bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 11th Sep 2013, 21:07   #1
Ace_finland
Multimodder

Ace_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for president
[Intel NUC] The microprocessor [Completed - Final pics page2]

Hey guys,

For a long time i've been wanting to make a small pc for the tv so when i saw the announcement of the Intel NUC/Bit-tech competition i thought i would send in a design and see how it goes. Sadly I didn't get picked for the competition but in the true spirit of modding i bought all the parts instead so i can still make a case.

Background:
When i first saw the Intel NUC and its small size i knew it would be perfect for my needs. When thinking of a design for the competition i started looking at Intel's old microprocessors and what they meant for the general public back in the days. These nuc motherboards are a bit of the same in my mind seeing they are quite powerful for their very small form factor. Anyways, enough of that

This is the design i sent in for the competition. It has changed quite a bit but i don't have any better ones.

Decided on a different version (still an i3) but with an wired network and no thunderbolt as i have no need for thunderbolt as of now and it was a bit cheaper

Nuc, 8GB of vengence 1600 ram and a wireless & BT card from Intel

120GB Kingston SSD

Now that that is over lets start with the build pictures
200x200x20mm piece of aluminum cut with a circular saw, worked a lot better than i thought it would.

As i recently finished upgrading my homebuilt CNC mill/router i thought i would put it to the test during this build

The Mill

Took me a while with the electronics since im no electrician and don't have a lot of skills with it, luckily no smoke

A bit of roughing with a 6mm endmill

More pictures tomorrow or friday as i have gotten a bit further than this.

Hope you like it and please drop a comment

Last edited by Ace_finland; 3rd Oct 2013 at 20:26.
Ace_finland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Sep 2013, 16:25   #2
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
'ERRYbody's getting a mill. They are a lot of fun, aren't they? Are you going for a passive cooler on the NUC?
You will want to remove the aluminum glazing from your circular saw blade. If you used an abrasive bit, be careful. the aluminum gets in the surface and causes them to explode. -If it's metal, you need to check that it's not warped.
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Sep 2013, 06:57   #3
Ace_finland
Multimodder

Ace_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapskate View Post
'ERRYbody's getting a mill. They are a lot of fun, aren't they? Are you going for a passive cooler on the NUC?
You will want to remove the aluminum glazing from your circular saw blade. If you used an abrasive bit, be careful. the aluminum gets in the surface and causes them to explode. -If it's metal, you need to check that it's not warped.
They sure are fun, made it a while ago but haven't used it much before upgrading to the new spindle/VFD combo It was a HSS blade so everything went fine
Old 13th Sep 2013, 09:23   #4
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
love it!!
Burnout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2013, 19:01   #5
shinji2k
Multimodder

shinji2k - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!shinji2k - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!shinji2k - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!shinji2k - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!shinji2k - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!shinji2k - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!shinji2k - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!shinji2k - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!shinji2k - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!shinji2k - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!shinji2k - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Looks great!

For future reference they make blades specifically for cutting aluminum that have a negative rake to prevent it grabbing. I use one on my table saw and compound miter saw with a bit of wax for lube and it works well.
shinji2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Sep 2013, 13:01   #6
Ace_finland
Multimodder

Thx for the comment guys!

shinji2k: thx for the info, I will have a look for one of them.

Forgot to post this in the first post but this is from where i got the inspiration, its not to scale since that would have meant making it very long

Started with milling som slots for the air intake

The air intake is done, and lowerd the tabs for where the nuc will be seated

Bottom side, as you can see i left a few tabs so the piece wouldn't move while milling through the sheet. Just cleaned of the tabs with a file as they were only around 2mm thick

For some reason i'm missing a lot of photos from milling the slots and the holes for the legs. But here are the slots

Had to mill out a bit for some of the slots because they all connectors are not on the same line

As usual something is bound to go wrong and while milling the slots for the connectors i forgot to zero the mill bit so all connectors are 1mm off to one side. That's why up in the right corner i had to make an extension bit for the motherboard

Test fit of the powerhouse As u might have noticed the air intake is on the bottom side, i didn't want to have an air intake in the lid and making it this way i can get airflow through all components before leaving the case.

Sneak preview of next update

more updates coming soon
Old 16th Sep 2013, 18:37   #7
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
Not going fully passive.

What's the mysterious hole next to the fan vent for?
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2013, 20:56   #8
Ace_finland
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapskate View Post
Not going fully passive.

What's the mysterious hole next to the fan vent for?
I was thinking of water cooling it with all the water cooling parts in a microprocessor socket which the processor would be plugged into, after thinking a bit more i decided it would take too much time and money to see it through. The passive would have been nice but never thought about it

The mystery hole is for a on/off button
Old 18th Sep 2013, 19:23   #9
Dr. Coin
Minimodder

Dr. Coin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_finland View Post
I love the case.
I cannot help but think it would be cool to build several of these cases and a matching circuit board to plug each case into. It would be the coolest looking computer farm.
Dr. Coin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Sep 2013, 19:00   #10
Ace_finland
Multimodder

Thx Dr. Coin, that would be pretty cool

Seem to get less and less time with modding every week but got a lot done during the weekend

The acrylic, Not much about it yet but i still need to get the film of the die on it, but that will be in a later update. Not the greatest finish on it but needs to be as "frosty" as possible to spread the light evenly.

