1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve calls Half-Life 3 reports 'bogus'

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 29 Jul 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

I hope it's not going to be another Duke Nukem.

3. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

Well it's a positive step forward I guess. Would still love to see a 2014 release though.

4. Xploitedtitan

Xploitedtitan What's a Dremel?

Duke Nukem was announced, but took decades to come out.

Valve never mentioned any HL3, or any other episodes for HL2.

5. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

2007! Bloody hell.

6. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Bogus - that's good, right?

7. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

depends, if being killed by a bad robot you who then breaks up with your girlfriend and tries to change the future by being the worst musician in the world, all while you try to beat God at a variety of household games until he relents and allows you to visit heaven, recruit an alien to build a good robot you, and transports you back to the present so that you can thwart an evil time travellers plans and win the battle of the bands sounds good, then yeah, sure.

kenco_uk likes this.
  8. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Has adrock been at the cheesecake again?

9. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Great use of the word 'claptrap' in an actual sentence. I didn't realize it was an actual word until just now!

10. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

yep, not just an annoying sidekick in Borderlands, minion! :D

11. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Meanwhile I am literary getting gray hair of waiting for HL3 as the years pass by. A never ending cliffhanger from episode 2. The most disturbing fact is that Valve is not saying; "All Fans and lurkers of HL3 we officially announce that the Halflife episode two was the last and we are not going to make any other episodes or full game. period!"

Nooooohh! They not denying or confirming that they are developing anything for the HL universe.

My best guess: Valve is simply waiting for all people who have played Half Life are dying of old age.

12. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

He's summarizing a particular bogus adventure by one Bill and one Ted.

13. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

an unnamed spokesperson for the company???? if they gonna come out and say its fake, then why unnamed. this whole HL3 thing is just an inconsiderate move from valve;s part and i feel very disrespected becos of it. one of the first to buy the games on release and my thx is not getting to see the ending before my death!

a 12yr old will live to see the ending i and many many 30somethings made into what it is today.

thx again valve

14. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

How did I not see that?!

15. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Just clicked in my head too....well played ;)

16. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

typo: a 12yr old will live to see the ending and i and many many 30somethings that made the game vranchise into what it is today wont.

17. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Whilst i loved the reference, I'd just like to point out it's the grim reaper they play the games with, not god. Best 2 out of 3? ;)

18. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

Guthrie quoted as saying
    YOU WHAT??? ". . . development still in early stages . . . " Was this quote made in 2008/2009? What the unholy f**k has Valve been doing for the last 6 years that HL3 is "still in early stages"?

Also, I like that Gareth only got to the actual news after three and a half paragraphs of HL3 development context.

The main reason that Duke Nukem Forever was so terrible was its age. Gaming had moved on past DNF and it didn't age at all well.
    HL3 is risking the same thing. HL and HL2 are great games but they have aged as all games do, just with a bit of grace.

At this point I am no longer holding my breath for HL3, and I'm getting to the point that I don't much care. HL3 is no longer a sure pre-order.

19. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I'm not sure there's any point in worrying whether HL3 will be behind the times when (if?) it finally arrives, given that we don't have confirmation as to whether it's even in development yet :D

20. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Here's what I think has happened...

Valve being valve can be very flexible internally - people moving between teams - people changing roles etc. HL2 Ep3 and (probably) HL3 were all started years and years ago... long before we saw episode 2. But...

The projects floundered. The quality took a dive. People became disinterested. Those with sway moved the goalposts a few times. The project probably had lots of false starts etc.

But thankfully Valve isn't in the habit of releasing dross, or announcing things early to drum up support. They didn't want a Duke Nukem vapourware vibe to follow them around, much preferring the "Will they - or won't they" line.

Is something Half Life in development at the moment? Probably... to some degree...by a few people as a hobby probably... but I doubt we'll see a new game or episode being released any time soon.

:(