bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 14th Oct 2013, 09:59   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
D-Link routers contain back-door code, claims researcher

Joel puts a hole in D-Link's security.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...nk-back-door/1
Gareth Halfacree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Oct 2013, 12:05   #2
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
If you reverse the string it says "edit by [...]" rather than "edited by [...]"
Old 14th Oct 2013, 12:09   #3
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Hah! I'd written 'edit' the first time around, then when I was giving the article a final scan-through before publication I automatically corrected the grammar without a second thought. Fixed, ta!
Old 14th Oct 2013, 14:34   #4
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

I've updated the article with a brief comment from D-Link announcing that it will be patching the back-door by the end of the month, which fails to actually address any of the questions raised. I've pressed for clarification.
Old 14th Oct 2013, 14:56   #5
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I'd guess that any modern device, be it a computer, a router or whaterver has a backdoor implemented these days.

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Oct 2013, 14:58   #6
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77 View Post
I'd guess that any modern device, be it a computer, a router or whaterver has a backdoor implemented these days.
Trufax, but there are clever backdoors - "let's stick a cryptographic public key in there, and if our private key knocks open up a hole" - and dumb backdoors - "hey, let's open a hole when someone uses a plaintext string that appears in our easily-analysed and publicly-available firmware files as their user agent. THAT WON'T GO WRONG AT ALL."

(Although, in D-Link's defence, it took a fair few years for anyone to publicise the vulnerability - which isn't to say it hasn't been discovered and exploited by ne'er-do-wells clever enough to keep their new toy quiet in the past, of course.)
Old 14th Oct 2013, 15:37   #7
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
Blimey, that's a pretty embarrassing gaffe for such a major player in the router market these days. Could be very useful for people trying to open up their ISP's routers though.
Old 14th Oct 2013, 22:14   #8
Alecto
Multimodder

Alecto has yet to learn the way of the DremelAlecto has yet to learn the way of the DremelAlecto has yet to learn the way of the DremelAlecto has yet to learn the way of the DremelAlecto has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77
Well there's always the (free) alternative that works with a number of routers (and to be honest, those that are tied down by the manufacturers should be avoided anyway):

http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/build

You can build your own version after auditing the code.
Alecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Oct 2013, 22:49   #9
sp4nky
BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

sp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Funnily enough, I've just taken delivery of a D-Link NAS. It's getting sent back now. Also, power cable was faulty but still, I'm now asking for a full refund instead of a replacement.
Old 16th Oct 2013, 10:56   #10
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

D-Link has responded to my questions with a defence of the back-door code. There are still some outstanding issues to be addressed, however, including its apparent presence in DIR-615 routers - which aren't on the list of devices getting a firmware update it provided this morning.

Tags
back-door, backdoor, craig heffner, d-link, insecurity, network, networking, privacy, router, security, tactical network