bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 4th Jul 2013, 10:56   #1
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
MSI GeForce GTX 760 Twin Frozr OC 2GB Review

MSI pairs the GTX 760 with its new Twin Frozr cooler, with an eye to some awesome overclocks.
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/201...oc-2gb-revie/1
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jul 2013, 11:35   #2
Parge
ITX FTW

Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.
Though the delta is undoubtedly the way to go for reviews, would you be able to tell us what temps the GPU core reached under load?

Parvum ITX - 3570k - GTX 770 - Asus P8Z77-I ITX - 8GB Tactical Tracer - 256GB SSD - 480GB SSD - H80
Parge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jul 2013, 12:16   #3
Hustler
Supermodder

Hustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for president
Any news on when 4GB versions of the 760 will start to arrive?
Hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jul 2013, 12:28   #4
Baz
I work for Corsair

Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustler
No news, and if precedent's anything to go by, they'll make little to no difference anyway. 770 2GB is lots faster with the same 2GB, 780 only has 3GB and goes faster than 6GB Titan with a bit of OC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parge
Though the delta is undoubtedly the way to go for reviews, would you be able to tell us what temps the GPU core reached under load?
64C stock, 68C when OC, in 24C ambient under extended load. Fan rpm in the screenshot of 1142.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jul 2013, 12:30   #5
Lenderz
Supermodder

Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz
Quote:
No news, and if precedent's anything to go by, they'll make little to no difference anyway. 770 2GB is lots faster with the same 2GB, 780 only has 3GB and goes faster than 6GB Titan with a bit of OC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parge
64C stock, 68C when OC, in 24C ambient under extended load. Fan rpm in the screenshot of 1142.
Its not really about speed in todays games, but rather tomorrows, with the new consoles increase in memory the chances are texture sizes are going to be increased and memory is going to be a lot more important. If I was to replace my card today I'd want 4gig to have a bit of future proofing personally.
Lenderz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jul 2013, 12:50   #6
Azariel
Multimodder

Azariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for president
Was really looking forward to getting either this one or the Asus version as they seem to perform quite well! Sadly though, EK indicated they will not be making water blocks for it...

(And, yes, I know watercooling is far from a necessity on this card, but when doing a water cooled system, I would like to do the entire system, not just the CPU )
Azariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jul 2013, 12:55   #7
Hustler
Supermodder

Hustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz
Quote:
It wasn't really about it being any faster, just thought a 4GB one of these would make an excellent card to last me 3yrs or so, with the PS4 and 8GB of GDDR5, ports to the PC will need all the Vram they can get..
Hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jul 2013, 13:14   #8
AlienwareAndy
Banned

AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.
Very nice card. It's always nice to see a premium cooling solution make it to a mid ranged card that's affordable
AlienwareAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jul 2013, 13:54   #9
SchizoFrog
Hypermodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I read a little bit somewhere that with a 256bit memory interface the extra memory of a 4GB card doesn't get used any way and to use more than the standard 2GB you really need a memory interface of 512bit so it still wouldn't make a difference even in tomorrows games. Not sure how true this all is as I wasn't really paying attention as I was looking for some other info at the time.
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
SchizoFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jul 2013, 14:41   #10
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
Don't think we will see the low end cards with 4gb of ram in them, even the 670/680s with 4gb in we're poor sellers and very hard to find due to that. Mostly because the extra ram was only needed under SLI at multi monitor resolutions, and if your paying for multi monitor buying 2 top end cards is hardly the main cost of your rig.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jul 2013, 15:06   #11
Panos
Multimodder

