bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 9th Sep 2013, 12:18   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Sony announces PlayStation Vita TV microconsole

Takes aim at Ouya, Apple TV.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...y-ps-vita-tv/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Sep 2013, 13:51   #2
Woodspoon
Supermodder

Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.
Interesting.
A nice little device for a spot of retro gaming at what appears to be a great price, I'm not a console prson but I'd definitely go for one of these even if it's just to play wipeout on.
Woodspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Sep 2013, 13:56   #3
edzieba
Supermodder

edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.
Essentially a media-extender for the PS4, with integrated controller passthrough. I can see this being actually pretty useful if you have TVs or displays in multiple rooms too far to run a HDMI cable between, and out of range of the console wireless. Certainly cheaper than buying a second PS4.
edzieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Sep 2013, 13:58   #4
lacuna
Supermodder

lacuna has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I am very interested in this. It would be perfect for my bedroom tv. I presume the vita games on ps plus would all work on it?
lacuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Sep 2013, 14:16   #5
xaser04
Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacuna
I am very interested in this. It would be perfect for my bedroom tv. I presume the vita games on ps plus would all work on it?
According to Eurogamer it would appear to have a "compatability list" of games which it supports (all in Japanese though). The main problem is the touch controls which would require patching to be supported by the controller. Not impossible but would need to be done. IIRC the PSN has the majority of Vita games released.

I do like the sound of this device though, especially if they can patch it to support ALL Vita games (It also has a slot for physical Vita games). Would make a perfect companion to a PS4 sat in another room.
xaser04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Sep 2013, 14:39   #6
Narishma
Multimodder

Narishma has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaser04
IIRC the PSN has the majority of Vita games released.
Make that ALL the Vita games released. All Vita games are available on PSN, but only some of them are available at retail.
Narishma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Sep 2013, 16:22   #7
sandys
Mod Master

sandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for president
Assuming things are patched to support it, I could be up for one of these, though they need to get a few more TV apps on Vita like netflix etc.
sandys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Sep 2013, 16:24   #8
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
I wasn't aware there were any single-system multiplayer games on PSP or Vita, though obviously the video proves that wrong. In some ways I think they'd be better off just keeping it a single player device, ditch the block thing, and stick it in the controller instead (using something like widi for video transmission).

Considering they used a separate system from the controller, I think they could have also fit the PSP optical drive in there but o well.
schmidtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Sep 2013, 16:32   #9
azazel1024
Supermodder

azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
If it can stream media content off your home network and netflix, and not simply from the PSN, then maybe count me in. I'd love a media player that can also bundle something like some "retro gaming" (OMG, that makes me feel REALLY old to consider PS1 gaming retro).

My current media streamers are a little long in the tooth. I wouldn't mind paying to grab a few older PS1 games to play on it, plus access to netflix and my home media library for around $150, I'd be in heaven. Get me some CSoTN, FF7, GT2 and maybe some MGS and I'd be a happy boy.
Old 9th Sep 2013, 16:38   #10
Bloodburgers
Multimodder

Bloodburgers has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Awesome i may get to play g*police once more. Love that game
Old 9th Sep 2013, 17:23   #11
maverik-sg1
Supermodder

maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I have the original Vita and to me it's a bit like the WiiU, very little marketing and an identity crisis because of it - I fired it up for the first time in about 5 months and found a huge update for download, but can't even see what it was for....apart from stability improvements???

Still it passed a few minutes as I played Marvel Heroes while I was at the doctors, can't beat a bit of arcade magic.

Could it be that my handheld Vita will be able to perform a similar function as this?
maverik-sg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Sep 2013, 18:26   #12
fix-the-spade
Ultramodder

fix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I want to see this bundled in with the PS4.

The PS Eye/Kinect NSA Edition don't really appeal to me, an TV extender that can also play Vita/PSN games independently practically sells itself.

What are the chances of using it for local multi player across two screens?
fix-the-spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Sep 2013, 22:20   #13
greypilgers
Supermodder

greypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by azazel1024
I'd love a media player that can also bundle something like some "retro gaming" (OMG, that makes me feel REALLY old to consider PS1 gaming retro)..
LoL... PS1 gaming is definitely NOT 'retro'...

Bungletron, I salute you!
greypilgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Sep 2013, 02:20   #14
DriftCarl
Supermodder

DriftCarl has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
That is a damn good price if it makes it to ripoff Britain at a smidgen over 60 quid.
I have a 42" TV on my living room wall I hardly ever use, so I might be up for some vita tv to actually make a use for it. I wont be getting a PS4, I have a PC to play real games, the vita TV can be for friends and family fun games.
DriftCarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Sep 2013, 08:55   #15
memeroot
aged and experianced

memeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i suspect an android will have better graphics, cheaper games and stream from a pc by early next year.
memeroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Sep 2013, 10:23   #16
sandys
Mod Master

sandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by memeroot View Post
i suspect an android will have better graphics, cheaper games and stream from a pc by early next year.
Problem is there aren't many games on android or iOS for that matter that can match a dedicated games machine either in depth or control, this will be better for a long time to come, the tablets/smartphones have had more grunt than the Vita pretty much since launch and you can't really find many comparable big game experiences to the quality of what is on PS.

Streaming from PC might be cool, I might use it once or twice but I'm gaming on PC to experience the HQ graphics and performance, do I really want to compress it down to vita level experience when I have a 700 graphics system, not really.

This'll probably be 100.

Last edited by sandys; 11th Sep 2013 at 11:58.
Old 10th Sep 2013, 13:29   #17
lacuna
Supermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandys
Streaming from PC might be cool, I might use it once or twice but I'm gaming on PC to experience the HQ graphics and performance, do I really want to compress it down to vita level experience when I have a £700 graphics system, not really.
The purpose of streaming from another more powerful system is that the work is done elsewhere, ie by a PS4. You can get the same level of performance from a little box because it doesn't do any, or very little, of the processing. This is how cloud gaming will theoretically work as well.
Old 10th Sep 2013, 13:52   #18
sandys
Mod Master

I understand this and I have been a supporter of cloud services having used gaikai, onlive and remote play etc. I even like the Wii U implementation, but none of these match the source machines best possible delivery, these remote systems have always been delivered around a set of compromises, reduced resolution, compression artefacts, latency etc, my PC gaming experience is about no compromises, I compromise on a console as the hardware can't keep up.

Do I want 650w of PC churning away to play on a 5 inch screen in my front room when there is a dedicated big screen attached to it, not really.

Where for me this Vita thing comes in handy is you can play the vita games on a big screen when at home on native hardware, which should be fine, always managed with PSP through component, sure when PS4 drops I can use it to stream that when there are TV contention issues instead of buying two consoles but that wouldn't be a primary want for it especially as like PC streaming it's not going to be the best experience, its unlikely to be doing 1080p/60 for example when streaming.
Old 10th Sep 2013, 15:38   #19
lacuna
Supermodder

I would expect any limitation would be the wireless connection rather than the receiver (vita). There is no reason why there should be a limitation on streaming a 1080p signal with an underlying control I/O. Theoretically, for streaming PS4 the controller could interract directly with the PS4, even in another room, rather than through the vita but it probably won't work like that.

Tags
apple tv, console gaming, dualshock 3, microconsole, ouya, playstation, playstation 4, playstation vita, playstation vita tv, ps, ps vita, ps vita tv, ps4, vita tv