bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 26th Sep 2013, 00:32   #1
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
AMD unveils Mantle, a new high-speed gaming API

Leveraging its console design wins AMD is pushing a new AMD optimised API.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...speed-gaming/1
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Sep 2013, 01:03   #2
Anakha
Supermodder

Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Yay! It's 3DFX Glide Vs. PowerVR all over again. *sigh*. Or, alternatively:
Old 26th Sep 2013, 01:33   #3
jcb121
Modder

jcb121 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
so will mantle work on linux?

this way we could see A++ games on linux and also, Steam OS!

and then we could all ditch windows.
and grow really long beards.
jcb121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Sep 2013, 01:56   #4
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb121
so will mantle work on linux?

this way we could see A++ games on linux and also, Steam OS!

and then we could all ditch windows.
and grow really long beards.
Strokes beard in contemplative manner.
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Sep 2013, 01:58   #5
AlienwareAndy
Banned

AlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I never could grow a beard. It always got to about 1/2" and then drove me nuts.
AlienwareAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Sep 2013, 02:10   #6
erratum1
Banned

erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.
Sounds good maybe this is what the pc needs for the next gen for smooth well running games rather than just throwing MORE POWER at it.

I remember this from the alan wake developer

Quote:
Draw Distance - Xbox build had this at Full - it was mainly added as an optimization. Draw calls are way more expensive on the PC than they are on the Xbox360, and this reduces draw calls.
erratum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Sep 2013, 02:31   #7
Neogumbercules
Mod Master

Neogumbercules is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neogumbercules is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neogumbercules is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neogumbercules is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neogumbercules is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neogumbercules is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neogumbercules is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neogumbercules is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neogumbercules is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neogumbercules is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neogumbercules is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
AMD looks dead set on becoming the gamer's choice again over Nvidia/Intel. If the performance boost really is that great we're looking at a major advantage in pretty much all of EA's future titles. Apparently they've also optimized BF4 to take full advantage of their 8 cire CPUs. Going the api/partnership route to advancing their enthusiast level performance gap on the CPU side is actually really smart. I think they know they aren't going to beat Intel with brute cpu force any time soon and it's fairly forward looking, to bet on a much more threaded future in terms of general computing and especially gaming.
Old 26th Sep 2013, 03:25   #8
AlienwareAndy
Banned

AlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neogumbercules View Post
AMD looks dead set on becoming the gamer's choice again over Nvidia/Intel. If the performance boost really is that great we're looking at a major advantage in pretty much all of EA's future titles. Apparently they've also optimized BF4 to take full advantage of their 8 cire CPUs. Going the api/partnership route to advancing their enthusiast level performance gap on the CPU side is actually really smart. I think they know they aren't going to beat Intel with brute cpu force any time soon and it's fairly forward looking, to bet on a much more threaded future in terms of general computing and especially gaming.
TBH I'm tired of smashing my head on a brick wall when it comes to this stuff, so I will just post this, and slowly walk away whilst whistling quietly.

It's been a long time coming.....
Old 26th Sep 2013, 03:36   #9
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Huge, huge news they got their API into BF4. Massive AMD win there.

I wonder what Sony's contract with MS is over DirectX on PS4 and if they'll be pushing a switch to Mantle?
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Sep 2013, 03:41   #10
ssj12
Hypermodder

ssj12 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Why cant we just push OpenGL development?
ssj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Sep 2013, 03:58   #11
Neogumbercules
Mod Master

Neogumbercules is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neogumbercules is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neogumbercules is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neogumbercules is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neogumbercules is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neogumbercules is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neogumbercules is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neogumbercules is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neogumbercules is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neogumbercules is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neogumbercules is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
See, what sucks now is that I'm back to considering AMD for my next build but I'm still squarely stuck on wanting to build now vs wanting to wait for Steamroller and wanting to use my ITX case but not having any AM3+ ITX mobos.

Price wise, I'm looking at about $600 for my Haswell build vs $450 for the Piledriver build. A pretty decent price difference but something inside of me cringes at buying year old AMD stuff. If the performance really is much better in BF4 (which is what I will most likely be spending most of my gaming time on) then maybe I will go for it.

