Displays AH-IPS vs E-IPS (Viewsonic VX2370smh vs Acer H236HLbmjd)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ramjali, 25 Aug 2013.

1. Ramjali

Ramjali What's a Dremel?

Both are 23 inchs and 1080p resolution at similar prices.
    They quite similar on almost all aspects

The famous screen - vx2370smh-led
    New LG AH-IPS Technology
    30 mil:1 dynamic contrast ratio
    7ms response time

Acer Screen - H236HLbmjd
    5ms response time
    100mil:1 dynamic constrast ratio

E-IPS

Could i have help choosing between these two monitors? I'm quite stuck as they are mostly similar but have subtle differences.

I was gonna buy the acer monitor till i saw that the Viewsonic had the newer AH-IPS screen technology. Does anyone one know how much of a difference it makes?

Last edited: 25 Aug 2013
  2. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Doesnt matter all so so best to got with the U2311 or newer Ultra Sharp model, if nothing els you get a better build with more OSD options.

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

"dynamic contrast ratio" is a a worthless B.S value. Basically, it's the monitor technical (keyword here) not real contrast ratio, mixed with the backlight of the LCD monitor adjust with the content of the screen. So a dark screen will reduce the backlight illumination to minimum, and a white screen will push the back light to max.

This is a feature usually used on TV. But on computer monitors, it's absolutely rarely used. It's off by default as well. You just cant' use your computer with it turn on.

This is not the actual response time. You need to read in depth monitor review to know.

Response time is also a B.S value. The reason for this, is that there is no standard way of measuring response time. The different methods, leads to different results. Also, to show how B.S the value is, look next to the response time. You'll always see "g-t-g", or "g-to-g". This means gray-to-gray. And the first question that comes to mind is: "But which gray to which gray? Is both gray the same (see 1ms monitors)?".

So it is important to read in depth monitor review to know the actual response time of the monitor.

Here is an example:
    BenQ 1ms response times vs Dell 6ms response time monitor, all measured by TFTCentral, an in depth monitor review site:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see, someone was a bit over optimistic about it's response time.

As for AH-IPS vs eIPS. While AH-IPS can exists in true 8-bit panel, and can be better than eIPS, the ViewSonic model is a 6-bit panel. eIPS panel are all 6-bit panels, and they are the same, as you are looking at entry level AH-IPS panel. While I have never seen them side-by-side, so I can't go in details what was a bit better than the other, What I can say is that I saw no difference between a 6-bit AH-IPS and an eIPS panel. Gradients and fade in and outs appears the same on both, both demonstrating their 6-bit limitation, like a TN panel.

Also, don't mistaken eIPS with E-IPS. eIPS is "economical IPS", while E-IPS is Enhanced-IPS :)

It must be noted that there is no in depth monitor review of the ViewSonic monitor, or the Acer one. So I can't say which is better.

However, what I do recommend, assuming your budget, is the Dell U2312HM (just be sure it's not revision A00, as it had production issues), or the ASUS PB238Q. Both are still 6-bit panel, of course (you need to pay more for true 8-bit panel). But they have all the essential features (non-glossy, DVI and DisplayPort, fully adjustable stand, and a solid stand) and are the popular choice among people here and other forum. Feedback is great on both.

4. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I believe that both are relatively good choices although they won't have the best uniformity.

Thus far, AH-IPS seems to be the new trend in cheap 1080p AH-IPS monitors. They're pretty great.

The e-ips seems to be an older panel. But it's not necessarily bad.

5. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

dell-u2312hm Used but so far no bad news about thist store here on the forums they are quite popular.