bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 27th Sep 2013, 22:05   #1
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
Valve unveils the Steam Controller

Joining SteamOS and Steam Machines, the new controller uses trackpads for thumbsticks.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...m-controller/1
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Sep 2013, 23:30   #2
Dave Lister
Hypermodder

Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
It looks and sounds expensive, I hope the steamboxes will be compatible with 360 pads. Also it looks like your thumbs would get sore if your doing a long gaming session, rubbing those pads all night.
Main Rig:Case: BitFenix Prodigy, Motherboard: MSI Z97I Gaming, CPU: Intel i7 4790K, RAM: 16Gb 2400Mhz Kingston HyperX Beast GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming, Primary HDD: 256Gb Samsung 850 Pro, Games Drive: 1Tb Toshiba SSHD, Cooler: Corsair H105, OS: Win 7 - 64
HTPC:Case: Gutted out VCR, Motherboard: Asus AT5IONT-I, CPU: Intel Atom D525 @ 1.94Ghz, RAM: 4Gb 1333Mhz Kingston GPU: Nvidia Ion 2, Primary HDD: Hitachi 500Gb, Optical Drive: NEC ND-6500A Laptop Drive, OS: Win 8.1 32
Dave Lister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Sep 2013, 23:48   #3
PCBuilderSven
Multimodder

PCBuilderSven has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Finally a pad with a bit more accuracy, I hope it's compatible with PCs as well. I reckon I'd still prefer a keyboard and mouse, though, as I agree with Dave that it looks rather tiring over longer sessions, much more so than just using a mouse. Could be fun over shorter sessions though.
PCBuilderSven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2013, 00:31   #4
SighMoan
Modder

SighMoan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I like the idea but as a 360 Pc user the competition is stiff unless they are competing the the Xbox One Pc controller which I assume MS will launch.
SighMoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2013, 01:58   #5
AmEv
Meow meow. See yall in 2-ish years!

AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.
I also hope it's Android-compatible. Who knows, Valve may just have an Android market up their sleeves, and some games (HIB/HAB, anyone?) are already on Android.
Old 28th Sep 2013, 02:55   #6
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Doesn't work with those trackpads, atleast not like you want it to. To center the pads you either need to loose contact to them, or you're guessing about the center. Same goes for the directions and the amount of how much you want it to go into a direction.

Springloaded thumbsticks are the way to go for gamepads. End of story. Anyone who has played more advanced games on a touchscreen (smartphone, tablet) can tell you, that you simply lack alot of fine-control with those touchpad-controls.

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2013, 03:34   #7
siliconfanatic
Johny-come-Lately

siliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyan
^this^ On sooo many levels, ^this^.

Thumbsticks are the only way to go for their application on a controller, while touchscreen/pads aren't. IMHO I find that a small touchscreen/pad would be perfect for use in a similar manner to the PS4 controller.
Do not let anything good in life pass you by. Cherish it with all of your heart, because before you know it even life will have passed you by. And if you let all those things pass you by? The only thing filling your heart will be deep sadness and regret. So whatever you do, hold on, and never let go.
siliconfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2013, 05:01   #8
Corky42
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Seems odd for people to be slating something that no one has tried yet, especially as they mention, higher fidelity input for the trackpads, resolution approaches that of a desktop mouse, built around a new generation of super-precise haptic feedback delivering in-game information about speed, boundaries, thresholds, textures, action confirmations.

While i to have reservations about trackpads and the whole touchy feely nature of the controller, i am at least willing to entertain the idea, that if done right it may work very well, if not better than a standard controller.
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2013, 06:32   #9
siliconfanatic
Johny-come-Lately

siliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyan
You forget, no matter how high-res the trackpad, there's the one crux of all finger-based touch devices: Fingers
Fingers, especially thumbs, negate the resolution.
Do not let anything good in life pass you by. Cherish it with all of your heart, because before you know it even life will have passed you by. And if you let all those things pass you by? The only thing filling your heart will be deep sadness and regret. So whatever you do, hold on, and never let go.
siliconfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2013, 06:46   #10
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by siliconfanatic
You forget, no matter how high-res the trackpad, there's the one crux of all finger-based touch devices: Fingers
I see where you're coming from but I really can't see how you can be see dismissive of an untried approach. Moreover, this is valve we're talking about, a company known for honing things to near perfection before release. Why would it risk its reputation if it didn't strongly believe this approach would work.
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2013, 08:16   #11
fluxtatic
Supermodder

fluxtatic has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lister
It looks and sounds expensive, I hope the steamboxes will be compatible with 360 pads. Also it looks like your thumbs would get sore if your doing a long gaming session, rubbing those pads all night.
Won't be as bad as when I got my NES and I played Mario until my left thumb developed a monster callus.
fluxtatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2013, 08:44   #12
d_stilgar
Old School Modder

d_stilgar is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.d_stilgar is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.d_stilgar is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.d_stilgar is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.d_stilgar is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.d_stilgar is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.d_stilgar is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.d_stilgar is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.d_stilgar is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.d_stilgar is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.d_stilgar is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I think this article about the controller is well worth a read. Should calm fears and get people at least curious if not excited.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/2..._they_said.php
d_stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2013, 08:46   #13
Fracture
Minimodder

Fracture has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I didn't think I would be interested, but I actually have high hopes for the Steam Machine. I respect Valve for trying something different with their game controller, as I did expect much the same as is the trend with other console manufacturers. Who knows if this will work or not but it certainly shows promise and this is Valve we're talking about. If they are satisfied with the controller, I would bank on other gamers being just as satisfied. Valve is taking a really big risk which could either prove to be a master stroke and massively profitable, or it could be a big loss for the company. I for one will be watching this one closely.
Fracture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2013, 09:46   #14
Dave Lister
Hypermodder

Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I really hope the pads will be as good as the gamasutra article suggests, I still have doubts about them and the cost of the controller though. I mean it was 40 for my 360 controller and receiver which are rather basic in comparison.

