bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 6th Sep 2013, 11:05   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Snowden leaks point to cryptography backdoors

NSA and GCHQ breaking commercial crypto.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...en-backdoors/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2013, 11:13   #2
GeorgeStorm
Aggressive PC Builder

GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.
Read the Guardian article earlier, not great stuff :/

“Those who would give up Essential Liberty, to purchase a little Temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" is the phrase that comes to mind.
Old 6th Sep 2013, 11:16   #3
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeStorm View Post
Read the Guardian article earlier, not great stuff :/
I'm just pleased that pretty much all the software I use is open source - no backdoors there. Just a shame about my Gmail account and Android phone, really...
Old 6th Sep 2013, 11:43   #4
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
A nicely-written piece again Gareth!

I suppose I should be more surprised to hear this kind of thing goes on, but I'm not tbh. Clever though, to insert back-doors into the source with big corporates in the first place.
Old 6th Sep 2013, 12:05   #5
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krikkit View Post
A nicely-written piece again Gareth!
Why thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krikkit View Post
Clever though, to insert back-doors into the source with big corporates in the first place.
The real issue, and one I didn't have room to get into in the already-lengthy piece, is the possibility that the NSA's 'relationships' extend beyond software vendors and into hardware vendors. Let's imagine a processor manufacturer called, I don't know, Acumen. Acumen builds a popular line of processors called the Crux family, which account for a massive percentage of the world's computing systems. Each Acumen Crux chip has inside it a random number generator and cryptographic acceleration engine, used by the OS for all encryption and decryption operations.

Some time ago, however, the NSA approached Acumen and asked them nicely if they wouldn't mind modifying the design of the RNG and cryptographic accelerator such that it introduced a handy-dandy flaw into proceedings. To the end-user, everything looks normal; if you know what the flaw is, however, you can easily break the encryption in a fraction of the time it would otherwise have taken. Acumen does this, and hides it from its customers by dint of not releasing the design files for the chip - which isn't a problem, because it never releases those anyway.

The users of Acumen Crux processors don't realise this, of course. The more paranoid use open-source software, confident that they are secure because there can be no back-door in the source code - little realising that the back-door is right there in the hardware. Their handy-dandy open-source encryption engine is relying on hardware that is introducing a weakness - a weakness that the NSA can easily exploit. Whoops!

Sounds less crazy today than it did yesterday - and a whole lot less crazy than when free software giant Richard Stallman announced he was switching to China's homebrew Loongson processor for his computing needs out of a fear of exactly this scenario should he use a chip from a US-based company.
Old 6th Sep 2013, 13:02   #6
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Seems like the best protection you can get is not to connect to anything that requires a connection. What basically means that you shut down the power and throw away your processor based hardware you have like phones, television, pc, laptop, mediaboxes etc.

Maybe the Amish got it right all that time...
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2013, 13:50   #7
AlphaAngel
Hypermodder

AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.
Although not completely the fault of the US, it is the legalised bribary (though campaign donations to politicians) that exists there and the US's power to influence other countries that is the reason that everyone should be up to date on US politics, and by this I don't mean watch Fox, MSNBC or CNN and by the same reasonng not the other extreme like Alex Jones. Couple this global power and corruption with the vast wealth and lack of accountability of corporations that do the bribing and there is no way anyone should be surprised by this.

Did anyone really think that corporations give money to politicains because they just want to be nice to them?

Also it has to be remembered that corporations in some ways are more powerful than governments as they are not constrained by a countries borders. So next time a large corporation claims it is 'American' or 'British', remember this is propoganda designed to play on national pride. they are no more American or British than the moon.

If you think all this is scary then you should see the legislation that is trying to be pushed thorough that would for all intents and purposes allow corporations to declare war on countries (using national defences such as the army). Sound crazy? Well, I'm sure the information in this article did too a few years ago.

As Noam Chomsky said so well, "In today's world, democracy is little more than manufactured consent, you won't fight a system your believe you have choosen, that you believe you can change, but in reality the puppets on both hands are joined to the same body and you have no choice over the choice of people you have to choose from".
Old 6th Sep 2013, 15:32   #8
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
If you want to stay protected, Stay of the internet simple enough.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2013, 16:41   #9
ferret141
Ultramodder

ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.
Did anyone notice how there's a North American router/access point firmware and an international one?
I don't think it is purely for radio spectrum regulation.
i5 2500K | Thermaltake Frio | 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LP | ASUS P8P67 Pro | EVGA GTX680 2GB SC Signature 2 | Corsair AX1200 | 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 | 1.5TB Samsung F3 | 2TB WD Caviar Black | 3TB WD Red | SONY-NEC BD-5300S BD-RE | Silverstone Raven 2 Evolution (RV02E-BW USB3.0) | ASUS VG278H 3Dv2 | Win7 Ult. 64bit | Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Platinum Champion Series | Speakers:Logitech G51 | Headset:Beyerdynamics DT770 Pro + ModMic 3.0 | Keyboard:Logitech G15 | Mouse:Logitech G9x
Plusnet | Loadout
ferret141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2013, 17:16   #10
Red 5
Hypermodder

Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree
The real issue, and one I didn't have room to get into in the already-lengthy piece, is the possibility that the NSA's 'relationships' extend beyond software vendors and into hardware vendors. Etc. etc....
It brings a whole new meaning to "Intel inside".
Old 6th Sep 2013, 17:22   #11
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaAngel View Post
If you think all this is scary then you should see the legislation that is trying to be pushed thorough that would for all intents and purposes allow corporations to declare war on countries (using national defences such as the army). Sound crazy? Well, I'm sure the information in this article did too a few years ago.
Didn't that already happen with the invasion of Iraq?
Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2013, 19:00   #12
patrickk84
Multimodder

patrickk84 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.patrickk84 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.patrickk84 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.patrickk84 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.patrickk84 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.patrickk84 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.patrickk84 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.patrickk84 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.patrickk84 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.patrickk84 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.patrickk84 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree View Post
Why thank you!The real issue, and one I didn't have room to get into in the already-lengthy piece, is the possibility that the NSA's 'relationships' extend beyond software vendors and into hardware vendors. Let's imagine a processor manufacturer called, I don't know, Acumen. Acumen builds a popular line of processors called the Crux family, which account for a massive percentage of the world's computing systems. Each Acumen Crux chip has inside it a random number generator and cryptographic acceleration engine, used by the OS for all encryption and decryption operations.
Why do you think the US government has specifically stopped using certain hardware products made in China? Huawei and ZTE...
patrickk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2013, 20:09   #13
GravitySmacked
Mostly Harmless

GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
If you want to stay protected, Stay of the internet simple enough.
Not true; what about phone monitoring, snail mail surveillance, monitoring of your transactions, the near constant watch of security cameras, number plate tracking etc? Also it's easy to say stay off the internet but just doing that isn't easy to do in this day and age.

GravitySmacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2013, 20:40   #14
CraigWatson
Level Chuck Norris

CraigWatson - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youCraigWatson - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youCraigWatson - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youCraigWatson - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youCraigWatson - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youCraigWatson - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youCraigWatson - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youCraigWatson - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youCraigWatson - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youCraigWatson - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youCraigWatson - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree View Post
... Let's imagine a processor manufacturer called, I don't know, Acumen. Acumen builds a popular line of processors called the Crux family...
I see what you did there
Bass Guitars: Akai Project 1997 4-string | Fender American Deluxe Precision V 5-string
CraigWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Sep 2013, 11:26   #15
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySmacked View Post
Not true; what about phone monitoring, snail mail surveillance, monitoring of your transactions, the near constant watch of security cameras, number plate tracking etc? Also it's easy to say stay off the internet but just doing that isn't easy to do in this day and age.
Stay off the grid. There's a storm coming.
Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Sep 2013, 16:32   #16
AlphaAngel
Hypermodder

AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo View Post
Didn't that already happen with the invasion of Iraq?
To an extent, yes. Lobbying by private interests created public policy. However the new legislation would remove the requirement for the government to be involved in the declaration of war. I will try to find the FOI docs on the proposed legislation so you can have a read. It is certainly very interesting
AlphaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Sep 2013, 17:31   #17
forum_user
forum_title

forum_user has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I always wondered why hackers were always able to find the next hole to exploit. Is it because the holes are there for a reason?

Is it time for a tech site to compile a list of 'safe' software and services?
forum_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Sep 2013, 18:40   #18
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I don't think there is such a thing as 'safe' software or services.

Although all the talk of back-doors and the NSA does make me wounder how useful something like that would be. Wouldn't it also provide access for other organisations ? Admittedly they would have to find the back door first, but aren't country's like China big into the whole cyber hacking stuff, so wouldn't it be just a matter of time before they identified any back-doors ?
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Sep 2013, 19:18   #19
PlayLoud
Minimodder

PlayLoud has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo
Stay off the grid. There's a storm coming.
No fate
PlayLoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Sep 2013, 03:01   #20
Gradius
IT Consultant

Gradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for president
If you got it right it means by 2015 (perhaps they already have it) EVERY bank accounts and passwords will be INSECURE, every credit card and password too! You name it. It means they can EMPTY your bank account at ANY time and sink you in debt just typing few things on a keyboard. Think about it. And I see nothing about the media talking on Impeachment Obama... RIGHT NOW!

Last edited by Gradius; 8th Sep 2013 at 03:17.
Gradius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cryptography, edward snowden, encryption, gchq, insecurity, nsa, open source, privacy, security, the guardian