bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 12th Jul 2013, 09:43   #1
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
SilverStone Tundra TD02 Review

We take a look at SilverStone's brand new aluminium AIO liquid cooler with a double rad .
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/coo...-td02-review/1
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2013, 10:42   #2
The_Crapman
MD of M.Z.A. Inc and Weasel Pimp

The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.
From the pick below, it looks as though quite a lot of space is taken up from the pipes in the radiator, so there's a minimal gap for the air to flow through. While turning the fans up will shove air through a lot quicker, it's being pushed through a very confined space and not utilising the full fin surface area on the other side.

I also can't tell from the pic if the fins are solid right the way through. On my Alphacool ST30, the fins aren't a solid line but have little gaps that have been punched through the metal giving them an uneven surface. I'm not sure if this is to disturb the air as it flows through the rad or otherwise, but if the fins on the tundra's rad are solid and flat, the air might be going through too quickly to make a real impact on it's efficiency.

It would be interesting to know the surface area of the fins on this rad in comparison to a standard 45m thick 240 rad.

EDIT: Also how thick are those pipes and are they round? If they've used a similar method to standard heatsink construction and they are round, then those fins aren't getting an awful lot of contact with the pipes as they claim on their website. Those pipes are probably about 5mm in diameter, giving a circumference on 16mm (approx) of contact. But on a tradition design the fins have contact all the way through and i would imagine have a greater contact area overall, especially bouncing back and forth as they do.

How to Get a FREE (sort of) Hard Drive and Other Small Parts

Last edited by The_Crapman; 12th Jul 2013 at 11:23.
The_Crapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2013, 11:06   #3
magnetobob
Minimodder

magnetobob has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Mainly interested in the td03 results. These do differ a lot from the ones seen in complex but I understand retail versions wouldn't have been the same as their demonstration or proof of concept kit.
magnetobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2013, 12:17   #4
Ljs
Limited Edition

Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.
£100 for a CPU cooler!

I'll stick with my inferior Kuhler 620; it only cost me £40.
Ljs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2013, 12:27   #5
SchizoFrog
Hypermodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
This unit does certainly look a lot nicer than the usual cooler designs, although as it will most likely be used in the roof of a case, one has to wonder who real really care in the end as it won't be seen. The noise is a different matter as noise reduction is a massive reason to go water cooling in the first place, The main thing that bugs me and it is a relatively small thing although it could well be a deal breaker for myself and others alike, is the tubing. It's not only bloody awful looking but it looks cheap too.
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
SchizoFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2013, 13:52   #6
magnetobob
Minimodder

magnetobob has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog View Post
he main thing that bugs me and it is a relatively small thing although it could well be a deal breaker for myself and others alike, is the tubing. It's not only bloody awful looking but it looks cheap too.
Good point now you mention it look like there made from straws
magnetobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2013, 15:23   #7
Dogbert666
I benchmark, therefore I am.
bit-tech Staff

Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.
Yeah, the tubing is a strange one. Feels like a step backwards when you consider that most of these coolers use thicker rubber tubes, which I think look better too.
Dogbert666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jul 2013, 06:53   #8
noizdaemon666
I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

noizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Completely unrelated, but where have the figures for the Kraken X60 come from? You don't seem to have a review

Corsair Graphite 230T ¶ Athlon X4 760K @ 4.8GHz ¶ ASRock A88X Extreme6+ ¶ Corsair H100 ¶ 8GB Patriot 1600 ¶ No SSD ¶ 250GB HDD ¶ MSI 6770 1GB @ 950/1200 ¶ OCZ 700W
noizdaemon666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jul 2013, 07:01   #9
fluxtatic
Supermodder

fluxtatic has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I remember a while ago bit-tech dropping coverage on AMD for these sorts of products, and it still pisses me off. While plenty of people will geek out on LGA2011 hardware, is the market for that really larger than it is for AM3+? Sure, Piledriver and Bulldozer were disappointing (esp. BD), but there's still love in the market for AMD. Dropping coverage doesn't help anyone, other than the money Dennis Publishing saves not paying for the time to test. Bad for AMD and bad for readers.
fluxtatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jul 2013, 14:44   #10
AlienwareAndy
Banned

AlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxtatic View Post
I remember a while ago bit-tech dropping coverage on AMD for these sorts of products, and it still pisses me off. While plenty of people will geek out on LGA2011 hardware, is the market for that really larger than it is for AM3+? Sure, Piledriver and Bulldozer were disappointing (esp. BD), but there's still love in the market for AMD. Dropping coverage doesn't help anyone, other than the money Dennis Publishing saves not paying for the time to test. Bad for AMD and bad for readers.
I'll second that. It's kind of like "Well if you're going to drop AM3+ then you may as well also drop 1150 because it's inferior to 2011".

I don't get it, I just don't get it. Why continue to test all of the Intel sockets (of which there are more than one) and drop AM3+ which is a single socket?

It doesn't hurt AMD any more than they're already hurting but what it does hurt is sales of the product itself. I can't tell you how long I wanted a Noctua NH-D14 for my Phenom 2 but no one could even be bothered to spend an hour putting it on an AMD board. In the end I did buy one and it was magnificent at cooling my Phenom but not with any help from reviewers.

Stop being so bloody lazy. Well, unless of course Intel are paying you not to test products on AM3+.

You don't even have a section in your magazine any more showing the AM3+ components to have
AlienwareAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jul 2013, 11:26   #11
Dogbert666
I benchmark, therefore I am.
bit-tech Staff

Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noizdaemon666 View Post
Completely unrelated, but where have the figures for the Kraken X60 come from? You don't seem to have a review
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Article, page 2
**Please note that we've now added results for certain liquid and air coolers that we've not yet had a chance to review on the site. The data comes from the CPU cooler Labs Test in issue 116 of Custom PC. All coolers were tested in the same systems and with the same methodology as outlined above.**
As for AMD testing, the original idea was never to drop the testing entirely and shrug it off as irrelevant or pointless, but to replace it with an FM2 system. Many hours were lost and much frustration caused by our efforts in attempting to do this, but the overclocked system simply refused to co-operate or produce consistent and reliable results, which is still the bigger priority, and in the interests of time (and our sanity) we had to leave it for the time being.

We're aware that there's a gap in the coverage (and that it's a gap that extends across most cooler coverage on the web as well), we know that there are still many AMD users, and we're certainly still keen to revive the AMD testing. I will speak to Ed, try to make it more of a priority and see what can be done.
Dogbert666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jul 2013, 04:42   #12
SchizoFrog
Hypermodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Here's a question about these, does it actually make any difference to either it's cooling performance or noise levels depending on which way up you install it? Also, what sort of performance benefits, if any, are you likely to see if you double up the fans in a push-pull set-up?

Not looking to do either but these questions don't seem to have been covered in all the reviews of various AIO's, at least not that I remember.
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
SchizoFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jul 2013, 17:13   #13
caution
What's a Dremel?

caution has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Wouldn't it be great if it hadrubber hoses (like the H110)? It wouldn't matter if it was falling a couple of degrees behind of the competion, with those looks...
caution is offline   Reply With Quote