bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 25th Oct 2013, 11:01   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.
Microsoft earnings suggest strong Surface growth

Still hasn't covered the write-down.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...rface-growth/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2013, 12:01   #2
blohum
Minimodder

blohum has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I hope that sales do pick up as I really like what they are doing, I for one will be looking for an RT device to replace my Android tablet in the near future... I'll never understand why some people are so anti the fact that RT doesn't run native desktop apps, it's like complaining that iOS devices don't run full MacOS programs.
blohum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2013, 12:06   #3
Archtronics
I *am* a Dremel

Archtronics is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArchtronics is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArchtronics is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArchtronics is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArchtronics is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArchtronics is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArchtronics is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArchtronics is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArchtronics is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArchtronics is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArchtronics is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
They do seem to be gaining sales at work, if they can sort out the App Store they will be laughing.
Archtronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2013, 12:16   #4
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
despite revenue from Windows licences sales to original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) dropping by seven per cent - lower than the expected 15 per cent
Sorry if im being dumb, but im confused
If OEM sales only dropped 7% isn't that better than the expected 15%

Someone please tell me im having a blonde moment

Good to see all those people who said the Surface was over priced have been proved right, Microsoft needed to get the Surface out there and used by people so they can take it for a test drive.
Corky42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2013, 12:21   #5
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky42 View Post
Sorry if im being dumb, but im confused
If OEM sales only dropped 7% isn't that better than the expected 15%
Yes, it is: the article is saying that it's surprising to see revenue growth when one of Microsoft's biggest earners shrank - but points out, as an aside, that the shrinkage was lower than feared.
Old 25th Oct 2013, 13:01   #6
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.
Yea i think i got confused with what i thought was a hyphen between "seven per cent - lower", but after educating my self i think its actually a "En dash"

Either that or its the odd way my brain work (or doesn't)
Old 25th Oct 2013, 13:04   #7
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky42 View Post
Yea i think i got confused with what i thought was a hyphen between "seven per cent - lower", but after educating my self i think its actually a "En dash"
It *should* be an en dash, but with my keyboard lacking an Alt.Gr. key that's a pain to type - so I do the lazy thing 99% of the rest of the t'web does and just use the minus symbol in place of hyphens, en dashes and em dashes. Bad form, I know.
Old 25th Oct 2013, 15:19   #8
SchizoFrog
Hypermodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I am actually impressed by Microsoft's stand and development of their new products. Across the board (Windows, XBox One, Windows Phone and Surface, with the exception of maybe RT which will eventually become combined with WP) they are listening to customers and making relevant changes but there is little or no panic coming from them and certainly no rushing despite various sections of the company losing money right now. Windows Phone is slowly growing and Surface and Windows 8 are also gaining traction. The next year is looking increasingly important for Microsoft as everything comes on line and is due to sync up with the release of XBox One and 8.1 to fully roll out across various platforms.
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
SchizoFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Oct 2013, 20:24   #9
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.
Today I played with some Android tablets. It was interesting how, well, bland they seemed in comparison with a Surface RT. And their Office alternatives really were no patch on the real thing. I think that Windows 8/RT has a lot of potential; let's hope they realise it.

Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Oct 2013, 11:19   #10
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo View Post
Today I played with some Android tablets. It was interesting how, well, bland they seemed in comparison with a Surface RT. And their Office alternatives really were no patch on the real thing. I think that Windows 8/RT has a lot of potential; let's hope they realise it.
Someone who doesnt want to spend much and doesnt need to work in Office on the move will go the Android route. And these are the large majority of users.
Old 27th Oct 2013, 12:48   #11
Corky42
Mod Master

In fact (Warning PDF) a study done by Google showed most tablets get used for checking Email, Playing games, Social networking, and Looking up information. The only times actually creating something came up it showed it was being done by a very small amount of people very rarely.
Old 27th Oct 2013, 17:54   #12
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!

And tablets prices are expected to lower even more.
Quote:
Half of Tablets Will Cost Less Than $100 by 2017 – Report.
Tablet PC Shipment Forecast Lowered for the First Time Since 2011

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mobile/...17_Report.html
How much does Microsoft gets from selling WRT licenses to manufacturers?
Old 28th Oct 2013, 08:14   #13
Snips
I can do dat, giz a job

Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo
Yep, I've known that for a while. At least you actually made the effort to use the alternative not like the rest of the trolls coming into this Microsoft topic to sprout their tales of doom and gloom on something they know nothing about.