But then my whole ROG themed Bit Fenix Prodigy mod idea goes out the window... then again, if I clock the balls off of the Piledriver chip, all of the 3D rendering I've been doing lately will be a whole hell of a lot faster. 8-core Piledriver at 5Ghz vs my 3.2ghz llano APU...

Maybe I'll just split the difference and wait for the Prodigy M.
Old 26th Sep 2013, 04:01   #12
siliconfanatic
Johny-come-lately

siliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I am sensing a strong presence of win from AMD. This could very well put some oomph back into AMD's red fists of fury.
Do not let anything good in life pass you by. Cherish it with all of your heart, because before you know it even life will have passed you by. And if you let all those things pass you by? The only thing filling your heart will be deep sadness and regret. So whatever you do, hold on, and never let go.
siliconfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Sep 2013, 04:13   #13
AlienwareAndy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neogumbercules View Post
See, what sucks now is that I'm back to considering AMD for my next build but I'm still squarely stuck on wanting to build now vs wanting to wait for Steamroller and wanting to use my ITX case but not having any AM3+ ITX mobos.

Price wise, I'm looking at about $600 for my Haswell build vs $450 for the Piledriver build. A pretty decent price difference but something inside of me cringes at buying year old AMD stuff. If the performance really is much better in BF4 (which is what I will most likely be spending most of my gaming time on) then maybe I will go for it.

But then my whole ROG themed Bit Fenix Prodigy mod idea goes out the window... then again, if I clock the balls off of the Piledriver chip, all of the 3D rendering I've been doing lately will be a whole hell of a lot faster. 8-core Piledriver at 5Ghz vs my 3.2ghz llano APU...

Maybe I'll just split the difference and wait for the Prodigy M.
I had a choice yesterday of sticking with AMD or going Intel. Here's what happened....

I actually had the chance to ditch AMD and make a return to Intel.

TBH? I really, truly, don't give a crap what people say about the PD CPUs. I can only speak from experience of running one since May and it's been a bloody fantastic CPU to have.

There were early signs. Basically BF3, Tomb Raider (and anything else with AMD Gaming Evolved ! slapped on it) utterly demolished my old Sandybridge chip. Crysis 3? well it and Far Cry 3 were a showcase of what was to come.

As they say - you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. Give it time and it'll all become crushingly clear.

990FX may well be long in the tooth but Intel weren't even going to bother with SATA III for Sandybridge. Nothing has changed, nothing has moved on. With a good 990 board you get 8x SATA III etc etc all for a lot less than the Intel counterpart.

I'm really looking forward to putting the 8+2+2 power stages to good use. I'm going to clock the absolute balls out of the CPU
Old 26th Sep 2013, 05:31   #14
Neogumbercules
Mod Master

Looks like we can be build-buddies, but I went the other way

It really came down to the ITX issue. I was willing to sacrifice the ROG board. If I could have gotten an 8320 in the ITX format, I would have. If I went for the ATX or M-ATX solution I would have ended up having to buy a new case since I'm passing on my Fractal to my dad for his B-day next month, along with some old parts I'm gonna throw something together for him.

I could have waited for the Bit-Fenix Prodigy M, but I already own a Bit-Fenix Prodigy, and buying a new case would have eliminated any savings I would have made going with AMD in the first place.

Overall, I know neither of us will be unhappy with our purchases! I plan on de-lidding that chip and hitting it with Coollaboratory Liquid Pro. Users have seen 30c drops doing this, so I'm gonna give it a try, then aim for a 4.8 OC

OH! And AMDs new cards will match the ROG Red/Black color scheme perfectly

The good news, from what I can gather, is that the Mantle API will improve CPU efficiency across the board by reducing the load the graphics engine puts on the CPU. That is brand agnostic, so even if I don't get the full Frostbite 3 8 core experience, I'm sure it'll still run like a monster on an OC'd 4670k.

Last edited by Neogumbercules; 26th Sep 2013 at 05:38.
Neogumbercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Sep 2013, 05:35   #15
Bonedoctor
Have you turned it off & on again?

Bonedoctor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj12
Why cant we just push OpenGL development?
$$$ ?
Bonedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Sep 2013, 06:02   #16
teppic
Ultramodder

teppic is definitely a rep cheat.teppic is definitely a rep cheat.teppic is definitely a rep cheat.teppic is definitely a rep cheat.teppic is definitely a rep cheat.teppic is definitely a rep cheat.teppic is definitely a rep cheat.teppic is definitely a rep cheat.teppic is definitely a rep cheat.teppic is definitely a rep cheat.teppic is definitely a rep cheat.
Companies have no control over OpenGL, while Microsoft has sole control over DirectX.

It's clear AMD is distancing itself from Microsoft. I haven't read up on Mantle enough but I assume although it's cross platform, it's only supported on AMD GPUs. Either way the advantage, as with OpenGL, is Microsoft is out of the equation, and games can use the latest graphics regardless of what Microsoft tries to force people to upgrade to.
Old 26th Sep 2013, 08:29   #17
Dave Lister
Hypermodder

Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teppic
Companies have no control over OpenGL, while Microsoft has sole control over DirectX.

It's clear AMD is distancing itself from Microsoft. I haven't read up on Mantle enough but I assume although it's cross platform, it's only supported on AMD GPUs. Either way the advantage, as with OpenGL, is Microsoft is out of the equation, and games can use the latest graphics regardless of what Microsoft tries to force people to upgrade to.
I sure they said that Mantle would be available for any gpu, but the gpu needs the correct thing in the hardware to take advantage. So older amd/ati cards won't support it and none of the current nvidia stuff will support it.

Also the impression I got from watching the presentation was that it was a guy at dice that had been pushing for the new api and it was amd who listened and implemented it.
Main Rig:Case: BitFenix Prodigy, Motherboard: MSI Z97I Gaming, CPU: Intel i7 4790K, RAM: 16Gb 2400Mhz Kingston HyperX Beast GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming, Primary HDD: 256Gb Samsung 850 Pro, Games Drive: 1Tb Toshiba SSHD, Cooler: Corsair H105, OS: Win 7 - 64
HTPC:Case: Gutted out VCR, Motherboard: Asus AT5IONT-I, CPU: Intel Atom D525 @ 1.94Ghz, RAM: 4Gb 1333Mhz Kingston GPU: Nvidia Ion 2, Primary HDD: Hitachi 500Gb, Optical Drive: NEC ND-6500A Laptop Drive, OS: Win 8.1 32
Dave Lister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Sep 2013, 08:30   #18
Dave Lister
Hypermodder

Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lister
Quote:
Originally Posted by teppic

I'm sure they said that Mantle would be available for any gpu, but the gpu needs the correct thing in the hardware to take advantage. So older amd/ati cards won't support it and none of the current nvidia stuff will support it.

Also the impression I got from watching the presentation was that it was a guy at dice that had been pushing for the new api and it was amd who listened and implemented it.
Main Rig:Case: BitFenix Prodigy, Motherboard: MSI Z97I Gaming, CPU: Intel i7 4790K, RAM: 16Gb 2400Mhz Kingston HyperX Beast GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming, Primary HDD: 256Gb Samsung 850 Pro, Games Drive: 1Tb Toshiba SSHD, Cooler: Corsair H105, OS: Win 7 - 64
HTPC:Case: Gutted out VCR, Motherboard: Asus AT5IONT-I, CPU: Intel Atom D525 @ 1.94Ghz, RAM: 4Gb 1333Mhz Kingston GPU: Nvidia Ion 2, Primary HDD: Hitachi 500Gb, Optical Drive: NEC ND-6500A Laptop Drive, OS: Win 8.1 32
Old 26th Sep 2013, 08:30   #19
Dave Lister
Hypermodder

Sorry triple post
Old 26th Sep 2013, 08:46   #20
NikoBellic
Tech Addict

NikoBellic has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lister View Post
Sorry triple post
Dunna worry I'm sure anyone would accidentally triple post if Rimmer was bugging them... :P
NikoBellic is offline   Reply With Quote