bit-tech.net

Old 8th Jul 2013, 08:45   #1
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
Star Citizen hits $14m

Chris Roberts' sprawling space sim Star Citizen has reached $14m in funding.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...zen-hits-14m/1
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2013, 09:19   #2
bowman
Supermodder

bowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This game is trying to be everything to everyone. I don't think this will end as well as some do.

Needless to say, I haven't sent them any money..
bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2013, 11:22   #3
bawjaws
Hypermodder

bawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyan
They certainly seem to be aiming very high indeed. Good luck to them, but I'll wait and see myself.

As an aside, how far will $14m go? It sounds like a lot of money, but as I've got no idea how much a game like this costs to develop it's difficult to get a feel for how big or otherwise this is in game development terms.
bawjaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2013, 11:45   #4
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawjaws View Post
As an aside, how far will $14m go? It sounds like a lot of money, but as I've got no idea how much a game like this costs to develop it's difficult to get a feel for how big or otherwise this is in game development terms.
Well, Grand Theft Auto IV was developed on a budget of $100 million, while Halo 3 was a snip at $55 million. So, not very far.

However, the teams working on the above games were bigger, the companies behind them were bigger, and a lot of the cash was splashed on Hollywood voice talent and licensed music. Take those away, and you can probably drop the budgets considerably - but still, if you're aiming for a AAA title in today's market, $14 million is a very tight budget. For an indie game, by contrast, it'd be like winning the lottery - and would probably kill the game as the developer suddenly decides to add ALL THE FEATURES as a result of having so much finding, and fails to finish even one of 'em properly.
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2013, 12:05   #5
bawjaws
Hypermodder

bawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree View Post
Well, Grand Theft Auto IV was developed on a budget of $100 million, while Halo 3 was a snip at $55 million. So, not very far.

However, the teams working on the above games were bigger, the companies behind them were bigger, and a lot of the cash was splashed on Hollywood voice talent and licensed music. Take those away, and you can probably drop the budgets considerably - but still, if you're aiming for a AAA title in today's market, $14 million is a very tight budget. For an indie game, by contrast, it'd be like winning the lottery - and would probably kill the game as the developer suddenly decides to add ALL THE FEATURES as a result of having so much finding, and fails to finish even one of 'em properly.
Thanks for the reply, Gareth. I think I'm struggling a bit to see where this game lies on the spectrum between Indie and AAA game. It looks like they're aiming at the AAA end, in which case $14m doesn't look like a huge budget. I'm hoping that it does well, as it's right up my street, but I am concerned that their ambition will exceed their means
Old 8th Jul 2013, 13:00   #6
kosch
Trango in the Mango

kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.
They don't just have the $14m from crowd funding they also got some private investment which I think was between $10-$20m.
kosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2013, 13:05   #7
Flibblebot
Smile with me

Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.
bawjaws, I think judging by the video on their website, it looks as though they're going for an AAA look. All we can hope is that they have the gameplay and back-end setup to backup those pretty graphics.

The one thing that does worry me at the moment is that this is supposed to be an online game, but there's no mention as yet of subscription models or costs.
Old 8th Jul 2013, 13:13   #8
kosch
Trango in the Mango

kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.
I seem to remember something about one of the stretch goals being met so they had enough money to pay for the online version to be free for a year, although it will be like free lancer where you can have your own private servers running etc.
kosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2013, 13:48   #9
bawjaws
Hypermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flibblebot View Post
bawjaws, I think judging by the video on their website, it looks as though they're going for an AAA look. All we can hope is that they have the gameplay and back-end setup to backup those pretty graphics.

The one thing that does worry me at the moment is that this is supposed to be an online game, but there's no mention as yet of subscription models or costs.
Cheers for the link, will check it out after work. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled to see how this pans out - I'll reiterate that I'd love to see this be a massive success, but I still have my doubts as to whether it'll deliver all it promises.
Old 8th Jul 2013, 16:03   #10
SMIFFYDUDE
Supermodders on my D

SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.
Is there anything less helpful than a PDF manual for a game?
Cooler Master HAF 932 | ASUS Rampage II Extreme | i7 930@4.1 | Corsair H50 | 12GB OCZ PC3-12800 Gold | x2 Palit GTX 560Ti 2GB | XFX Pro 750W XXX | HP LP2475w | Speedlink Medusa NX 5.1 | CM Storm Inferno | Logitech G27 | Windows 7 Home Premium

SMIFFYDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2013, 16:06   #11
Phalanx
Needs more dragons and stuff.

Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flibblebot View Post

They have stated from the start it's not a subscription-based game.

Quote:
Star Citizen will take the best of all possible worlds, ranging from a permanent, persistent world similar to those found in MMOs to an offline, single player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series. The game will include the option for private servers, like Freelancer, and will offer plenty of opportunities for players who are interested in modding the content. Unlike many games, none of these aspects is an afterthought: they all combine to form the core of the Star Citizen experience.
Source: http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Fr...sked_Questions
Old 8th Jul 2013, 17:53   #12
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!

Old 8th Jul 2013, 18:31   #13
Parge
ITX FTW

Parge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Ok so lets clear a few things up.

The game is going to cost $22m to make in Chris Roberts vision. This is because they haven't got a marketing budget, an HR department, massive teams of staff, a media agency to buy ad airtime, and all the other huge overheads that go with making a game with EA/Activision/Ubisoft.

The original target was $2m - with the other $20m coming from private investors that had already been lined up.

However, since the campaign has been so amazingly successful, they've decided that they might be able to pay for the entire development via crowdfunding. This is great because its now a game made by gamers, paid for by gamers and played by gamers, and nowhere is their a publisher or suit trying to make a quick buck or influencing the game to make it 'more accessible to the console crowd etc etc'.

Given the MASSIVE amount of stuff that is released every single week over at the Roberts Space Industries site, so far its looking absolutely top notch. Chris Roberts has a great pedigree in these types of games, and the community is already huge.

Based on the above, I would predict, that this may well be heralded by some as one of the greatest PC games of all time in about 18 months.

Parvum ITX - 3570k - GTX 970 - Asus P8Z77-I ITX - 8GB Tactical Tracer - 256GB SSD - 480GB SSD - H80

29" Ultrawide, Oculus Rift & X52 Pro
Parge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2013, 23:04   #14
mattyh1995
Hypermodder

mattyh1995 is a Super Spamming Saiyanmattyh1995 is a Super Spamming Saiyanmattyh1995 is a Super Spamming Saiyanmattyh1995 is a Super Spamming Saiyanmattyh1995 is a Super Spamming Saiyanmattyh1995 is a Super Spamming Saiyanmattyh1995 is a Super Spamming Saiyanmattyh1995 is a Super Spamming Saiyanmattyh1995 is a Super Spamming Saiyanmattyh1995 is a Super Spamming Saiyanmattyh1995 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I really really want to donate to this, but there's something yelling at me in the back of my mind saying don't do it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTXGL0xPyLA
| CM Storm Stryker | Corsair TX750 PSU | Creative SoundblasterZ |
| Steam - [UK] Holcroft |
mattyh1995 is offline   Reply With Quote