ALSO... I'm very upset that yet again there was no Half Life news !
Main Rig:Case: BitFenix Prodigy, Motherboard: MSI Z97I Gaming, CPU: Intel i7 4790K, RAM: 16Gb 2400Mhz Kingston HyperX Beast GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming, Primary HDD: 256Gb Samsung 850 Pro, Games Drive: 1Tb Toshiba SSHD, Cooler: Corsair H105, OS: Win 7 - 64
HTPC:Case: Gutted out VCR, Motherboard: Asus AT5IONT-I, CPU: Intel Atom D525 @ 1.94Ghz, RAM: 4Gb 1333Mhz Kingston GPU: Nvidia Ion 2, Primary HDD: Hitachi 500Gb, Optical Drive: NEC ND-6500A Laptop Drive, OS: Win 8.1 32
Dave Lister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2013, 10:10   #15
Corky42
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_stilgar View Post
I think this article about the controller is well worth a read. Should calm fears and get people at least curious if not excited.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/2..._they_said.php
Nice find, and a good read.
I also found this on the same site.
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Tommy...Controller.php

I think if Valve want assuage peoples fears over using trackpads instead of sticks they have to give as many people as possible the chance to test them, beyond the 300 being sent out with the beta test program.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lister View Post
I wouldn't give up hope, I'm expecting something to be announced when they set a date for public release.
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2013, 10:26   #16
Ande
Gamer

Ande has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by siliconfanatic View Post
This is true when attempting to click a specific object on a tiny mobile phone screen.

This won't be true for the steam controller though. Its just accepting the movement of your thumbs. The sensors will read the 'thumbprint area' and subtle movements of this area and it will be mouselike accuracy.

Do this: Turn your laser/infrared mouse over - move your thumb over the sensor hole (careful not to shine the laser in your eyes!). Perfect accuracy even though your thumb is big... This is kindof what the steam controller will do.
Ande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2013, 10:42   #17
d_stilgar
Old School Modder

d_stilgar is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.d_stilgar is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.d_stilgar is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.d_stilgar is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.d_stilgar is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.d_stilgar is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.d_stilgar is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.d_stilgar is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.d_stilgar is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.d_stilgar is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.d_stilgar is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lister View Post
Imagine this . . .

Steambox Hardware Release
Official Steam OS Release
Steam Controller Release

With Valve's own AAA launch titles . . .

Left 4 Dead 3
Portal 3
Team Fortress 3
And Halflife 3

All running on . . .

the Source 2 engine.

That would make my day, year, and decade.
d_stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2013, 12:00   #18
Phil Rhodes
Hypernobber

Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Oh good. Steam, the last best hope for PC gaming, has gone all console.
Phil Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2013, 12:07   #19
longweight
Possibly Longbeard.

longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.
I love threads like this, a piece of new and untried technology gets bashed and shouted down. Seems to be the same with any innovation these days.
longweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2013, 13:01   #20
Sentinel-R1
Morse Monkey

Sentinel-R1 is definitely a rep cheat.Sentinel-R1 is definitely a rep cheat.Sentinel-R1 is definitely a rep cheat.Sentinel-R1 is definitely a rep cheat.Sentinel-R1 is definitely a rep cheat.Sentinel-R1 is definitely a rep cheat.Sentinel-R1 is definitely a rep cheat.Sentinel-R1 is definitely a rep cheat.Sentinel-R1 is definitely a rep cheat.Sentinel-R1 is definitely a rep cheat.Sentinel-R1 is definitely a rep cheat.
For the very casual lounge gamer and maybe kiddie games, I think it's innovative. However, like others, I'm skeptical if it'll work well. My thumbs are huge and I'm not really sure how something with as much surface area as mine will translate to an accurate, reliable track on screen. I also have to agree with other comments on friction issues. Long gaming sessions would be rather uncomfortable I should imagine.

I'm not even going to comment on how poor I think it'd be for FPS games, although I see Valve didn't mention FPS as a likely use. Are you supposed to use this new one for cursor driven games and have a traditional stick setup for FPS? I don't see the point when sticks do it all already...

Ten out of ten for innovation but it seems a bit like they're developing this to fill a gap in the market that doesn't need filling. I'd have rather seen them release a well engineered pad with steam specific features and traditional sticks.
28" HannsG HZ281 | 19" Samsung Syncmaster 971P | K70 | MS Sidewinder | Steelseries Siberia v2 White | Corsair HS1
Sentinel-R1 is online now   Reply With Quote