bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 3rd Jul 2013, 11:39   #1
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
Double Fine Adventure now too big for current funds

Broken Age is being split into two parts with the first going on sale through Steam Early Access to fund the second.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...ig-for-curre/1
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jul 2013, 12:00   #2
Icy EyeG
Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

Icy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
After a closer look at the project, the studio found that to bring Broken Age in under budget and for it to hit its intended release date, approximately three quarters of the project would have to be cut.
I've heard of this problem Broken Age was going through, but never thought it would be this serious.
They could transform it in a trilogy, but I don't know if that's possible or if they could keep the crowd-funding momentum...

EDIT: Here's the whole post by Tim Schafer: http://kotaku.com/somehow-tim-schafe...more-652014092

Last edited by Icy EyeG; 3rd Jul 2013 at 12:07.
Icy EyeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jul 2013, 12:52   #3
Syphadeus
What's a Dremel?

Syphadeus should be considered for presidentSyphadeus should be considered for presidentSyphadeus should be considered for presidentSyphadeus should be considered for presidentSyphadeus should be considered for presidentSyphadeus should be considered for presidentSyphadeus should be considered for presidentSyphadeus should be considered for presidentSyphadeus should be considered for presidentSyphadeus should be considered for presidentSyphadeus should be considered for president
I think many will have seen this coming and this is one of the problems with Schafer - his ambition often gets the better of him. The financial equation doesn't balance. Despite raising over 8x the original ask, with that only 0.25x the game can be made? Sorry, but I'm not surprised he has problems getting financial backing from publishers with a mindset like that.

I mean, being a legendary game creator / producer is only going to get you so far. Sure, the second part of the game is going to be given for free *IF* they raise the required capital. However, this will be a massive kick in the teeth to the credibility of this business model.
Syphadeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jul 2013, 13:19   #4
GoodBytes
How many wifi's does it have?

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Actually I am surprised he will get something.
As a fan of Tim Shaffer games, and funded DoubleFine Adventure Game, I knew that Tim goes a bit overboard in making a game, and also his games, in his eyes, are never finished. So I expected numerous delays and see a Blizzard style "coming soon" (e.g: Blizzard announces a game that is coming soon, takes "5 years" before it's out)

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB
GoodBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jul 2013, 16:38   #5
sotu1
Ex-Modder

sotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syphadeus
I think many will have seen this coming and this is one of the problems with Schafer - his ambition often gets the better of him. The financial equation doesn't balance. Despite raising over 8x the original ask, with that only 0.25x the game can be made? Sorry, but I'm not surprised he has problems getting financial backing from publishers with a mindset like that.

I mean, being a legendary game creator / producer is only going to get you so far. Sure, the second part of the game is going to be given for free *IF* they raise the required capital. However, this will be a massive kick in the teeth to the credibility of this business model.
Everything here +1.

One of the big reasons I'm dubious over Kickstarter.
Old 3rd Jul 2013, 17:00   #6
Joey Propane
Supermodder

Joey Propane is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Joey Propane is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Joey Propane is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Joey Propane is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Joey Propane is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Joey Propane is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Joey Propane is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Joey Propane is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Joey Propane is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Joey Propane is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Joey Propane is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
In a message sent to backers, studio head Tim Schafer explained that the money they had raised resulted in him 'getting excited and deciding to buy a speedboat so big that it would need even more money'.
More like.

Call me skeptical, but I always assume kickstarter funds are for buying speedboats... and cocaine.
Joey Propane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jul 2013, 18:55   #7
Gradius
IT Consultant

Gradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for president
With all that money I'm pretty sure someone will screw up everything pretty soon. Btw, by money you need to be VERY realistic AND a good management! AFTER all that should come the project you're aspiring for.
Gradius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jul 2013, 20:18   #8
Syphadeus
What's a Dremel?

Syphadeus should be considered for presidentSyphadeus should be considered for presidentSyphadeus should be considered for presidentSyphadeus should be considered for presidentSyphadeus should be considered for presidentSyphadeus should be considered for presidentSyphadeus should be considered for presidentSyphadeus should be considered for presidentSyphadeus should be considered for presidentSyphadeus should be considered for presidentSyphadeus should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodBytes
Actually I am surprised he will get something.
As a fan of Tim Shaffer games, and funded DoubleFine Adventure Game, I knew that Tim goes a bit overboard in making a game, and also his games, in his eyes, are never finished. So I expected numerous delays and see a Blizzard style "coming soon" (e.g: Blizzard announces a game that is coming soon, takes "5 years" before it's out)
That's fine for you, if you expected it, but when you sit and think about it, is expecting it really that good a thing? It's true that many games get delayed and pushed back, but if you're someone who's so notorious for it that your fans actually expect it to happen, it almost becomes a joke.

Joey's speedboat comment is actually pretty on the ball. Imagine, for just a moment, that you changed this set up and substituted Schafer for Peter Molyneux. My god, people would be screaming that he'd stole their money.

Bottom line is, Schafer is riding on a wave comprised solely of his own reputation. If he messes this up, and in a way, it sounds like he kind of already has, there won't a ripple for him next time, let alone a wave.
Syphadeus is offline   Reply With Quote