bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 10th Jul 2013, 12:04   #1
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
BT reveals Home Hub 5 with ac Wi-Fi

New router will feature Wi-Fi 802.11ac and inbuilt VDSL modem.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...ith-ac-wi-fi/1
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2013, 12:14   #2
lacuna
Supermodder

lacuna has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I will probably get it to get rid of the infinity modem
lacuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2013, 12:20   #3
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
if they are providing 802.11ac, why limit it to 300Mbps?
Old 10th Jul 2013, 12:25   #4
matt...
Slacker

matt... has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmatt... has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmatt... has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmatt... has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmatt... has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmatt... has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Of course, with Sky not letting you use 3rd party upgrades (they wont provide the broadband login details) your only option is to complain about the old router that they provided several years ago until they just send you the upgrade free... still not the best option but at least the broadband is totally unlimited!
Old 10th Jul 2013, 12:59   #5
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCreedy
if they are providing 802.11ac, why limit it to 300Mbps?
My mistake - they haven't mentioned the max Wi-Fi bandwidth yet. Have corrected this.
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2013, 13:06   #6
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt... View Post
Of course, with Sky not letting you use 3rd party upgrades (they wont provide the broadband login details) your only option is to complain about the old router that they provided several years ago until they just send you the upgrade free...
Hack the router, extract login details, use third party router, ???, profit. Works for me. Unless anyone from Sky is reading this, in which case I'm totally using the crappy Netgear you sent me all those years ago. Honest.

Last edited by Gareth Halfacree; 10th Jul 2013 at 13:20.
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2013, 13:16   #7
lancer778544
isnt really an ultramodder...

lancer778544 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlancer778544 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlancer778544 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlancer778544 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlancer778544 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlancer778544 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlancer778544 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlancer778544 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlancer778544 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlancer778544 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlancer778544 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt... View Post
Of course, with Sky not letting you use 3rd party upgrades (they wont provide the broadband login details) your only option is to complain about the old router that they provided several years ago until they just send you the upgrade free... still not the best option but at least the broadband is totally unlimited!
This is what annoys me so much about being with Sky. Your forced into using their router (although its quite easy to extract the necessary details like Gareth said) which, in my opinion, is the worst router provided by the big 3.

My girlfriend relies heavily on the wireless reliability (offers of me running a ethernet cable to her room have been declined) and the Sky hub is failing miserably. The Home Hub 3 that she had before it and even a basic 30 Belkin wireless N router have performed much, much better. I've even added a Cisco wireless access point but the Sky hub seems to be taking a disliking to it and every now and then, both will need a reboot to keep working (the Cisco worked flawlessly when it was with me).

Sky really need to get their finger out and bring out something at least as good as the Home Hub 4.

Edit: Also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
Of course, plenty of other ISPs and 3rd part routers are available.
AMD FX-8320 | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro | 2x 4GB EVGA GTX 680 Classified SLI | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair AX860i | CM Storm Trooper | Enermax Dreambass Sound Card
lancer778544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2013, 13:20   #8
Cei
pew pew pew

Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Ooo, getting rid of the Infinity modem as well? For 35 BT can take my money!
Cei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2013, 13:28   #9
dipzy
Supermodder

dipzy is definitely a rep cheat.dipzy is definitely a rep cheat.dipzy is definitely a rep cheat.dipzy is definitely a rep cheat.dipzy is definitely a rep cheat.dipzy is definitely a rep cheat.dipzy is definitely a rep cheat.dipzy is definitely a rep cheat.dipzy is definitely a rep cheat.dipzy is definitely a rep cheat.dipzy is definitely a rep cheat.
was going to move to BT Infinity, may as well wait for the new home hub, hope its not a long wait though
dipzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2013, 13:34   #10
SchizoFrog
Ultramodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Just a question as some of you seem to know more than I do. I too have Sky but I think I have a newer router from them, a small white, upright square shaped thing. When you say they are poor, are you only talking about the WiFi capabilities? So is it still fine if you connect directly using a cable?
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
SchizoFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2013, 13:38   #11
Cei
pew pew pew

Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer778544 View Post
This is what annoys me so much about being with Sky. Your forced into using their router (although its quite easy to extract the necessary details like Gareth said) which, in my opinion, is the worst router provided by the big 3.

My girlfriend relies heavily on the wireless reliability (offers of me running a ethernet cable to her room have been declined) and the Sky hub is failing miserably. The Home Hub 3 that she had before it and even a basic 30 Belkin wireless N router have performed much, much better. I've even added a Cisco wireless access point but the Sky hub seems to be taking a disliking to it and every now and then, both will need a reboot to keep working (the Cisco worked flawlessly when it was with me).

Sky really need to get their finger out and bring out something at least as good as the Home Hub 4.

Offer her some homeplugs?
Cei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2013, 13:41   #12
lancer778544

lancer778544 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlancer778544 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlancer778544 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlancer778544 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlancer778544 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlancer778544 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlancer778544 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlancer778544 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlancer778544 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlancer778544 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlancer778544 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog View Post
Just a question as some of you seem to know more than I do. I too have Sky but I think I have a newer router from them, a small white, upright square shaped thing. When you say they are poor, are you only talking about the WiFi capabilities? So is it still fine if you connect directly using a cable?
That'll be the Sky Hub. I've got one with Sky's equivalent of BT's Infinity and my PC is hardwired in and it's fine. The wireless range is poor though, even compared to my older Sky router which had similar specs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cei View Post
Offer her some homeplugs?
I've tried that too but she's too tight. I'll probably get them as one of her birthday presents if my old Sky router, which I've just sent to her, doesn't work out.

Plus, her house's wiring is a mix of the standard twin and earth and the older stuff which is just the individual live, earth and neutral like thinner meter tails so I'm not sure how well the homeplugs will work. I might get them from Amazon and return them if they don't perform well enough.
AMD FX-8320 | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro | 2x 4GB EVGA GTX 680 Classified SLI | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair AX860i | CM Storm Trooper | Enermax Dreambass Sound Card
Old 10th Jul 2013, 13:54   #13
monkiboi
Multimodder

monkiboi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.monkiboi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.monkiboi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.monkiboi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.monkiboi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.monkiboi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.monkiboi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.monkiboi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.monkiboi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.monkiboi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.monkiboi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
I'll probably get them as one of her birthday presents...
Yeah, let us know how that works out for you
Old 10th Jul 2013, 14:09   #14
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
I've tried that too but she's too tight.
Old 10th Jul 2013, 14:21   #15
lancer778544

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkiboi View Post
Yeah, let us know how that works out for you
*witty response not found* :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krikkit View Post
She's tight in the wallet area then. Better?
Old 10th Jul 2013, 14:41   #16
Rustynutts
What's a Dremel?

Rustynutts has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:

They have, the new'ish white sky hub is brill they make these them selves, no netgear or sagem are being sent out to new customers.
Rustynutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2013, 15:31   #17
r3loaded
Ultramodder

r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.
I'll stick to my own routers thanks, I don't like using routers with crippled or locked-down firmware, plus I'm sure my Asus RT-AC66U with its three streams and big antennas will beat the pants off this HomeHub in wireless performance easily.

Also "the first Hub to feature four gigabit Ethernet ports" is a massive indictment of how crap the current BT routers really are.
r3loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2013, 16:00   #18
Bungletron
Hypermodder

Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.Bungletron is definitely a rep cheat.
I will probably get rinsed for saying this, but I think my provider, Talk Talk, are currently killing it on the value stakes. Their fibre package undercuts everyone so plus an aftermarket router paid for out of the savings (I use the Asus RT-N66U) is actually really good. I noticed the quality of the service, particularly streaming and downloads increased recently, then I found out they have removed their traffic management limits for unlimited fibre users. As long as you never call their customer service team I think they are great.
Laptop: Thinkpad X230 | i5-3320M | 8GB DDR3 |Samsung 840 EVO 500GB
Bungletron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2013, 16:36   #19
FullThrottleRic
Minimodder

FullThrottleRic has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I never even attempted to use the WiFi on my SR101, first thing I did when I set it up was disable it and use my own access points. So far reliability-wise the it's been totally fine for me, it's not needed restarting once in the six months I've had it. It's been 100% solid and doesn't run hot enough to fry an egg on like the god awful glitchy Sagem POS they sent me when I was on ADSL.
I would like to be able use my own third party router but honestly, it'd make no real difference other than possibly looking a bit nicer?!
FullThrottleRic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2013, 17:01   #20
chimaera
Multimodder

chimaera has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I can see the appeal of combining the VDSL modem and the router into a single device for 'normal' users but that would be a total deal-breaker for me (annoying since I was thinking of getting Infinity when I move next).

If they go down this road I hope the device will have a 'modem mode' toggle like Virgin added to their cable modem/router device...
chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote