bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 8th Aug 2013, 09:55   #1
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
Ten Years On: Knights of the Old Republic

Celebrating a decade of the best Star Wars game ever made.
http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/20...old-republic/1
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Aug 2013, 11:16   #2
exceededgoku
Modder

exceededgoku has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Fond memories of this game from way back when, I think it would be a shame to replay it as I would hate to dilute those memories.

Shame the MMORPG doesn't really cut the same kind of mustard. Very right on the Jedi/Lightsabers ruining the games though, Star Wars Galaxies was very good until everyone and his monkey became a Jedi.
exceededgoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Aug 2013, 11:17   #3
Phalanx
Needs more dragons and stuff.

Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I don't see why, exceededgoku. Other than the graphics, the story is still one of the most epic I've seen.
Old 8th Aug 2013, 11:36   #4
SchizoFrog
Ultramodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I never underestimate the importance of graphics, even in a good RPG. Don't get me wrong and graphics are in no way the be-all, end-all of what a game is about, it's not even the most important thing, but it is important non-the-less. There are many, many games that just don't have the same effect once graphics and the relevant interaction moves on.
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
SchizoFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Aug 2013, 12:07   #5
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
Theres plenty of games that would sell well if they were remade in HD.

Final Fantasy 7 8 9
Knights of the old republic
the jedi knight games
resident evil 1 2 3
Command & Conquer + RA and Tib sun
Homeworld 1 and 2 ( they are been remade )

list goes on and on really
rollo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Aug 2013, 13:04   #6
GeorgeStorm
Aggressive PC Builder

GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.
Possibly my favourite game of all time, glad to hear I'm not the only one who holds it in such high regard
Old 8th Aug 2013, 13:17   #7
WarrenJ
Mod Master

WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Can you do a Ten Year Anniversary for Star Trek: Elite Force 2?

It's the only star trek game i've ever enjoyed.
WarrenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Aug 2013, 14:35   #8
maverik-sg1
Supermodder

maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I still have this game and play it on my rather weak works laptop during times of boredom when working away from home (along with half life and 007 Nightfire).

As has been said, the single player game has aged really well, of course there will always be something someone does not like, but overall, this (like the other games in that series) is a game you can keep going back to has earned it's place in history.
maverik-sg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Aug 2013, 16:07   #9
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
I've just played this one through for the first time about a year ago (as good)
And am currently slowly playing as evil

Quote:
in their deeper yet troubled sequel.
Troubled how? Haven't bought that yet, it has gotten a lot cheaper lately.
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Aug 2013, 18:14   #10
Yslen
Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xir View Post
Troubled how? Haven't bought that yet, it has gotten a lot cheaper lately.
KOTOR 2 was massively buggy on release, and due to the pressure heaped on the developers to get the game out on time, largely unfinished. Chunks of the game were cut out, and the overarching plot simplified to hide the missing content. After playing through hours of generally very good levels, you reach the most tedious final section imaginable and a confrontation that is so poorly explained that most players don't understand why it took place.

Fortunately, there's a mod to fix all of that.

Anybody playing (or reviewing!) KOTOR 2 today should install that mod first. In my opinion it turns one of the most frustrating games I've ever played into one of the very best.
Asrock Z77e-ITX - Intel i5 3570k - Corsair H50-1 - G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133MHz - Gigabyte HD6870 - Crucial M4 - Samsung HDD - 530W ThermalTake SS PSU - Bitfenix Prodigy - LG IPS231P - NAOS 8200 - Poker II (Reds) - IBM Model M
Take a look at my Photography portfolio, here.
Yslen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Aug 2013, 18:47   #11
SchizoFrog
Ultramodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
The unfortunate thing with HD remakes is that they seem to always change not only the graphics but the way the game plays and feels, in short the essence of the game. It's like they get carried away with 'updating' and think they know best and start playing with things they should leave well alone.

As for Star Trek games, I used to enjoy Star Trek Armada II. Not the most in depth game I know but I did play it a lot.

As for reviews after mod additions, I don't think you can ever do a game justice if you do that, for good or ill. Mods are added after the game is released and is the only thing you can be certain that everyone is running the same thing at the same time. Especially when it is all opinion based, what makes the game better for you may not improve it for someone else, even if the majority agrees with you.
However, if there was to be a 'looking back' style review then there maybe should be a section after the conclusion covering the long term top rated/most installed mods.
Old 8th Aug 2013, 18:53   #12
John_T
Supermodder

John_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollo
Theres plenty of games that would sell well if they were remade in HD.

