1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia, Ubisoft team up for PC exclusive features

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 27 Aug 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Games on PC already look better than their console counter-parts. That said, if this means the PC versions will be getting more love than they currently do I'm all for it.

3. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I'm waiting for the "You must have a Uplay account to activate this feature" popup box.

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

Nvidia shouldn't keep their confidence about SLI too high, as AMD already overall fixed their microstutter problem in the August beta driver. It has room for improvement but it's overall in good shape.

5. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

At least Nvidia can back up their marketing comments, unlike AMD ;)

6. rollo

rollo Modder

Don't know many people left with AMD multi Gpu solutions, most have sold them and gone nvidia. AMDs fixes arived 12 months after the fact for most high end users.

7. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Even better graphics on even more lousy console ports! Woohoo!

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

I personally only know 4 people with multi-GPU solutions. 2 of them are AMD (one of them being myself), 2 are nvidia, and one of the nvidia setups I think is retired at this point.

I personally own 2 HD5750s. There are some interesting benefits of doing such a setup that many people don't point out. First of all, you generally get more performance than a HD5870 for a lower price. But one benefit I've come to notice is a single HD5750 is good enough to play most games at medium-high settings at acceptable frame rates. Games that can't take advantage of crossfire are generally less demanding, so you save power and reduce heat by only pushing 1 GPU and not the other.

For me personally, one benefit of a multi-GPU setup is GPU passthrough in virtual machines. I haven't got around to it yet but I intend to at some point in order to do a multiplayer gaming system on 1 computer. I'll likely use QEMU to do this.

9. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

FFS. Nvidia could have at least paired up with a company that actually cares about PC gaming.

10. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

UBISoft? is that the best they could do :D

11. technogiant

technogiant What's a Dremel?

A rather desperate attempt by Nvidia to remain relevant....after all is said and done most of the money is in console games....the area monopolized by AMD....so most of optimization will be for their architecture.

Seems like Nvidia are planning more stuff like proprietary physx...but linked to one game developer....that should work well :-/