bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 1st Oct 2013, 16:24   #1
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Mosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run Crysis
Visible Contrast - Updated 18th, Nov 2013 - Completed Photos with Transparent LCD

Hey, back at it again. Originally I was going to build a wooden computer case to house my new desktop build, including space a pair of 240mm radiators for a CPU, GPU, and motherboard loop. But then I ended up deciding on the Asus Gryphon motherboard instead of the Maximus VI Gene. This led me to drop the motherboard from the loop. Since I donít game, or need a graphics card that has a full cover block, I decided to keep my 4GB 640GT for now, and just go with a CPU loop for my first custom water-cooling loop.

The name:
This mod is named Visible Contrast due to the fact that it will be a black and white build, stemming off of the color scheme of the NZXT H230 Silent Chassis that I will be modding, after reviewing it at The Mod Zoo. There will also be a surprise for the side panel window, which will shed light on the name as well.

The Mods:
The mods will include making space for mounting a 240mm radiator in the front, and a window (of sorts) in the side panel, and a few other things here or there. I am hoping to keep this project pretty straight forward, and relatively quick.

The Stuff:
Here's a list of some of the stuff that I'll be using in this mod

NZXT H230 Silent Chassis

NZXT HALE82 V2 550w White Power Supply

XSPC AX240 Radiator

MNPCTech Black Anodized Grooved Case Feet

U-Channel molding

Black pop-rivets

3M Scotch 4010 Tape (Tape of the Gawds)

Last edited by Mosquito; 18th Nov 2013 at 16:39.
Mosquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Oct 2013, 16:25   #2
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Mosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run Crysis
Update - Fitting the Radiator

For this first update, I’ll be making room for the 240mm Rad up front.

I’m starting with the stock NZXT H230 Chassis.

The upper 3.5” drive cage is removable by thumb screws. The bottom cage is removable too…

When I say “removable”, there is a little more work required...

This is much better. Next up is the same treatment for the 5.25” bay.

Both drive cages are now out, and there is plenty of space in the front.

There were a few more rivets to drill out than I thought there would be.

Now it’s time to make a little headroom for the radiator.
I’ve marked out the bottom of the 5.25” bay for the cut out.

Not too bad for just a dremel, I think.

Radiator fitted to show the plan.

You can see why this was required. Definitely not enough room otherwise.

I decided I wanted to remove a little more; there just wasn’t enough clearance for me.

That’ll do.

This was the next issue that needed tackling.
I’ve already drilled out the factory 6-32 threaded inserts with an 11/64” drill bit.
The lower set of fan screw holes don’t line up quite right.

Out with the small needle file to make some ovals.

That is good enough for me.

Now I’ll be able to fit both fans to the radiator

That’s all the update for now, thanks for checking it out.
-Mos
Old 3rd Oct 2013, 06:01   #3
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Back with another update to this project. Not a big one at this point, but a few more additions.

Took a little field trip with the case, and bought some parts from MNPCTech.
I bought some U-channel to install over the cut edges of the 5.25” bay.
I figured the tubing would benefit from not having sharp edges around.

Nice mitered corners

I then used black pop rivets to reinstall the 5.25” bay.

Next up are a set of MNPCTech black anodized “grooved” billet aluminum case feet.
http://www.mnpctech.com/CaseFeetMachined.html

These will help get the case off the floor a little bit more, and go well with the black and white theme.

After installation, I ran across a small problem. This isn’t going to work for the rear feet, as they’ll hit the PSU.

To lower the clearance on the inside of the case, I picked up some plastic barrel bolts.

That should do the trick.

Now there is just enough clearance for the PSU to sit on the rubber pads.

I also put a few coats of white paint on my thermal armor.

I want it to be primarily white on the inside. It should make it brighter on the inside, once I install some LEDs.

I’m planning on leaving the PCI covers black. I like the contrast it adds to the mix, and I think it helps make the motherboard components not stand out as much, for not being painted white.

That’s all for today

Last edited by Mosquito; 7th Oct 2013 at 19:38.
Old 3rd Oct 2013, 06:42   #4
craig - toyoracer
Supermodder

craig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysis
Nice clean work done so far. The armour in white is very striking, looking good Mos.
Old 5th Oct 2013, 07:21   #5
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Thanks Craig. I really do like the white armor. Would make for a nice factory option too
Old 5th Oct 2013, 08:26   #6
bdigital
Is re-building his PC again

bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.
Another white armour mod! Very nice and welcome to the club

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Check out my Apline White TJ07 - Case Mod and Water cooled build. http://www.flickr.com/photos/6188486...7631486959032/
bdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Oct 2013, 13:59   #7
KoSoVaR^
Professional Sleever & Modder

KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.KoSoVaR^ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
i would love to see some white camo !
KoSoVaR^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Oct 2013, 17:40   #8
mnpctech
bit-tech sponsor

mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.
This is gonna be really nice when it's finished, Mos
Old 7th Oct 2013, 17:57   #9
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdigital View Post
Another white armour mod! Very nice and welcome to the club
Thanks It does look pretty good

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoSoVaR^ View Post
i would love to see some white camo !
That would quite fit my theme, but certainly would be a possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnpctech View Post
This is gonna be really nice when it's finished, Mos
Thanks Bill. I'm hoping it turns out pretty sweet. Putting a bunch of work into this one, with some new ideas
Old 7th Oct 2013, 17:58   #10
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Thanks for all the comments guys :-)

In this update, Iíll be installing the watercooling gear. Iím going to spare you the 90 shots of fittings, blocks, radiators, etc, and just dive in. This is whatís going to be going in it:
XSPC AX240 Radiator (White)
XSPC Raystorm CPU Block
EK 140 Res top with a D5 Vario pump.
Monsoon Fittings and angles with white accents
PrimoChill Advanced LRT tubing, in white

The EK res top kit includes a nice bracket for mounting the assembly to a vertical surface.
I do not have a vertical surface, so I started with this sheet aluminum to make a bracket to mount it on the floor.

