bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 2nd Sep 2013, 16:50   #1
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
Rome II Review

Rome reinstates its legacy as the finest strategy game in existence.
http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/20...me-ii-review/1
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Sep 2013, 18:00   #2
Ergath
Giant Zombie Pigeon Photographer

Ergath is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ergath is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ergath is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ergath is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ergath is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ergath is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ergath is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ergath is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ergath is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ergath is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Ergath is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quelling a Roman? Sounds like an ace tutorial.

Nipicking/constructive criticism aside, this looks amazing - I'm very excited for this game.
Old 2nd Sep 2013, 18:48   #3
will_123
Small childs brain in a big body

will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
How much more demanding is in comparison to Shogun 2?

Web Hosting - http://www.goforthhosting.com
will_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Sep 2013, 19:24   #4
jimmyjj
Hypermodder

jimmyjj is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jimmyjj is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jimmyjj is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jimmyjj is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jimmyjj is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jimmyjj is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jimmyjj is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jimmyjj is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jimmyjj is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jimmyjj is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jimmyjj is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Great written review.

However the screenshots look like they were taken at the lowest graphics settings before being reduced in resolution and horribly compressed.

I am sure you used to be able to click on screen shots to open a high res version?

If you can not afford the bandwidth how about hosting them on a third party site or making high res screenshots available only to those with forum accounts?
Old 2nd Sep 2013, 19:32   #5
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjj
I am sure you used to be able to click on screen shots to open a high res version?
Yup, just didn't have time to add them earlier. Added now.
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Sep 2013, 19:41   #6
vampalan
Multimodder

vampalan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
3 pages, and 96 percent. That's quite something for bit-tech.
vampalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Sep 2013, 19:44   #7
jimmyjj
Hypermodder

jimmyjj is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jimmyjj is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jimmyjj is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jimmyjj is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jimmyjj is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jimmyjj is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jimmyjj is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jimmyjj is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jimmyjj is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jimmyjj is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jimmyjj is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanmotion
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjj
Yup, just didn't have time to add them earlier. Added now.
Nice one, high res images look brilliant.
Old 2nd Sep 2013, 22:50   #8
Greentrident
Multimodder

Greentrident has yet to learn the way of the DremelGreentrident has yet to learn the way of the DremelGreentrident has yet to learn the way of the DremelGreentrident has yet to learn the way of the DremelGreentrident has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Convinced me - pre-loading now!
Greentrident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Sep 2013, 03:38   #9
m0ngy
Banned

m0ngy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Would like to have known how it runs. Needless to say, it's a hungry beast, but some description of the specs required for various settings would be really handy. Also, is it significantly multi-threaded, should I upgrade to hex core?
m0ngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Sep 2013, 04:15   #10
Eiffie
Supermodder

Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I have a question, in the review it's stated that ships can land troops as long as a city has a port but in one of the screenshots it looks almost like the ships are just landing on the beach, does a beach count as a port? Are there different ways to land troops by sea?
I5-750 @ 4GHz - MSI P55-GD65 - 8GB Crucial DDR3 1600 - EVGA GTX 680 2GB - 1 Western Digital Black 1TB - 2 Western Digital Green 2TB - 700W Silverstone PSU - H50 Water Cooling Unit - Win7 64-Bit - Logitech G400 - Cooler Master QuickFire Pro MX Brown - Steelseries Icemat V2 - Blue Microphone Snowball - Logitech C920 Webcam
Eiffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Sep 2013, 04:24   #11
m0ngy
Banned

The article specifically said you could land on a beach. You always could in TW, Rome II is no different.
Old 3rd Sep 2013, 05:32   #12
Lockinvar
Minimodder

Lockinvar has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Preloaded and ready to go .. just a few more hours! I feel this review could have been twice as long.
Lockinvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Sep 2013, 09:54   #13
m0ngy
Banned

OK, so I bought it on Steam, it's important to contribute to studios like Creative Assembly for all the fine work they do.

My specs are;
i7 920 @ 2.66 (USB issue with the H80i, won't allow me to overclock, really need to warranty it)
8Gb 1333Mhz
256Gb SSD
2560x1600 display

I'm playing the prologue on High preset (middle settings) and getting an average of about 35-40 FPS, which doesn't sound like a lot but it feels smooth, and looks pretty good at 1600p (always does). I can't see that the individual animations or movement of the troops is vastly better than Shogun II. Maybe I'm missing out by not having it at max detail, not sure. They're a bit better, but nothing really noticeably awesome, as this review would suggest. It's early days yet, I'll have to play some more and see if I can pick anything that blows my mind.

