware.

That's only speculation on my part, though - Microsoft has yet to release any technical details about the system, and it's perfectly possible that resource tiling support will be dependent on special DirectX 11.2 graphics card drivers - in which case AMD and Nvidia may end up using the release to flog new graphics cards just as Microsoft is using it to flog Windows 8.1
I'm with you on the hunch... but you never know... there could be something else in there that is hardware dependant. Perhaps it won't be required of the GFX card, but a minimum RAM spec... ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by konstantine
Is there a way to edit your post on bit-tech?
If you click on forums and go to the top category "Article Discussion" you can view your comments in the forum and do all the proper editing you'd expect from a forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi View Post
I agree. We got lumbered with DX9 for YEARS thanks to the PS3 having to go for a non-unified design. Better to start it with the very latest and by the time we all upgrade there might be games that use it. I've not read the specifics yet, but the issue name is a derivative of DX11 so I can imagine it will be compatible with existing DX11 spec.
Well at least this time there is unified gfx architecture in place.
3570k WC @ 4.7giggles | 8gb Kingston 2133mhz | ASUS Sabertooth Z77 | R9 290 (awaiting wc block... ) | Seasonic x-660w | NZXT 810 switch | Crucial M4 128gb | 2x F3 1tb Raid 1 | NZXT Sentry 6ch 50w fan controller | eyefinity 4112x1024
law99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jun 2013, 11:07   #16
SAimNE
Multimodder

SAimNE has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
now here's hoping ps4 uses openGL... one of the few pieces still needed for linux gaming is openGL being more widespread. if all works out i'll never have to buy another microsoft product unless i actually WANT it.
SAimNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jun 2013, 11:09   #17
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAimNE View Post
now here's hoping ps4 uses openGL... one of the few pieces still needed for linux gaming is openGL being more widespread. if all works out i'll never have to buy another microsoft product unless i actually WANT it.
The PS4's operating system is Orbis OS, a fork of FreeBSD - so it certainly ain't going to be using DirectX...
Old 28th Jun 2013, 11:12   #18
Florian
Multimodder

Florian has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Storing textures in system memory has been a feature since AGP first game along...
Florian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jun 2013, 11:19   #19
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian View Post
Storing textures in system memory has been a feature since AGP first game along...
This is very distinct: somebody's uploaded a snippet of the talk to YouTube that shows Leblond explaining roughly how the system works - but, for some reason, Microsoft hasn't published a full video of the keynote nor any documentation on the technology for public access. It also has Leblond claiming that the technology is fully compatible with DirectX 11 graphics hardware, which I missed when I was making notes of the presentation - although, again, there's no detail as to whether that relies on a driver update from the vendors or not.

EDIT: Found a little more information over on MSDN:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microsoft
Windows 8.1 Preview includes a new Direct3D feature called tiled resources, which exposes a limited virtual graphics memory model to apps and thereby permits loose mapping between logical resource data and physical memory. This allows the creation of large logical resources that utilize small amounts of physical memory. This is useful (for example) with terrain in games, and app UI.

Tiled resources are created by specifying the D3D11_RESOURCE_MISC_TILED flag. See the following API functions for working with tiled resources: UpdateTiles, UpdateTileMappings, and GetResourceTiling.
Interestingly, the code sample includes a step that checks to see if the hardware supports tiled resources - meaning, despite Leblond's claims, it will be dependent on driver support from AMD/Nvidia/Intel, and won't be compatible with all DirectX11 cards unless and until those companies decide to make it so.

Last edited by Gareth Halfacree; 28th Jun 2013 at 11:27. Reason: More details.
Old 28th Jun 2013, 11:20   #20
damien c
Mad FPS Gamer

damien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Well if the games I play work properly on Windows 8 for me, I would switch to Windows 8.1 but if they don't work properly I will stick to Windows 7.

I will however wait till 8.1 is officially released before I try it.
damien c is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antione leblond, direct3d, directx, directx 11.2, tiled resources, windows, windows 8, windows 8.1, xbox, xbox 360, xbox one