bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 22nd Aug 2013, 16:48   #1
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
PC Hardware Buyer's Guide August 2013

Our regular guide to getting the best components for your PC build, whatever your budget.
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/buy...-august-2013/1
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Aug 2013, 17:02   #2
sotu1
Ex-Modder

sotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
"Windows 7 "

Either you really believe in Win 7 or you didn't update this. And I genuinely don't know your advice here!
Old 22nd Aug 2013, 17:30   #3
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
I'd stick with Win7...
Old 22nd Aug 2013, 17:32   #4
Combatus
Custom PC/bit-tech modding sections

Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotu1 View Post
"Windows 7 "

Either you really believe in Win 7 or you didn't update this. And I genuinely don't know your advice here!
The OS is down to your personal preference really but I'll refer you to our Windows 8 testing http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/softwar...e-benchmarks/7

In short we agree with mi1ez - we'd still buy Windows 7 over Windows 8, although addons such as Start8 do make it much more user friendly in a desktop environment.
Is the res loud, like, constantly making you need a piss loud?
Combatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Aug 2013, 18:19   #5
thogil
Minimodder

thogil is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thogil is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thogil is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thogil is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thogil is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thogil is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thogil is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thogil is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thogil is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thogil is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.thogil is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatus
...addons such as Start8 do make it much more user friendly in a desktop environment.
The start screen in windows 8.1 is far better than the start menu in windows 7, due to a superior search system. What with search being the only reason you would ever open the start menu since Vista, I'm not sure why you would want to downgrade to Start8.

There really is not much in it, so much that its hard to recommend paying for an upgrade, but there are a few minor improvements (multi monitor taskbar and wallpaper, file copy pausing, task manager, native zip and iso opening, etc), and literally no disadvantages.

In other matters, it's good to see this feature back.
thogil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Aug 2013, 19:42   #6
VipersGratitude
I *am* a Dremel

VipersGratitude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.VipersGratitude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.VipersGratitude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.VipersGratitude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.VipersGratitude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.VipersGratitude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.VipersGratitude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.VipersGratitude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.VipersGratitude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.VipersGratitude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.VipersGratitude is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanmotion View Post
Our regular guide
If that's your definition of 'regular' I'd hate to use a bathroom after you

Joking aside, does anyone here anticipate AMD GPUs becoming a more sensible choice over the next decade due to a more similar architecture to the consoles?
Old 22nd Aug 2013, 20:22   #7
Matticus

Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.
Wow, when your GPU is worst than the affordable all-rounder you know it's time to upgrade!

Great to see this back though, I usually point people to this when they ask me about buying a new PC. That way I get none of the hassle and only 99% of the liability when it goes wrong :P
Old 22nd Aug 2013, 20:26   #8
Hustler
Hypermodder

Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
The AMD FX 6300/6350 is a far better CPU than that i3 for the affordable all rounder, even though they're slower per core, 6 of them at 4GHZ or more will be far more useful over the next few years in games and apps.

Especially with all the multi-core console ports that will be incoming from 2014 onwards..
Hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Aug 2013, 20:59   #9
barrkel
Multimodder

barrkel has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by thogil View Post
The start screen in windows 8.1 is far better than the start menu in windows 7, due to a superior search system. What with search being the only reason you would ever open the start menu since Vista, I'm not sure why you would want to downgrade to Start8.
I don't accept your priors; your argument depends on unwarranted assumptions.

I don't use Windows 7's start menu, since I prefer the XP menu, and I use ClassicShell to get it. It has the search functionality, but I seldom use it, I use a Cygwin terminal window if I want to type to start a program. I generally use the start menu for selecting a program based on categorization / spatial navigation / muscle memory.

Quote:
There really is not much in it, so much that its hard to recommend paying for an upgrade, but there are a few minor improvements (multi monitor taskbar and wallpaper, file copy pausing, task manager, native zip and iso opening, etc), and literally no disadvantages.
Windows has had "native" support for zips since at least XP SP2, and I've disabled it ever since it was implemented, because it bogs down Explorer and litters the treeview with in-zip directories. MS have had an ISO mounter freely downloadable from their site since at least the early 2000s too. Having these baked in is not an advantage to me.

Windows has supported multi-monitor wallpapers ever since it supported multiple monitors. The trick to it was that you had to compose your wallpapers on a single bitmap and set it as the tiled wallpaper.

Multi-monitor taskbars are another non-advantage. I have an infinitely configurable desktop at work (Linux) that can easily do that, but I'd rather spend the extra centimetre on my browser window. Widescreen monitors aren't high enough as it is.

I generally pause file copy / moves with Ctrl-Z. If you've never used the terminal, you may not know what I'm talking about...

