1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve unveils the Steam Controller

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 27 Sep 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

It looks and sounds expensive, I hope the steamboxes will be compatible with 360 pads. Also it looks like your thumbs would get sore if your doing a long gaming session, rubbing those pads all night.

3. PCBuilderSven

PCBuilderSven Minimodder

Finally a pad with a bit more accuracy, I hope it's compatible with PCs as well. I reckon I'd still prefer a keyboard and mouse, though, as I agree with Dave that it looks rather tiring over longer sessions, much more so than just using a mouse. Could be fun over shorter sessions though.

4. SighMoan

SighMoan What's a Dremel?

I like the idea but as a 360 Pc user the competition is stiff unless they are competing the the Xbox One Pc controller which I assume MS will launch.

5. AmEv

AmEv Meow meow. See yall in 2-ish years!

I also hope it's Android-compatible. Who knows, Valve may just have an Android market up their sleeves, and some games (HIB/HAB, anyone?) are already on Android.

6. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Doesn't work with those trackpads, atleast not like you want it to. To center the pads you either need to loose contact to them, or you're guessing about the center. Same goes for the directions and the amount of how much you want it to go into a direction.

Springloaded thumbsticks are the way to go for gamepads. End of story. Anyone who has played more advanced games on a touchscreen (smartphone, tablet) can tell you, that you simply lack alot of fine-control with those touchpad-controls.

7. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

^this^ On sooo many levels, ^this^.

Thumbsticks are the only way to go for their application on a controller, while touchscreen/pads aren't. IMHO I find that a small touchscreen/pad would be perfect for use in a similar manner to the PS4 controller.

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Seems odd for people to be slating something that no one has tried yet, especially as they mention, higher fidelity input for the trackpads, resolution approaches that of a desktop mouse, built around a new generation of super-precise haptic feedback delivering in-game information about speed, boundaries, thresholds, textures, action confirmations.

While i to have reservations about trackpads and the whole touchy feely nature of the controller, i am at least willing to entertain the idea, that if done right it may work very well, if not better than a standard controller.

9. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

You forget, no matter how high-res the trackpad, there's the one crux of all finger-based touch devices: Fingers
    Fingers, especially thumbs, negate the resolution.

10. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

I see where you're coming from but I really can't see how you can be see dismissive of an untried approach. Moreover, this is valve we're talking about, a company known for honing things to near perfection before release. Why would it risk its reputation if it didn't strongly believe this approach would work.

11. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Won't be as bad as when I got my NES and I played Mario until my left thumb developed a monster callus.

12. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

13. Fracture

Fracture What's a Dremel?

I didn't think I would be interested, but I actually have high hopes for the Steam Machine. I respect Valve for trying something different with their game controller, as I did expect much the same as is the trend with other console manufacturers. Who knows if this will work or not but it certainly shows promise and this is Valve we're talking about. If they are satisfied with the controller, I would bank on other gamers being just as satisfied. Valve is taking a really big risk which could either prove to be a master stroke and massively profitable, or it could be a big loss for the company. I for one will be watching this one closely.

14. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I really hope the pads will be as good as the gamasutra article suggests, I still have doubts about them and the cost of the controller though. I mean it was £40 for my 360 controller and receiver which are rather basic in comparison.

ALSO... I'm very upset that yet again there was no Half Life news !

15. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Nice find, and a good read.
    I also found this on the same site.
    http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/TommyRefenes/20130928/201219/My_time_with_the_Steam_Controller.php

I think if Valve want assuage peoples fears over using trackpads instead of sticks they have to give as many people as possible the chance to test them, beyond the 300 being sent out with the beta test program.

EDIT:
    I wouldn't give up hope, I'm expecting something to be announced when they set a date for public release.

16. Ande

Ande Gamer

This is true when attempting to click a specific object on a tiny mobile phone screen.

This won't be true for the steam controller though. Its just accepting the movement of your thumbs. The sensors will read the 'thumbprint area' and subtle movements of this area and it will be mouselike accuracy.

Do this: Turn your laser/infrared mouse over - move your thumb over the sensor hole (careful not to shine the laser in your eyes!). Perfect accuracy even though your thumb is big... This is kindof what the steam controller will do.

17. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

Imagine this . . .

Steambox Hardware Release
    Official Steam OS Release
    Steam Controller Release

With Valve's own AAA launch titles . . .

Left 4 Dead 3
    Portal 3
    Team Fortress 3
    And Halflife 3

All running on . . .

the Source 2 engine.

That would make my day, year, and decade.

18. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Oh good. Steam, the last best hope for PC gaming, has gone all console.

19. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

I love threads like this, a piece of new and untried technology gets bashed and shouted down. Seems to be the same with any innovation these days.

20. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

For the very casual lounge gamer and maybe kiddie games, I think it's innovative. However, like others, I'm skeptical if it'll work well. My thumbs are huge and I'm not really sure how something with as much surface area as mine will translate to an accurate, reliable track on screen. I also have to agree with other comments on friction issues. Long gaming sessions would be rather uncomfortable I should imagine.

I'm not even going to comment on how poor I think it'd be for FPS games, although I see Valve didn't mention FPS as a likely use. Are you supposed to use this new one for cursor driven games and have a traditional stick setup for FPS? I don't see the point when sticks do it all already...

Ten out of ten for innovation but it seems a bit like they're developing this to fill a gap in the market that doesn't need filling. I'd have rather seen them release a well engineered pad with steam specific features and traditional sticks.

Tags: Add Tags