bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 25th Jul 2013, 10:52   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Intel updates microcode to block H87/B85 overclocking

Got a K-series chip? Get a Z87 motherboard.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...ocking-block/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2013, 11:02   #2
Corky42
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Seems a bit off that Intel is dictating what people are allowed to do with non Intel MoBo's even if they do make the chipset. Then again if your buying a K series why would you scrimp on a lower spec MoBo ?
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2013, 11:23   #3
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
Sounds like a safety issue. The cheaper boards are most likely designed for stock speeds only not over volting and clocked to the hilt.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2013, 12:54   #4
SpAceman
Supermodder

SpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
I would only consider getting a Z87 if I was going for a K-series in any case.
SpAceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2013, 15:22   #5
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
I find this a little disappointing. Considering how high people can overclock intel CPUs on stock voltage (or the stock heatsink), a cheap board should be able to get to at least that point. You can save a considerable bundle of cash by overclocking with a cheap board. While you might not reach the best performance, that's what you get for not buying something better. The stupid thing is with Intel's decisions, people are building a system that is overkill for their needs without overclocking to begin with. So it's either pay good money for products that don't need overclocking, or pay less money for products that do need it but can't.

But, I haven't bought an intel processor myself since I think 2005 (though I did get an intel-based netbook in 2009) so I don't really care either way.
schmidtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2013, 15:46   #6
Kruelnesws
Minimodder

Kruelnesws has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I personally have a z series board. So this has no effect on me! Even if you get a mobo that is not a z87, with the new block in place, couldn't you just go to the manufacturers website and download an older version of the bios as a workaround? Or do you think they might tweak some of the older ones?
Kruelnesws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2013, 15:55   #7
Tangster
Butt-kicking for goodness!

Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.
Intel, party poopers of the overclocking world.
Uni Box:i7 2700K@5.3GHz|EK Supreme LT+Coolstream XT 360|16GB HyperX DDR3@1866MHz|EVGA GTX780 ti+EK FC780ti|MSI P67A-GD55||M5 512|BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 750W|U3011|Raven RV-02E|KBT Pure+Perixx MX2000 + Intuos 4M
Audio: PC->TosLink->TEAC UD-H01->Schiit Asgard-> Fostex TH600|InEar LivePro 3|Truth B2030A Monitors
BT Feedback
Tangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2013, 15:59   #8
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruelnesws View Post
I personally have a z series board. So this has no effect on me! Even if you get a mobo that is not a z87, with the new block in place, couldn't you just go to the manufacturers website and download an older version of the bios as a workaround? Or do you think they might tweak some of the older ones?
Seeing as how I'm not much of an Intel or Windows user anymore, I'm not 100% sure on this but I don't think it's that simple, because I think newer versions of Windows keep the microcode up to date without warning. I'm sure it is actually possible to reverse the microcode but I guess my point is something is bound to set it to something newer again whether you like it or not.

In Linux anyway, you have to go out of your way to tell the OS to upgrade the microcode. It isn't hard but it isn't something you just simply know to do off the top of your head either.
schmidtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2013, 17:26   #9
Corky42
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
While Windows can update the microcode AFAIK Microsoft only do this for critical bugs, so in theory you could just use a older BIOS ROM.

I cant see this affecting many people, i mean how many people have a K series on a B85 or H87 chipset ?
it's not like they are stopping people from OC'ing via the FSB, they are just stopping the B85 or H87 chipset from going higher than the default multi when using K series CPU's.

EDIT: some sites are even saying this is Intel fixing something that wasn't intended, a bug, all be a good one

Last edited by Corky42; 25th Jul 2013 at 17:40.
Old 25th Jul 2013, 18:14   #10
Madness_3d
Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
The knock on effect of no competition at the top end :-/
XFXScorpio911 ¦ PHENOM II X4 965 @ 4.02Ghz ¦ SLI GTX 480 1536MB¦ ASUS CROSSHAIR II FORMULA ¦ 4GB OCZ REAPER 1066 5-5-4-8 2T¦ CORSAIR HYDRO H50 ¦ CORSAIR Force 3 120GB ¦ WINDOWS 7 HP 64bit ¦ Musings On The Technical World ¦ Steam
Madness_3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2013, 19:31   #11
r3loaded
Ultramodder

r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness_3d
The knock on effect of no competition at the top end :-/
Yup, the sad truth is that even a locked Haswell is still a better performer in both performance and power than anything AMD has unless you do a lot of multithreaded work.
r3loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2013, 19:43   #12
Corky42
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Am i missing something hear then ? because AFAIK all previous K series CPU's were only supported in high end MoBo/Chipsets.
The only reason Haswell K's could be used in B85 or H87 chipsets was because of a workaround developed by MoBo manufactures.
Old 25th Jul 2013, 19:46   #13
GeorgeStorm
Aggressive PC Builder

GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky42 View Post
Am i missing something hear then ? because AFAIK all previous K series CPU's were only supported in high end MoBo/Chipsets.
The only reason Haswell K's could be used in B85 or H87 chipsets was because of a workaround developed by MoBo manufactures.
You could run k chips in low end boards, as far as I'm aware at least.
Old 26th Jul 2013, 03:45   #14
TimB
Minimodder

TimB has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So I assume this only effect LGA 1150 (Haswell) chips?
TimB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jul 2013, 04:20   #15
lysaer
Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.
I wonder if Intel are getting a lot of warranty requests due to overclocking becoming so popular.

They could be trying to limit their potential replacements. Since I doubt they have a valid way to prove if a chip has been overclocked.

Besides, build a ten foot wall and someone will inevitably build an eleven foot ladder

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
lysaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jul 2013, 12:21   #16
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
Intel dont make the motherboard first and foremost, Only the chipset thats on the boards is from Intel. Mobo manufactures would still have to implement this to the chipset.

The haswell K chips are not designed for the B85 and H87 chipsets last I checked most of those boards did not even support the newer chips.

Also not sure why you would buy a £40 board a £200 cpu thats like buying a ferrari and sticking some crappy tires on it.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jul 2013, 21:59   #17
dynamis_dk
Grr... Grumpy!!

dynamis_dk is definitely a rep cheat.dynamis_dk is definitely a rep cheat.dynamis_dk is definitely a rep cheat.dynamis_dk is definitely a rep cheat.dynamis_dk is definitely a rep cheat.dynamis_dk is definitely a rep cheat.dynamis_dk is definitely a rep cheat.dynamis_dk is definitely a rep cheat.dynamis_dk is definitely a rep cheat.dynamis_dk is definitely a rep cheat.dynamis_dk is definitely a rep cheat.
Not everyone buys a high end CPU to overclock and not everyone who would like the higher end clocks of a top end CPU need the bells and whistles which often give top end board there price tag. My Dad is one of these such users. 2600k, basic motherboard = does exactly what he wants it to
Old 28th Jul 2013, 06:48   #18
Corky42
I Mod, Therefore I Own

I cant think of any reason to buy the more expensive unlocked CPU if you wasn't going to overclock it
Old 29th Jul 2013, 12:20   #19
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Just to clarify our position on this:

1) ASUS hasn't yet received any official documentation or instruction from Intel.
2) It's a fact that already shipping and channel products won't be affected and you can still get the unlocked BIOS from the product pages.

Last edited by Bindibadgi; 31st Jul 2013 at 11:53.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
b85, bios, cpu, h87, haswell, intel, intel cpu, ivy bridge, microcode, motherboard, processor, z87