In the very first engagement I noticed the enemy storming forward and then being repelled by missile troops and retreating, only to move forward and retreat again a moment later, a very unrealistic behavior which was repeated several times until I attacked with melee troops. You can probably tune out this sort of thing by upping the difficulty settings, not sure what it says about the AI...

Suddenly getting horrific texture problems!! The ground tiles are on the blink, downloading 13.8 beta drivers now...

Last edited by m0ngy; 3rd Sep 2013 at 10:22.
Old 3rd Sep 2013, 10:23   #14
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0ngy View Post
Suddenly getting horrific texture problems!! The ground tiles are on the blink, downloading 13.8 beta drivers now...
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...etaDriver.aspx

Usaully on TW you get some FPS decreasing shadow quality.
Old 3rd Sep 2013, 11:13   #15
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
not a game where you need 30 fps though. Most people can make do with 15-20 on map screen as long as the engagements are in the 30s you would be ok.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Sep 2013, 11:58   #16
m0ngy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollo
not a game where you need 30 fps though. Most people can make do with 15-20 on map screen as long as the engagements are in the 30s you would be ok.
Still, nothing's worse than a choppy battle. The strategic map is still really choppy while the AI is 'thinking'. Not sure how many cores this engine utilizes, probably just one, as I've read that's all Direct X can handle. Don't quote me on that though, lol.

The 13.8 beta drivers seem to have fixed the (very bad) texture problems. I got the serious artifacts after alt+tabbing in and out of TWR2, so maybe it's still a bit glitchy.

The prologue is pretty much for noobs, experienced TW players need not apply. As the article said, some of the mechanics are slightly different (not much), but the gameplay is the same as ever, and that's pretty damn good.
Old 3rd Sep 2013, 12:24   #17
Panos
Multimodder

Panos can run CrysisPanos can run CrysisPanos can run CrysisPanos can run CrysisPanos can run CrysisPanos can run CrysisPanos can run CrysisPanos can run CrysisPanos can run CrysisPanos can run CrysisPanos can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0ngy
Would like to have known how it runs. Needless to say, it's a hungry beast, but some description of the specs required for various settings would be really handy. Also, is it significantly multi-threaded, should I upgrade to hex core?
If you plan to play X:Rebirth in two months, then hex core should be mandatory
Or else a 2-3 core one will do the job.

Either way, plays well on my XPS laptop (lunch break 4TW), see how it goes tonight when I go to my home PC (AMD 1090T, Nvidia GTX580)
Panos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Sep 2013, 12:56   #18
RickLane
Staff
bit-tech Staff

RickLane is definitely a rep cheat.RickLane is definitely a rep cheat.RickLane is definitely a rep cheat.RickLane is definitely a rep cheat.RickLane is definitely a rep cheat.RickLane is definitely a rep cheat.RickLane is definitely a rep cheat.RickLane is definitely a rep cheat.RickLane is definitely a rep cheat.RickLane is definitely a rep cheat.RickLane is definitely a rep cheat.
A couple of notes RE: comments above.

The game ran pretty well for me, on an intel core i5 and nvidia 660ti. The only time I got any severe slowdown was during a battle with lots of weather effects (fog and heavy rain) and a large amount of foliage (forests etc).
It also loads pretty quickly for a TW game, both initially and for battles. The AI takes forever to take its turn however.

With regard to the boats thing. When I was talkign about boats only being able to land on beaches, I was referring specifically to the campaign map. Battles are a little more flexible, although you can't land a mass of units on a cliff-face, obviously.

Cheers!
RickLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Sep 2013, 14:38   #19
Hovis
Supermodder

Hovis has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Getting absolutely horrible performance with it here. Even in low settings for everything getting 18FPS on the built in benchmark using a i5 CPU @3.8GHz and a 760GTX graphics card. Something rotten here.
Hovis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Sep 2013, 16:01   #20
Digi
The not-so-funny Cockney

Digi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run Crysis
As far as I heard there's a severe graphic glitch they're working on a emergency patch for? I heard from a friend - will try and dig the article out.

EDIT: http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...ing-on-Extreme

Lots of people reporting this. I believe this is what they're working a patch up for. Lots of other graphics issues are easy fixes. Check the forums above.

A member of a mystical group of master-gamers. Find them hiding at www.tunedgaming.co.uk

Last edited by Digi; 3rd Sep 2013 at 16:07.
Digi is offline   Reply With Quote