The lid itself is just hollowed out on the inside, did a quick test fit to see if everything lines up. The lexan is slightly bigger than the aluminum. This might be because i removed the inner part first and then milled the outer profile, just give it a good sanding and it will be alright

The second mystery hole is for a fan controller to adjust the brightness of the leds (so u know cheapskate )

Time to give the case some legs , decided to go with m3 socket head screws so milled some 2,5mm holes

Milling a few legs at a time, didn't wanna mill all in one go in the event none of them would fit.

After finishing the leg cut outs i was thinking a while how i could chamfer the other side without using a file. So i milled out a pocket of the lexan where the legs fitted perfectly and then just jammed them in there with a plastic hammer and started chamfering. Worked a lot better than i thought it would

The three stages of the legs and the final color i picked. Did not expect the gold color looking so good. usually u need to try all brands before finding a good one.

All 12 legs milled and chamfered. Threading was a pain but eventually i got them all done. Had to use a normal one to get the start and made a custom flat end one to get it all the way to the bottom

quick test fit to see how it looks.

Next update coming tomorrow!
The color i chose, same as the test bench i made last year. It's called fine black, a very light texture which makes it look very "oem". Def my favorite black. Looks very bumpy but it's due to the ridiculous cropping i did to not show the hole thing
Old 24th Sep 2013, 00:07   #11
Idioteque
Telephasic Mongoose

Idioteque is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Idioteque is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Idioteque is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Idioteque is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Idioteque is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Idioteque is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Idioteque is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Idioteque is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Idioteque is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Idioteque is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Idioteque is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I love it! Can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 24th Sep 2013, 03:25   #12
HybridCore
Multimodder

HybridCore has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Photos are dead for me. DAMN YOU PHOTOBUCKET!
Old 24th Sep 2013, 08:02   #13
Ace_finland
Multimodder

Thx idioteque! Should be fixed now hybridcore! Exceeded the free 10gb bandwith but have paid for service now so should be up again
Old 24th Sep 2013, 10:35   #14
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_finland View Post
Thx idioteque! Should be fixed now hybridcore! Exceeded the free 10gb bandwith but have paid for service now so should be up again
You could load them pictures into your bit-tech photoalbum. No need for paying photobucket.

Anyways... näyttää todella upeaa

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Sep 2013, 12:28   #15
The_Crapman
MD of M.Z.A. Inc and Weasel Pimp

The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.
Or Flickr. They don't have a limit anymore. Love the build. Genius idea.

How to Get a FREE (sort of) Hard Drive and Other Small Parts
The_Crapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Sep 2013, 13:37   #16
quizz_kid
Squid

quizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Great design followed by great execution... I like i very much! Don't understand why your design didn't make the cut, competition wise Can't wait to see the illumination. Looks AMAZING!

Follow me on: http://www.facebook.com/enannanvision

Last edited by quizz_kid; 24th Sep 2013 at 13:49.
quizz_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Sep 2013, 13:48   #17
quizz_kid
Squid

quizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
double post

Follow me on: http://www.facebook.com/enannanvision
quizz_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Sep 2013, 13:54   #18
CarlT2001
Supermodder

CarlT2001 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.CarlT2001 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.CarlT2001 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.CarlT2001 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.CarlT2001 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.CarlT2001 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.CarlT2001 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.CarlT2001 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.CarlT2001 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.CarlT2001 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.CarlT2001 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Love it. I would happily part with money to have one.
If you did a 555 timer version, I would part with even more money!
CarlT2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Sep 2013, 15:00   #19
dream1
Multimodder

dream1 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Biggest chip i ever seen!!! Looks like it is based on new 1cm architecture
Hay that looks cool.
dream1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Sep 2013, 16:16   #20
Ace_finland
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77 View Post
You could load them pictures into your bit-tech photoalbum. No need for paying photobucket.

Anyways... näyttää todella upeaa
I could but posting in several forums so it seems easier to have it online somewhere Kiitti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Crapman View Post
Or Flickr. They don't have a limit anymore. Love the build. Genius idea.
I looked at flickr but then i would have to redo all the links, seemed easier to just pau

Quote:
Originally Posted by quizz_kid View Post
Great design followed by great execution... I like i very much! Don't understand why your design didn't make the cut, competition wise Can't wait to see the illumination. Looks AMAZING!
Thx quizz_kid! Well i like all the designs that are competing and i bet they had a hard time choosing the competitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlT2001 View Post
Love it. I would happily part with money to have one.
If you did a 555 timer version, I would part with even more money!
Thx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream1 View Post
Biggest chip i ever seen!!! Looks like it is based on new 1cm architecture
Hay that looks cool.
lol, moving backwards...

View Mode