bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 8th Jul 2013, 09:01   #1
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
SilverStone Sugo SG10 Review

SilverStone's SG09 gets kitted out with a gorgeous aluminium front panel, and the SG10 is born.
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cas...-sg10-review/1
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2013, 09:25   #2
Sim0n
rm -rf /

Sim0n has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Pic 16 on page 4 seems to link to a 404 ;

http://images.bit-tech.net/content_i...ew/sg10-16.jpg

Looks like the link should end sg-16b.jpg as that loads
Sim0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2013, 09:38   #3
Dogbert666
I benchmark, therefore I am.
bit-tech Staff

Dogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Cheers, fixed
Dogbert666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2013, 09:39   #4
Spreadie
http://goo.gl/vNwEky

Spreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Well, it's prettier that the SG09, but I don't think it's worth the extra money for just a bit of bent mesh.

Still amazed at the HDD mounts behind the CPU area, and lack of airflow back there.

2500K|Z77E-ITX|8GB|680|3007WFP-HC|DS Cube
Spreadie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2013, 11:59   #5
Baz
I work for Corsair

Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadie
Well, it's prettier that the SG09, but I don't think it's worth the extra money for just a bit of bent mesh.

Still amazed at the HDD mounts behind the CPU area, and lack of airflow back there.
Yes, there's a lack of airflow, but SSDs need minimal, if any, cooling and HDDs are designed to run at reasonably high temps (40C-50C) without any serious increase in failure rates outside of 3-years.

Check out Google's nifty study. It's from way back in 2007, but still relevant. http://static.googleusercontent.com/...k_failures.pdf
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2013, 12:05   #6
SchizoFrog
Ultramodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Hey BT. I am really interested in this case. So thanks for the review. Just one thing, you say the optical drive is external in the feature list at the bottom of page 1. Surely it is an internal drive?

Also, is there any way to find out how the use of an AIO CPU cooler such as the H80i impacts on airflow and then cooling of the system as a whole? Does it restrict the airflow out of the rear fan and then cause the interior to heat up a little more or does it enable the top fan to cool more effectively as the heat from the CPU isn't transferred to the air inside the case? Or does it make no real difference?
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
SchizoFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2013, 12:26   #7
SchizoFrog
Ultramodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
*cough, cough* 'inside' of 3 years Baz.
Old 8th Jul 2013, 12:31   #8
Dogbert666
bit-tech Staff

Dogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Hi SchizoFrog. By external it only means that you can access the drive externally (i.e. by putting your discs in and out!), but yes the drive itself is still contained internally.

I'd love to help you out on the AIO thing with a proper confirmation, but I won't have time to rebuild everything with the H80i in place just to rerun the tests, sorry. That said, with an AIO cooler drawing heat away from the CPU, I can't see why there'd be an issue. The Air Penetrator fan really is quite good, and with the coverage it provides there should still be ample airflow for the VRMs and memory, and the limited airflow that does find its way to the HDDs and SSDs will be unaffected. The only issue could be the GPU, although the air from the top fan is directed at its backplate anyway - provided the front 120mm remains mostly unobstructed and you have even a half decent GPU cooler fitted, there shouldn't be any issues
Old 8th Jul 2013, 12:43   #9
SchizoFrog
Ultramodder

Thanks Dogbert666. It seems rather counter intuitive to have an intake fan blowing downwards at the back of the system, directly in front the rear exhaust fan, surely most of the air would be sucked straight back out of the case?
That said, maybe I shouldn't worry about the seeming logic of it and just rely on the cooling figures.
Old 8th Jul 2013, 12:52   #10
AlienwareAndy
Banned

AlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Does it allow triple slot GPU cooling?
AlienwareAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2013, 12:56   #11
Dogbert666
bit-tech Staff

No worries. I agree it does seem rather counter intuitive, but equally the main components the fan is designed to cool should still have plenty of concentrated airflow around them.

Naturally this is all speculation, but I personally can't see any glaring reasons why such a set-up wouldn't work out.
Old 8th Jul 2013, 12:57   #12
Spreadie
http://goo.gl/vNwEky

Spreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
Yes, there's a lack of airflow, but SSDs need minimal, if any, cooling and HDDs are designed to run at reasonably high temps (40C-50C) without any serious increase in failure rates outside of 3-years.

Check out Google's nifty study. It's from way back in 2007, but still relevant. http://static.googleusercontent.com/...k_failures.pdf
Yes, but a HDD behind the CPU area with no airflow can reach and exceed 50 degrees in minutes.

2500K|Z77E-ITX|8GB|680|3007WFP-HC|DS Cube
Spreadie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2013, 13:01   #13
Dogbert666
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienwareAndy
Does it allow triple slot GPU cooling?
Yep! Four expansion slots in total.
Old 8th Jul 2013, 13:58   #14
AlienwareAndy
Banned

AlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert666 View Post
Yep! Four expansion slots in total.
Doh what a tremendous brain fart that was I thought it was ITX.

Derp de derp derp

Mind you, in defence of my derpness it is very small
AlienwareAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2013, 15:10   #15
Dogbert666
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienwareAndy
Doh what a tremendous brain fart that was I thought it was ITX.

Derp de derp derp

Mind you, in defence of my derpness it is very small
Haha. When I first the SG09 before this one I thought it was an ITX case too!
Old 8th Jul 2013, 21:03   #16
Er-El
Supermodder

Er-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The fact it has no usb 2.0 ports makes this very compelling.
Er-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2013, 07:03   #17
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
It's also designed such that your PSU intake fan can face into or out of the case, but the latter is naturally the better choice
Yes, why use the PSU to remove warm air for free? Just because they're designed for it?
Pfwah, humbug.
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2013, 07:45   #18
fluxtatic
Supermodder

fluxtatic has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xir
Quote:
It's also designed such that your PSU intake fan can face into or out of the case, but the latter is naturally the better choice
Yes, why use the PSU to remove warm air for free? Just because they're designed for it?
Pfwah, humbug.
If you've got the option, though, there is something to be said for letting the PSU breathe fresh air. With as many fan mounts as this has, I think I'd just as soon let the PSU breathe free and let all the dedicated fans handle the hot air inside the case.
fluxtatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2013, 17:15   #19
SchizoFrog
Ultramodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxtatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xir
Quote:
Pfwah, humbug.
If you've got the option, though, there is something to be said for letting the PSU breathe fresh air. With as many fan mounts as this has, I think I'd just as soon let the PSU breathe free and let all the dedicated fans handle the hot air inside the case.
Using the PSU to exhaust air from the case would affect airflow as the heat would be pulled in two directions, towards the front by the PSU and towards the rear by the rear fan while also being pushed back down in to the case by the large fan in the roof. This would surely cause dead air spots of whirling hot air and would suffocate components.
Old 10th Jul 2013, 08:11   #20
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Hmmm, the case has a lot of mesh on the lower side and botton, wouldn't fresh air draw in there if you have more exhaust?
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote