bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 5th Jul 2013, 10:07   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Leaked slide teases Intel Skylake features

Broadwell's successor promises much.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...ntel-skylake/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jul 2013, 10:54   #2
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Rumor has it Skylake will come with SATA Express to
Corky42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jul 2013, 11:36   #3
SchizoFrog
Ultramodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
As much as the architecture changes will be on Skylake (is it just me that wants to call it Skyfall?) I think it will take a year or so for DDR4 to mature and for GPUs to make use of the extra bandwidth so I think the real benefits won't actually hit the end user until Skylake's successor or later.
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
SchizoFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jul 2013, 14:24   #4
LEESY1
Modder

LEESY1 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hey guys. I thought Broadwell had been cancelled?. Last month there were reports Intel were having problems with the shrink to 14nm?, hence the delay on the shrink process.. Therefore they decided only to refresh Haswell next year (unless they are now calling this refresh Broadwell). Many tech sites mentioned this. There's also discussions on this on places such as Anandtech. Therefore Skylake was going to be the first 14nm Cpu from Intel.

http://www.dailytech.com/Report+Inte...ticle31770.htm

Can anyone clear this up?

Lee
LEESY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jul 2013, 15:31   #5
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEESY1 View Post
Can anyone clear this up?
I think the only people who can clear up, what are after all nothing but rumors would be Intel and as they never comment on rumors we will just have to wait and see.
Old 5th Jul 2013, 16:49   #6
Stanley Tweedle
Ultramodder

Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I need to find a way to max out my PCIe 3 so I can justify 4.

Oh wait... I don't have a PCIe 3 cpu. Oh well.

The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.
Stanley Tweedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jul 2013, 20:43   #7
Blackshark
Multimodder

Blackshark has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
allowing manufacturers to install Xeon Phi co-processors in high-performance computing systems alongside, rather than in the place of, graphics processing unit (GPU) based accelerator boards

Excellent news
Blackshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jul 2013, 20:55   #8
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackshark View Post
allowing manufacturers to install Xeon Phi co-processors in high-performance computing systems alongside, rather than in the place of, graphics processing unit (GPU) based accelerator boards

Excellent news
Yeah, nobody else seems to have picked up on that bit. If the slide is accurate, it's a game-changer for Intel - and it's hard to see it as anything other than a response to the threat that ARM poses. You look at the world's top supercomputers: in the vast majority, the Intel or AMD CPUs are only there to feed the GPUs with data - they account for 10 per cent or less of the overall compute power. As a result, manufacturers - including Nvidia - are looking at replacing the power-hungry x86 serial processors with nice low-power ARM chips.

Obviously, Intel can't allow that - but nobody's going to take them seriously if they suggest supercomputers based on Atom, and they can't be seen recommending GPU-based accelerator boards with Xeon chips. The solution, it would seem, is to socketise Xeon Phi and sell it as a 50-core CPU - not co-processor - for the HPC market. Then if customers stick Teslas in the spare PCIe slots, well, it's hardly Intel's fault, is it?

Imagine: a supercomputer that not only has 4,000 GPUs but 4,000 Xeon Phi chips - each of which offers 50 Pentium-class x86 cores. Massively parallel or wot?
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2013, 07:04   #9
Corky42
Mod Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree View Post
Yeah, nobody else seems to have picked up on that bit. If the slide is accurate, it's a game-changer for Intel - and it's hard to see it as anything other than a response to the threat that ARM poses.
Not only a response to ARM but anything that helps sell Xeon Phi chips hurts Nvidia's GPU business and its future server processor business as well as all these guys....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_arc...#ARM_licensees
Quote:
Many semiconductor or IC design firms hold ARM licences: Analog Devices, AppliedMicro, Atmel, Broadcom, Cirrus Logic, Energy Micro, Faraday Technology, Freescale, Fujitsu, Intel (through its settlement with Digital Equipment Corporation), IBM, Infineon Technologies (Infineon XMC4000 32bit mcu family), Marvell Technology Group, MediaTek, Nintendo, Nvidia, NXP Semiconductors, OKI, Qualcomm, Samsung, Sharp, STMicroelectronics and Texas Instruments are some of the many companies who have licensed the ARM in one form or another.

Tags
14nm, avx, avx 3.2, broadwell, haswell, haswell new instructions, knights corner, knights landing, skylake, xeon, xeon phi