bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 25th Sep 2013, 10:02   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Nvidia pledges to play nicer with Linux

Could SteamOS signal an attitude shift?
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...nvidia-linux/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2013, 10:14   #2
theshadow2001
I *am* a Dremel

theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.
This is great news. I was hoping that the SteamOS would help bring about better drivers for linux and it seems it has.
theshadow2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2013, 11:13   #3
damien c
Mad FPS Gamer

damien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Now for those of us who mainly play games on our pc's, we just need the developers of the AAA titles to actually support Linux.
damien c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2013, 11:17   #4
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c View Post
Now for those of us who mainly play games on our pc's, we just need the developers of the AAA titles to actually support Linux.
We're getting there: all Valve-published games from this day forward will support Linux, most indies are launching simultaneously on Linux alongside other platforms, and as for the triple-As you've got Metro: Last Light coming to Linux - and if that enjoys success on the platform, others will doubtless follow.

There's no real excuse not to: most game engines run fine on Linux, and even when you're using an in-house engine porting isn't hard. Case in point: Serious Sam was ported to Linux by one guy. Not a team of engineers, just one guy. (I interviewed him a while back - lovely chap.)
Old 25th Sep 2013, 13:31   #5
Glix
Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

Glix has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree
Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c View Post
We're getting there: all Valve-published games from this day forward will support Linux, most indies are launching simultaneously on Linux alongside other platforms, and as for the triple-As you've got Metro: Last Light coming to Linux - and if that enjoys success on the platform, others will doubtless follow.

There's no real excuse not to: most game engines run fine on Linux, and even when you're using an in-house engine porting isn't hard. Case in point: Serious Sam was ported to Linux by one guy. Not a team of engineers, just one guy. (I interviewed him a while back - lovely chap.)
But its a bit unfair to imply that games can be ported easily to Linux. Some engines are designed purely to work on Windows, so is it a Management problem or a lack skills within the teams?
Glix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2013, 14:12   #6
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
Valve will force the issue eventually most likely, they will at least support the valve OS if nothing else.

Valve would not have pushed ahead with its plans without publisher support.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2013, 14:22   #7
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glix View Post
But its a bit unfair to imply that games can be ported easily to Linux. Some engines are designed purely to work on Windows [...]
Name one. No, seriously. There are very few game engines designed purely for use with Windows. Any game that is also available on a PS3, Wii U, hand-held console or Mac, for a start, is already ripe for a quick port to Linux. (Incidentally, Ryan handles OS X ports as well - one of the benefits of a shared POSIX-like environment betwix that and Linux.)

Here's a few engines I can name from the top of my head: Unity, Unreal, Frostbite, Torque, CryEngine, Gamebryo, id Tech, REDengine, RenderWare and RAGE. Not a single one of those is Windows-exclusive. Point of fact, designing a Windows-exclusive game engine in this day and age would be a monumentally stupid thing to do - the whole point of middleware is that it abstracts you from the underlying platform, not ties you in to one specific market.
Old 25th Sep 2013, 14:50   #8
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
What with Valve, AMD, and now NVidia all paying more attention to Linux (open source)

Are we seeing the beginning of the end of the proprietary systems so loved by Microsoft, Apple, Sony, and the rest of the company's that try desperately to control what users can do.

The more you tighten your grip, the more systems will slip through your fingers
Corky42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2013, 16:07   #9
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
Find out pretty fast if xbox one and ps4 dont sell well, Apples latest product launch sold 9million in 2 days.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2013, 16:46   #10
teppic
Ultramodder

teppic is definitely a rep cheat.teppic is definitely a rep cheat.teppic is definitely a rep cheat.teppic is definitely a rep cheat.teppic is definitely a rep cheat.teppic is definitely a rep cheat.teppic is definitely a rep cheat.teppic is definitely a rep cheat.teppic is definitely a rep cheat.teppic is definitely a rep cheat.teppic is definitely a rep cheat.
The open source drivers won't be used for gaming on Linux. It's great that they're improving of course. Both companies are putting a lot of effort in lately.

And yes, major games aren't developed specifically for Windows. Whether existing games are ported or not will depend on demand. There'd be an advantage of porting older games - some big performance improvements (particularly DirectX 9 titles).
Old 25th Sep 2013, 16:53   #11
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
If the open source drivers wont be wont be used for gaming on Linux could you explain to simpletons like my self what they will be used for, does the community have different priority's ?
Corky42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2013, 18:04   #12
teppic
Ultramodder

teppic is definitely a rep cheat.teppic is definitely a rep cheat.teppic is definitely a rep cheat.teppic is definitely a rep cheat.teppic is definitely a rep cheat.teppic is definitely a rep cheat.teppic is definitely a rep cheat.teppic is definitely a rep cheat.teppic is definitely a rep cheat.teppic is definitely a rep cheat.teppic is definitely a rep cheat.
The open source drivers are usually used for desktop and basic 3D. There are political/philosophical reasons for the open source drivers as well. Plus there can be distribution problems if you include the proprietary ones, currently most distributions ship with open source drivers and give you the option to download the proprietary ones once installed.
Old 25th Sep 2013, 19:10   #13
Glix
Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

Glix has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree
-
League of Legends? I know it's on Mac, but a lot of people report it doesn't work properly.

I don't whether that is a result of the hardware of the users or a problem with certain OS setups.
Glix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amd, binary blob, geforce, intel, linus torvalds, linux, nouveau, nvidia, open source, proprietary driver, steam box, steamos, tegra, valve