Final Fantasy 7 8 9
Knights of the old republic
the jedi knight games
resident evil 1 2 3
Command & Conquer + RA and Tib sun
Homeworld 1 and 2 ( they are been remade )
Yes Please!

My brother has often said that 'when' he wins the lottery [*cough*] he's going to hire a few programmers and get the game brought up to modern spec. Imagine the Red Alert battle maps on giant 4k screens! Oooh, I need to lay down....
John_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Aug 2013, 18:58   #13
Boscoe
"and she'll be foamin at the vag."

Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
There's only lots of light sabers in the newer films because the Jedi exists - the in later (story later) films the Jedi are practically wiped out... I prefer the new films. I don't like old films the shite GFX ruin it fr me.
Old 8th Aug 2013, 19:01   #14
John_T
Supermodder

John_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boscoe
There's only lots of light sabers in the newer films because the Jedi exists - the in later (story later) films the Jedi are practically wiped out...
True.

Quote:
I prefer the new films. I don't like old films the shite GFX ruin it fr me.
BLASPHEMY!!!
John_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Aug 2013, 19:37   #15
GeorgeStorm
Aggressive PC Builder

GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yslen View Post
KOTOR 2 was massively buggy on release, and due to the pressure heaped on the developers to get the game out on time, largely unfinished. Chunks of the game were cut out, and the overarching plot simplified to hide the missing content. After playing through hours of generally very good levels, you reach the most tedious final section imaginable and a confrontation that is so poorly explained that most players don't understand why it took place.

Fortunately, there's a mod to fix all of that.

Anybody playing (or reviewing!) KOTOR 2 today should install that mod first. In my opinion it turns one of the most frustrating games I've ever played into one of the very best.
I don't remember it being THAT buggy.

It had new features which IMO improved on the first, but it also wasn't as good in other areas.
Overall I still loved it, and do intend on replaying it with that mod when I can commit the time I want to so I can just live them both
Old 8th Aug 2013, 19:39   #16
SchizoFrog
Ultramodder

Again, correct about the Jedi being wiped out. That was the main part of the storyline that was just silly. That they were wiped out by armies of droids.

Could not disagree more about the films though. The first 2 of the new 3 are absolutely atrocious. The last one (Episode III) was actually a fairly good film, mainly I think down to it not being as childish as the other two.

The main thing I want though is a DVD collection of the original films (Episodes IV, V and VI) but WITHOUT the added/changed scenes and the stupid pointless graphic additions. I want the original films on DVD... Is so much to ask for Mr. Lucas? Or should I say Disney now?
Old 8th Aug 2013, 21:33   #17
Ljs
Limited Edition

Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.
You flog that horse.

/Yawn.
Ljs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Aug 2013, 21:37   #18
bawjaws
Hypermodder

bawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog View Post
The main thing I want though is a DVD collection of the original films (Episodes IV, V and VI) but WITHOUT the added/changed scenes and the stupid pointless graphic additions. I want the original films on DVD... Is so much to ask for Mr. Lucas? Or should I say Disney now?
I would love this. Now Lucas is off the scene I suppose there's a chance that we might see a DVD release of the original cinema edition trilogy, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Perhaps in a few years, to coincide with the 40th anniversary?
bawjaws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Aug 2013, 01:26   #19
GiantKiwi
Regular Ordinary Kiwi Web Guy

GiantKiwi has yet to learn the way of the DremelGiantKiwi has yet to learn the way of the DremelGiantKiwi has yet to learn the way of the DremelGiantKiwi has yet to learn the way of the DremelGiantKiwi has yet to learn the way of the DremelGiantKiwi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
I don't like old films the shite GFX ruin it fr me.
You may hang your head in shame now :P

Seriously though, the storyline in I,II and III is dire in comparison with the original's.

Synology DS1813+ with 8x 4TB Western Digital WD40ERFX in Raid 60
GiantKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Aug 2013, 09:36   #20
Bloodburgers
Multimodder

Bloodburgers has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I really enjoyed both games but i couldn't help feeling let down by the second. As with all things when the first is as revolutionary as the article states anything that follows has to at least equal the former. This would seem too tough a task in this instance.

I really hope that they do a remake or add a third to the series and invest some real time in. In star wars they have a massive resource to draw from and what i would imagine an ever growing fan base with they right people at the wheel you would easily see it as a GOTY.