bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 15th Jul 2013, 10:10   #1
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H Review

Gigabyte's new mid-range Z87 board has a lot to offer for under £150.
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/201...-ud3h-review/1
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jul 2013, 18:14   #2
blackworx
Cable Wrangler

blackworx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hats off to MSI - they do a good job of satisfying those of us the big two somehow can't (or won't) reach despite having dozens of SKUs. For me MSI are the spiritual successors to Abit's crown in that regard.
blackworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jul 2013, 18:21   #3
SchizoFrog
Ultramodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackworx
Hats off to MSI - they do a good job of satisfying those of us the big two somehow can't (or won't) reach despite having dozens of SKUs. For me MSI are the spiritual successors to Abit's crown in that regard.
Why comment about MSI on a Gigabyte review?
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
SchizoFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jul 2013, 18:28   #4
Corky42
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
One thing i don't get is why manufactures put Marvel controllers on MoBo's
I know the article says about using them for E-SATA, but im guessing not many people do.
The amount of times you read about people getting slow speeds from SSD's only to find out they are using the pony&trap Marvel and didn't know how much they suck.

Also curious about the lovin for MSI on a Gigabyte review

Last edited by Corky42; 15th Jul 2013 at 19:29. Reason: Spelling
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jul 2013, 18:39   #5
SchizoFrog
Ultramodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I have to admit I am something of an ASUS fan but if I was going to spend my money on a Motherboard that wasn't an ASUS then Gigabyte is the first and main option I would look at. The reason for this is consistency and not over just a couple of years either. Gigabyte have been churning out very good boards at good prices generation after generation and they always seem to bring reliability to the table too as well as a good range of features.
Old 15th Jul 2013, 19:53   #6
blackworx
Cable Wrangler

blackworx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog View Post
Why comment about MSI on a Gigabyte review?
Oops, wrong tab
blackworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jul 2013, 20:11   #7
SuicideNeil
I'm insane, not stupid.

SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.
I for one prefer the drab colour scheme- much easier to build a rig around a plain mobo, vesus having to build a themed rig around some garish brightly coloured thing.
Old 15th Jul 2013, 20:24   #8
phuzz
This is a title

phuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for president
Very last paragraph of the review:
Quote:
In short, the GA-Z87X-UD3H is a Z87 board for the rest of, providing almost everything a PC enthusiast or home overclocker needs, with none of the fluff, and at a competitive price.
should be
Quote:
In short, the GA-Z87X-UD3H is a Z87 board for the rest of us, providing almost everything a PC enthusiast or home overclocker needs, with none of the fluff, and at a competitive price.
phuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jul 2013, 22:03   #9
Sub-particle 0.76
What's a Dremel?

Sub-particle 0.76 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I have been using ASUS mobo for 3 generations (chipsets, that is) and I will swap to MSI (oops, GIGABYTE blackworx) for the next one - mainly for the WOL and features.

Remind me when it is their UD5/7H mobo's turn to test preferably the TH-equipped model to compare.
Sub-particle 0.76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jul 2013, 23:13   #10
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phuzz
Very last paragraph of the review:
Quote:
In short, the GA-Z87X-UD3H is a Z87 board for the rest of, providing almost everything a PC enthusiast or home overclocker needs, with none of the fluff, and at a competitive price.
should be
Quote:
In short, the GA-Z87X-UD3H is a Z87 board for the rest of us, providing almost everything a PC enthusiast or home overclocker needs, with none of the fluff, and at a competitive price.
Cheers, fixed.
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jul 2013, 01:00   #11
SchizoFrog
Ultramodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-particle 0.76
I have been using ASUS mobo for 3 generations (chipsets, that is) and I will swap to MSI (oops, GIGABYTE blackworx) for the next one - mainly for the WOL and features.

Remind me when it is their UD5/7H mobo's turn to test preferably the TH-equipped model to compare.
I am interested to know what features Gigabyte has that ASUS doesn't that makes you want to switch, especially as you mention WOL which ASUS boards have, well, at least the Hero does.
Old 16th Jul 2013, 06:54   #12
konstantine
Banned

konstantine should be considered for presidentkonstantine should be considered for presidentkonstantine should be considered for presidentkonstantine should be considered for presidentkonstantine should be considered for presidentkonstantine should be considered for presidentkonstantine should be considered for presidentkonstantine should be considered for presidentkonstantine should be considered for presidentkonstantine should be considered for presidentkonstantine should be considered for president
Now the question is: why are Haswell chips so hot? At the same 4.4GHz frequency, a 4770K is hotter than my Core I5 750. Is it the Silicon that's getting worse as it gets finer?

Aside from that, I've had the best luck with Gigabyte and Asus boards., and I've always build using the mid-range boards..
konstantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jul 2013, 07:46   #13
noizdaemon666
I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

noizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by konstantine View Post
Now the question is: why are Haswell chips so hot? At the same 4.4GHz frequency, a 4770K is hotter than my Core I5 750. Is it the Silicon that's getting worse as it gets finer?

Aside from that, I've had the best luck with Gigabyte and Asus boards., and I've always build using the mid-range boards..
Because they (and their Ivy Bridge predecessors) use thermal paste between cores and IHS rather than a type of solder that Sandy Bridge and Nehalem (etc) used.

It's very well documented and discussed. How have you not known this before ? :

On topic; I'd still go for the Maximus VI Hero even though it's a bit more expensive. I would like to know how the Gigabyte board uses so little power at idle at stock compared to the others though.
Old 16th Jul 2013, 09:05   #14
konstantine
Banned

konstantine should be considered for presidentkonstantine should be considered for presidentkonstantine should be considered for presidentkonstantine should be considered for presidentkonstantine should be considered for presidentkonstantine should be considered for presidentkonstantine should be considered for presidentkonstantine should be considered for presidentkonstantine should be considered for presidentkonstantine should be considered for presidentkonstantine should be considered for president
I see.. cuz TDP wise, a 4770 consumes less power then a Lynnfield at 4.4GHz.

This Gigabyte board also utilizes quite a bit less of the CPU during heavy network traffic.The review on techreport covers that.

Personally, If I were to to go with a board, I'd go with a mid-range Gigabyte, like the UD3H. The good thing about Gigabye boards is that their mid-range boards are built as well as their high-end boards.
konstantine is offline   Reply With Quote