The biggest disadvantage is encouraging MS's further adventures in TPM and locked down boot loaders.
barrkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Aug 2013, 21:10   #10
deathtaker27
Backups ... Its a way of life

deathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/gigab...-%28x16%29-atx

your affordable motherboard is eol...
deathtaker27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Aug 2013, 22:37   #11
loftie
I *am* a Dremel

loftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 670 faster than the 760? And considering it's 200 - or below if it's on offer like it is now on overclockers and probably scan too - would it not be the better choice? Assuming of course they don't all vanish.
Old 22nd Aug 2013, 22:37   #12
Combatus

Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathtaker27 View Post
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/gigab...-%28x16%29-atx

your affordable motherboard is eol...
Plenty of stock here

http://www.ebuyer.com/276562-gigabyt...rd-ga-z68ap-d3
Old 22nd Aug 2013, 22:49   #13
Combatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 670 faster than the 760? And considering it's 200 - or below if it's on offer like it is now on overclockers and probably scan too - would it not be the better choice? Assuming of course they don't all vanish.
Funny you should mention that - I did nearly put it in! I think the margin is pretty slim though - it's down to 1-2fps in many of our benchmarks and as you say you're essentially relying on flash sales of the 670 to bring it down under 200, whereas the 760 is regularly available for under 190 which for this guide is what you want really. However if you can find one for for 180 or less it might be worth considering, but then the GTX 760 is also a pretty good overclocker, especially the MSI Twin Frozr we looked at recently.
Old 22nd Aug 2013, 23:40   #14
Edwards
Hypermodder

Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
New This Month
Lol.
Intel Core i5 2500k - Maximus V Gene - 4x4 GB Corsair XMS3 1.65v 1600mHz - Asus GTX 570 - 256GB Samsung 830 - Samsung F3 1TB - Samsung F4 2TB - Corsair HX650 - Silverstone TJ08-E - LG IPS231P-BN x 2 - Corsair K70 - CM Storm Inferno
Edwards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Aug 2013, 23:42   #15
roundyz
Multimodder

roundyz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.roundyz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.roundyz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.roundyz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.roundyz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.roundyz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.roundyz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.roundyz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.roundyz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.roundyz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.roundyz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Whats premium about this "8GB 1,600MHz DDR3" ? Its the same as the others..
roundyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Aug 2013, 00:44   #16
Combatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundyz View Post
Whats premium about this "8GB 1,600MHz DDR3" ? Its the same as the others..
It's premium not pointless - we don't just ramp up the specs as we go through the article for the sake of it Seriously though, the testing we've done showed that very few situations benefit from more than 8GB of RAM, and even where they did the difference was small, while the move from 4GB to 8GB is far, far more beneficial. This is why the affordable all-rounder now includes it too. I dare say in the next buyer's guide (hopefully won't be as long this time!) the Premium Player may well include 16GB.
Old 23rd Aug 2013, 00:46   #17
Apoptosis
Modder

Apoptosis has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Mostly what I would've gone for, although when I get enough scratch for a new system, I'm not going to be using any more mechanical drives. Thankfully, large-capacity SSD's are coming down in price!
Apoptosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Aug 2013, 00:58   #18
chrismarkham1982
amateur destroyer/Head not well

chrismarkham1982 is a Super Spamming Saiyanchrismarkham1982 is a Super Spamming Saiyanchrismarkham1982 is a Super Spamming Saiyanchrismarkham1982 is a Super Spamming Saiyanchrismarkham1982 is a Super Spamming Saiyanchrismarkham1982 is a Super Spamming Saiyanchrismarkham1982 is a Super Spamming Saiyanchrismarkham1982 is a Super Spamming Saiyanchrismarkham1982 is a Super Spamming Saiyanchrismarkham1982 is a Super Spamming Saiyanchrismarkham1982 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustler View Post
The AMD FX 6300/6350 is a far better CPU than that i3 for the affordable all rounder, even though they're slower per core, 6 of them at 4GHZ or more will be far more useful over the next few years in games and apps.

Especially with all the multi-core console ports that will be incoming from 2014 onwards..
Agree in priciple (and im no amd fan) will say though that they trade blows in the various benchies so id imagine the fact that the I3 uses a fare bit less power for its needs is probably the reason it was chosen.

Xbitlabs have the i3-3240 (id imagine identical power usage to i3-3220) under load at 91w where-as the fx-6300 is at 162w, thats a big margin, 31w more than an i7-3770k in the same test/system!
hard or soft to suit your taste

Sony Vaio SVE1513Q1EB (I5 3230m, 8GB DDR3-1600, 128 SSD/750GB HDD) - Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1...now the Wife's...she dosn't seem to appreciate it - Samsung Galaxy Tab PRO 8.4
chrismarkham1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Aug 2013, 01:34   #19
Harlequin
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Harlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming Saiyan
do I even need to click it to know intel have bought and paid for another BT article....

400 would get you a mini itx A10 based gaming rig or are you still `recommending` 1000 itx kit??
Old 23rd Aug 2013, 01:35   #20
loftie
I *am* a Dremel

loftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatus View Post
Funny you should mention that - I did nearly put it in! I think the margin is pretty slim though - it's down to 1-2fps in many of our benchmarks and as you say you're essentially relying on flash sales of the 670 to bring it down under 200, whereas the 760 is regularly available for under 190 which for this guide is what you want really. However if you can find one for for 180 or less it might be worth considering, but then the GTX 760 is also a pretty good overclocker, especially the MSI Twin Frozr we looked at recently.
Fair point. Even if there's not much in it I personally would still go for the OC 670 for the extra ~10, simply for the higher min frames on skyrim, though both push over 70fps, and the slightly lower power draw at load.

Also, @191 that's a standard 760 on scan, the OC ones hit ~200.