P.S. research done by google about the use of google tablets is not an industry wide thorough report on the many uses of tablets. If you can't do something well on an android tablet, it's safe to say it wont get used in that way.
Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Oct 2013, 08:30   #14
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by impar View Post
Greetings!

Someone who doesnt want to spend much and doesnt need to work in Office on the move will go the Android route. And these are the large majority of users.
And yet, as I'm typing this from the 8.10am to London (delayed), I find myself surrounded by suits tapping away on their laptop --using Word and Outlook. Several tethered to charging sockets, by the way, and also toting iPads.

A light-weight, all day battery life tablet laptop hybrid with Office? For some people that makes sense.

Old 28th Oct 2013, 08:38   #15
Corky42
Mod Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips View Post
Yep, I've known that for a while. At least you actually made the effort to use the alternative not like the rest of the trolls coming into this Microsoft topic to sprout their tales of doom and gloom on something they know nothing about.

P.S. research done by google about the use of google tablets is not an industry wide thorough report on the many uses of tablets. If you can't do something well on an android tablet, it's safe to say it wont get used in that way.
Well feel free to provide us all with more up to date relevant research, but good luck with that as the research states...
Quote:
While market research surveys have helped us understand the demo-graphics of tablet ownership and provided early insights into usage, there is little comprehensive research available
And if you had bothered to read the research you would have found that far from being biased toward android based tablets, it was biased towards Apple tablets.
Quote:
73%(24) owned an Apple iPad and 27% (9) owned an Android-based tablet.
Also as far as i can see this thread hadn't degenerated into any "trolling" or people "sprout their tales of doom and gloom" or any anti Microsoft posts. If anything everyone has been positive about the Surface, something you would have seen if you had bothered to actually read something instead of spouting your usual inflammatory posts.
Old 28th Oct 2013, 09:18   #16
Snips
I can do dat, giz a job

Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.
"Good to see all those people who said the Surface was over priced have been proved right"

Gloated troll post if I ever saw one, based on what research? The same is said today of the price of iPads. But then it's defended as a quality product, which then tends to imply that Surface is not. Often said by those who haven't used it.

So did they include Surface tablets in that report then did they? Err, NO. Thorough report on the use of tablets then? Err, NO.

As Nexxo said, they are "bland" and not a patch on WinRT/8 and the real Office.
Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Oct 2013, 09:20   #17
impar
2n-1

Greetings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo View Post
A light-weight, all day battery life tablet laptop hybrid with Office? For some people that makes sense.
For some, sure.
Old 28th Oct 2013, 10:06   #18
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
"Good to see all those people who said the Surface was over priced have been proved right" Gloated troll post if I ever saw one, based on what research?
Based on the fact that a dramatic price cut saw sales more than double? In other words: of the people who owned a Surface tablet by the end of Microsoft's last financial quarter, the majority believed the tablet was overpriced at its original RRP - or they wouldn't have waited for the surprise price-cut to buy one.
Old 28th Oct 2013, 10:14   #19
Corky42
Mod Master

Quote:
"Good to see all those people who said the Surface was over priced have been proved right"

Gloated troll post if I ever saw one, based on what research? The same is said today of the price of iPads. But then it's defended as a quality product, which then tends to imply that Surface is not. Often said by those who haven't used it.

So did they include Surface tablets in that report then did they? Err, NO. Thorough report on the use of tablets then? Err, NO.

As Nexxo said, they are "bland" and not a patch on WinRT/8 and the real Office.
Do you even bother reading anything before you go slinging accusations at people ?

If you had bothered to read the research you would have read it was done in 2010, long before the Surface was released. As i said if you can come up with more up to date and relevant research please do provide us with some other evidence on typical tablet usage.
Old 28th Oct 2013, 10:22   #20
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by impar View Post
For some, sure.
And that is still a substantial market. Something Google has been shooting for with their Chromebook.

The Surface RT was overpriced. The iPad is overpriced, but people will pay a premium for its ecosystem. The Surface RT and Android tablets don't have that asset so they have to be more keenly priced. Android manufacturers certainly know that and compete on price.

Tags
earnings, financial, licensing, microsoft, software, surface, surface 2, surface pro, surface pro 2, surface rt, windows 8, windows rt, write-down