bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 8th Aug 2013, 08:47   #1
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
Carmack joins Oculus Rift team

Id co-founder John Carmack has taken a full time CTO role working on the Oculus Rift.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...us-rift-team/1
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Aug 2013, 10:06   #2
greigaitken
Supermodder

greigaitken has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I await the ultimate 3d experience where each eye gets a 4k stream
greigaitken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Aug 2013, 10:10   #3
runadumb
Supermodder

runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Yeah that'll be awesome...in 2030 when GPU's can run it.
runadumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Aug 2013, 10:47   #4
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
By that time we will just be plugging a wire into the back of our heads
Corky42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Aug 2013, 11:36   #5
edzieba
Supermodder

edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greigaitken View Post
HAH! 4K is nothing when it comes to trying to fool human visual acuity. Spread over even the Rift's 110, that's only 1/2 a pixel per arcminute, which doesn't even beat regular acuity let alone hyperacuity, or some of the more esoteric tricks the human visual system pulls to beat a naive view of the eye's Nyquist limit. Check Capability of the Human Visual System for a good intro. From the summary, you need 1 pixel per 0.5 arcseconds in good lighting to be truly imperceptible compared to reality. Over even the Rift's 110, that's horizontally 792000 pixels.

And worse, you need to get the framerate up to way above 60fps to prevent a plethora of artifacts when moving your eyes or head, though ligthboost-style backlight flashing mitigates this somewhat, though resulting in some less offensive artifacts of it's own. See Abrash's blog (and his previous few posts) for details.
edzieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Aug 2013, 12:28   #6
bbshammo
Modder

bbshammo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by edzieba
Quote:
Originally Posted by greigaitken View Post
HAH! 4K is nothing when it comes to trying to fool human visual acuity. Spread over even the Rift's 110, that's only 1/2 a pixel per arcminute, which doesn't even beat regular acuity let alone hyperacuity, or some of the more esoteric tricks the human visual system pulls to beat a naive view of the eye's Nyquist limit. Check Capability of the Human Visual System for a good intro. From the summary, you need 1 pixel per 0.5 arcseconds in good lighting to be truly imperceptible compared to reality. Over even the Rift's 110, that's horizontally 792000 pixels.

And worse, you need to get the framerate up to way above 60fps to prevent a plethora of artifacts when moving your eyes or head, though ligthboost-style backlight flashing mitigates this somewhat, though resulting in some less offensive artifacts of it's own. See Abrash's blog (and his previous few posts) for details.
*swear removed*

What you should have said was: I say good fellow, I think I may disagree with you on a few points.

Last edited by Krikkit; 8th Aug 2013 at 16:00.
bbshammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Aug 2013, 01:48   #7
LordPyrinc
Legomaniac

LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
The more I read about Oculus Rift, the more I want one. I really enjoy the immersive nature of first person viewpoint games and can't wait to be able to use something like this.

Conversely, I hate the over the shoulder view perspective that some games use, I mean why bother? It's so unnatural compared to first person view. You might as well be playing a top down style view point like D3.

Intel i7-920 @ 2.66GHz - Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz - Windows7 64bit
2 x 150GB WD VelociRaptor HDs (RAID 0) - 1TB WD 7200 rpm HD - 60GB OCZ SSD - 1TB WD External USB HD
2 x EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti 2GB Superclocked (Dual SLI) - Razer BlackWidow Ultimate KB
Cooler Master HAF 922 - Antec 850W TruePower Quattro - 27" Samsung S27B550 LED Display
LordPyrinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Aug 2013, 07:16   #8
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordPyrinc View Post
Conversely, I hate the over the shoulder view perspective that some games use, I mean why bother? It's so unnatural compared to first person view. You might as well be playing a top down style view point like D3.
Me to, i cant stand third person perspective games , and will avoid any game with over the shoulder view. It became popular in games as its easier to control than first person view when your using a game controller with tiny little joysticks on it.
Corky42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Aug 2013, 14:34   #9
edzieba
Supermodder

edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.
Over-the-shoulder is far preferable to FPS for 3D platformers. Landing jumps when you can't see your feet without losing sight of where you're going is an exercise in frustration.

This might change when dedicated VR platformers become more common (Rift Rush is a bit rough around the edges, but fun), but then again you can still use the third-person viewpoint in VR: just treat the camera as a floating head you can move around the character with a controller. Some people have reported that slaving camera orbit to head orientation is surprisingly not that nauseating, but you then run into issues as to what to do when the camera hit's a wall: do you 'clip' your head through solid objects, or do you decouple head movement from camera movement (BIG VR no-no).
Mirror's Edge is not a good VR showcase, as currently you cannot face in one direction and run in another, making jump aiming guided by your face.
edzieba is offline   Reply With Quote