Panos can run CrysisPanos can run CrysisPanos can run CrysisPanos can run CrysisPanos can run CrysisPanos can run CrysisPanos can run CrysisPanos can run CrysisPanos can run CrysisPanos can run CrysisPanos can run Crysis
Nothing new here.
Seems my GTX580 going to be replaced by an AMD 8000 series when they come out in Autumn.
Panos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jul 2013, 15:12   #12
SchizoFrog
Hypermodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
It's getting quite hard to keep up with the 3rd party coolers. Nearly all the manufacturers offer their own take on a custom cooler set-up with some companies offering custom PCBs with upgraded components such as this MSI board and ASUS's options too. As good as this individual model seems to have been, I am a little dubious of MSI cards these days as many, many people have had issues with the older Twin Frozr II and the earlier models of the Twin Frozr III. I think I would still punt for the ASUS model with their Direct CU II cooler or possibly their 'mini' version of the GTX760 which is apparently coming.
Old 4th Jul 2013, 15:28   #13
Shirty
Alan Fistington

Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.
In my experience of the "old" Twin Frozr III (slapped on a 560Ti 448) it was one of the loudest cards I've ever had the misfortune of owning.

Admittedly that card probably kicked out another 50w of thermals compared to the 760 but even so I couldn't live with it long term.

Sounds like they've tweaked it a bit and married it beautifully to this card though.
Shirty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jul 2013, 16:31   #14
SchizoFrog
Hypermodder

That is exactly the card my friend had and it ran at full speed all the time and had temps just below the thermal threshold even when not playing games, and as you say, it was loud as hell.
Old 4th Jul 2013, 17:58   #15
SuicideNeil
I'm insane, not stupid.

SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.
One thing I find odd/annoying about these reviews is the OC performance charts; it's hardly fair to compare an overclocked card against non-overclocked ones as it gives a false sense of performance. Compare how well all the tested cards do ( or just a selection as is the case now ) when overclocked and it be much more representative of it's overclocked performance....
Old 4th Jul 2013, 20:35   #16
N17 dizzi
Packet of mints and a Phillips head

N17 dizzi is definitely a rep cheat.N17 dizzi is definitely a rep cheat.N17 dizzi is definitely a rep cheat.N17 dizzi is definitely a rep cheat.N17 dizzi is definitely a rep cheat.N17 dizzi is definitely a rep cheat.N17 dizzi is definitely a rep cheat.N17 dizzi is definitely a rep cheat.N17 dizzi is definitely a rep cheat.N17 dizzi is definitely a rep cheat.N17 dizzi is definitely a rep cheat.
2 of these vs a single 780 would be good to see
N17 dizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jul 2013, 20:50   #17
bullseye
Who dares wins

bullseye has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
both more than 20 per cent increases that saw the card dominate the 20 dearer GTX 670 2GB

In which graph?

Peripherals: 24" iiyama Pro Game 144hz/ Qpad MK50 Pro MX Black/ Razer Deathadder 2013/ Qpad QH90 Pro
bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jul 2013, 21:56   #18
SchizoFrog
Hypermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseye
both more than 20 per cent increases that saw the card dominate the 20 dearer GTX 670 2GB

In which graph?
Um, the ones on the 'Overclocking' pages...
Old 5th Jul 2013, 01:41   #19
SuicideNeil
I'm insane, not stupid.

SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseye View Post

In which graph?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog View Post
That's the problem that I just noted- the 760 only beats the 670 when the 760 is overclocked; that is a totally unfair comparison and poor testing.

Compare an overclocked 670 against the overclocked 760 and I imagine the 670 will still beat the it. /logic
Old 5th Jul 2013, 02:34   #20
SchizoFrog
Hypermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideNeil
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseye View Post

In which graph?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog View Post
That's the problem that I just noted- the 760 only beats the 670 when the 760 is overclocked; that is a totally unfair comparison and poor testing.

Compare an overclocked 670 against the overclocked 760 and I imagine the 670 will still beat the it. /logic
How is it an unfair comparison? In the games benchmarks they test a stock 670 as well as other stock cards along side this MSI overclocked but off the shelf 760 so you know exactly where this particular card stacks up against the stock cards of other models. In the separate 'Overclocking' section they test this particular card and see how far the user can further overclock and then test to see where the user overclocked card stands up against the GTX760's closest rival to show the sort of performance you can get. You can't expect BT to test every overclocked model from every manufacturer.