I used my workmate, a block of wood, and some clamps to bend this up.

I made a few cuts with tinsnips and drilled some mounting holes to screw into the pump top.

A few test fittings to make sure itíll work.

I painted it with the same white paint that I used on the TUF armor.

I lined it with some of the foam that I salvaged from the side panel.

That should work, nice little contrast continuing on the black and white.

I installed the pump on its new bracket at this point. I had already roughed in the plumbing earlier.

The next thing I did was drill out and install for a drain port on the bottom of the front corner.

At this point I painted the radiator housing, so it would match the case better. The stock XSPC white was not as bright as everything else.

I also painted the top retainer plate from the Raystorm block white as well.

I got everything installed, routed, and ready to leak test.

With bibs ready, time to run the loop for a whileÖ

Now time for the motherboard install :-)

Thatíll do :-)

At first I wasnít sure whether or not I was going to like the white with black accents, but after seeing it, I must say that I quite like it. Itís a lot of white, but just enough black to break it up. What are your thoughts?

Thanks for checking this one out, next up will be the window install process, which Iím looking forward to :-)
Old 7th Oct 2013, 18:20   #11
Comrade Woody
Obsolete

Comrade Woody is definitely a rep cheat.Comrade Woody is definitely a rep cheat.Comrade Woody is definitely a rep cheat.Comrade Woody is definitely a rep cheat.Comrade Woody is definitely a rep cheat.Comrade Woody is definitely a rep cheat.Comrade Woody is definitely a rep cheat.Comrade Woody is definitely a rep cheat.Comrade Woody is definitely a rep cheat.Comrade Woody is definitely a rep cheat.Comrade Woody is definitely a rep cheat.
This is looking really nice, I'm looking forward to seeing more

Good work
Comrade Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Oct 2013, 06:12   #12
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Thanks Comrade Woody. Finishing up some things this week, so hopefully I'll have another update again next week
Old 8th Oct 2013, 08:11   #13
Ace_finland
Multimodder

Ace_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for president
looking good Mosquito! I love white builds! keep up the great work
Ace_finland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Oct 2013, 09:38   #14
Egami
Why is the dremel on fire?

Egami is definitely a rep cheat.Egami is definitely a rep cheat.Egami is definitely a rep cheat.Egami is definitely a rep cheat.Egami is definitely a rep cheat.Egami is definitely a rep cheat.Egami is definitely a rep cheat.Egami is definitely a rep cheat.Egami is definitely a rep cheat.Egami is definitely a rep cheat.Egami is definitely a rep cheat.
Looking way nice! Those monsoon fittings with the white cpu block faceplate really make the build *pop*.
Old 8th Oct 2013, 18:42   #15
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_finland View Post
looking good Mosquito! I love white builds! keep up the great work
Thanks Ace, the white certainly grew on me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egami View Post
Looking way nice! Those monsoon fittings with the white cpu block faceplate really make the build *pop*.
Thanks Egami. I went back and forth on the CPU block faceplate, since it was black to start with, but I decided with the block and fittings already being black, it would look best with a white faceplate. I'm glad I decided on that. I'm quite pleased with the results

Thanks for checking it out guys
Old 14th Oct 2013, 00:05   #16
mnpctech
bit-tech sponsor

mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.
LOVE how clean everything looks so far, another great job Mosquito
Old 14th Oct 2013, 16:42   #17
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Thanks Bill

I'm going to try to get a video edited tonight, and get another update out tonight or tomorrow, keep an eye out for it
Old 14th Oct 2013, 17:14   #18
craig - toyoracer
Supermodder

craig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysis
Nicely made res/pump mount, fits the case look very well.

I too like the white face plate, great overall look.
Old 14th Oct 2013, 18:30   #19
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Thanks Craig!

---

Little tidbit before I hopefully get an update in the next day

I used the computer in an unfinished state this weekend, so I installed the mesh on the bottom.

those MNPCTech Grooved Feet fit perfectly with the stock fan filter
Old 15th Oct 2013, 04:34   #20
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Things were moving right along with this build, and this was actually one of the first things I did to this case, but in the interest of flow, Iíve held off on posting it until this update.

This puppy needs a window!

First I pulled off the sound dampening foam on the condemned side panel.

The tape was annoying to remove. I ended up spraying it down with goof off, letting it soak, and then peeling it off with the help of a razor blade paint scraper.

After getting the tape off, I used goof off, followed by mineral spirits to get the remaining residue off.
(Note, I tried denatured alcohol, and it did not work, mineral spirits, however, did.)

I started in the bottom left cornerÖ I got better as I went along

I masked off the panel with some low tack tape, and then used a monitor bezel to trace out the window.

I didnít take many pictures of this process, as most of it was in video.

I removed the masking, and was pretty happy with the results.
I had one minor miss with the dremel, but that will be covered up by the u-channel.

Looking much better already.

Next up was some MNPCTech U-Channel for the window.

Since I cut the corners square, I did more mitered corners here.

Here we have the cutout for the window completed.

Thatís all for this update. Next time Iíll be installing the custom window in the side panel, and getting some shots of it before I wrap up the few details that are left after that.

As always, thanks for checking it out, and commenting

Tags
h230, liquid, mosquito, nzxt, primochill

View Mode