1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress [Bit-Tech/Intel NUC Competition] Vesper - Prize arrived and some new plans :D

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Maki role, 31 Jul 2013.

1. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Hi all!

First up, a big thank you to all those involved in setting up this brilliant competition!

I was really taken aback to see my design had been chosen to be in the top 5. It really is going to be a great experience having the chance to go up against some of the best modders and case builders around!

[Fancy banner goes here in a bit...]

Abstract:

My aim for Vesper was to design a case that could both make use of the NUC's tiny dimensions, and be a welcome piece of decor within a living room. I've never been a fan of hiding away black, square boxes and would much rather have something that I'm proud to have on display. I initially wanted to go down the route of having the case primarily milled from aluminium, to act like a heatsink, but spiraling costs brought that one back down to Earth. I've decided to go with 3D printing instead as it allows me to experiment with organic, flowing shapes.

To offset the modern, almost edgy "wings" I've decided to opt for a wooden central housing, mostly likely burr walnut. This adds some warmth and prevents things from becoming a little too flashy.

So without further ado, let's get to the case!

Renders:

I can imagine many of you have seen most of these in the official announcement thread, so here they are in high res, plus a couple extra that weren't shown.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hardware:

Now in the competition it said:
    So of course I went out and picked up a Nikon D3200 along with a Nikon AF-S VR MicroNikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED Macro lens to go with it. I'd been thinking of popping for an entry level DSLR of my own (instead of borrowing a friend's D40) for quite some time now, this seemed like a good opportunity to jump in. Must say that despite being early days, I'm really loving it, I never knew just how addictive macro photography really is. Hopefully my new found camera glee hasn't spoiled the pictures :hehe:

[​IMG]

My NUC kit arrived on Monday (RAM, SSD and WiFi) and on Tuesday (motherboard), set it all up today and took some snaps for ya. I'll have to get into a habit of resizing the hi-res shots now, seems the 24Mp pics are a bit much for ol' Imageshack (my personal favourites thanks to their lack of bandwidth caps and longevity).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WiFi Module:
    [​IMG]

2GB Kingston RAM:
    [​IMG]

30GB mSATA SSD:
    [​IMG]

All assembled together:
    [​IMG]

Component sandwich!
    [​IMG]

My cat Tali, she loves to come in and lounge around bits of tech.
    [​IMG]

Best of luck to everybody taking part, this should be a lot of fun!

Last edited: 28 Sep 2013
  2. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Nice art-deco-ish design :)

Oh, and grab another 2GB of RAM as this board supports dual-channel.

3. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Interesting renders. I like them a lot. I'd put it in my living room.

I also happen to have a cat just like that, to the tawny patch on the nose. Her eyes are gray, though. She is a most excellent and worthy cat.

4. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Your design looks really great so I'm looking forward how this one turns out. :)

5. Maki role

@jrs77: Thanks, yeah I might well do that, just working with what Bit-Tech sent me ATM

@KayinBlack: Haha that's the idea, yeah she's a Snowy Savannah, very smart. My heart melted when she chose to play with a spanner rather than the cuddly toy next to it back when she was a tiny kitten.

@Evenge: Cheers! Just hope I can deliver on the concepts now...

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Congratulations!:D
    This is a really cool design. The cat makes me worry about it becoming a chin-scratcher. -Heck, as big as these units are, she could run off with it!

7. Maki role

Cheers man, love your design too, heck I love all the designs, they're all so different yet capitalise on the same overarching theme.

Hehe don't worry I've taught her well, she's quite happy just to nab the cardboard and bubblewrap in order to make a little fort, with emphasis on the 'little' as she's tiny.

8. BeeP

BeeP Minimodder

Wow, I really like that design, I'd happily put that in my living-room.

Are you planning to bend the wood yourself?

9. Asouter

Asouter --------

Another great design, it's going to be impossible to chose one. I like wallnut strip through the middle

10. Maki role

@BeeP: Thanks! Yeah that's the plan, although because of the shapes involved I'll likely bend ply and add a veneer, there are certainly a lot of options available, however.

@Asoiter: Cheers, I think the walnut is probably my favourite currently, adds a lot of warmth whilst remaining modern enough.

11. BeeP

BeeP Minimodder

Looking forward to seeing this progress, I think the blend of wood & something as current as 3d printing should be great.

12. Knighthammer

Knighthammer What's a Dremel?

I like your plans so far - I also have to say that your cats face reminds me of my cat (well probably more my wifes than mine).

13. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Gorgeous looking design Maki & off to a great start with nice renders & photos. :)

14. longyny

longyny What's a Dremel?

Really great design, one of my favorites to say the truth.

I'd put it in my living-room, and I'd have peace of mind to not have a discussion with my WAT.

15. Maki role

@BeeP: Yeah it should work pretty well, I like a little bit of old and new

@Knighthammer: Haha cheers

@Waynio: Thanks man! Great to see your log finally off the ground too.

@Longyny: :D

So I've been in touch with the 3D printing guys, should be working things out pretty soon in that regard. In the meantime, I made an animation so you can actually see the design properly.

16. Cheapskate

That made me dizzy.
    You know how when you were a kid and you'd spin to get dizzy, and you figured out you could stop the dizzy by spinning the opposite way?

17. Maki role

Right, well sorry for there not being any tangible updates. Things have been really busy for me over last week so I haven't been able to get going on some of the bits. I can, however, say that I've got some cool stuff planned for Monday. Just wanted to let you guys know in case people thought I was dead/running away with the loot :D

18. Cheapskate

-Or both. Darned zombie looters...

19. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The black one looks like the kind of PC that Batman would own. :p

20. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

*takes notice* Ohhh, A maki build!