bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 29th Oct 2013, 11:23   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
AMD's desktop Kaveri chips rumoured for February

Paper launch due in December, leak claims.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...eri-february/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2013, 13:55   #2
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
..., which will include univied CPU and GPU address spaces ...
Should be "unified".

Anyways. AMD better have a chip with Kaveri that improves heavily on the singlethreaded CPU-side of things. Otherwise these chips can't compete with the i3 Gen4 from intel.

An powerful iGPU is the last thing that's of any interest for the bulk of PC-software, and the majority of PCs sold isn't ment for gaming to begin with.

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2013, 14:23   #3
GuilleAcoustic
Ook ? Ook !

GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.
so the awaited "end of year launch" was in fact a "paper launch". I really hoped that kaveri would hit shelves in december :'(.

i5 4570 - Asus Z87 Gryphon + Thermal Armor - 8GB - Sandisk Extreme II 240GB - EVGA GTX770 - PC-V353A
GuilleAcoustic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2013, 15:03   #4
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77 View Post
Should be "unified".
Yarp. Fixed, ta!
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2013, 15:08   #5
azazel1024
Supermodder

azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Estimate is a 10% improvement in IPC, so big improvement in single thread no.

Since it isn't going to be a new process either (as far as I know), no promises of improved power consumption (maybe worse, depending on what they did to get that 10% IPC improvement) and likely no higher clock speeds.

This is moving the markers a yard, not a whole knew down.

Granted, the last couple of releases Intel hasn't done much to improve their processors CPU performance much, other then some edge cases (TSX, some new instruction sets)...but I will grant that Intel has increased GPU performance on chip from Sandy to Haswell of roughly 200-500% depending on which version of the graphics you are comparing.

AMD in the same time period I think has increased graphical performance something like 30-50%. Sure, AMD had been way ahead to start with...but there are a large number of Intel GPU solutions that are FASTER than AMD in the same power envelope. About the only area AMD is still generally pretty far ahead is most desktop graphics (and then only if you are comparing against the "common" HD4600 in most socketed Intel solutions). Mobile, Intel seems to generally be ahead by a little to a lot in the same thermal envelope.

Things do not look good for AMD.

I do hope Intel improves on the CPU side of things a fair amount with Broadwell, even if it is ONLY higher turbocore speeds and base clocks and not much IPC improvements. With a supposed 30+% improvement in power consumption, they could use a bit more dynamic setup. It'd be a shame if they funneled all of that in to a lower TDP and nothing in to increased performance (Crap, Haswell laptops, if done right, can already get 8-10hrs of battery life, which should be good enough for most everyone. Instead of a lower TDP, how about improved graphics and maybe tweak the base and turbocore speeds 100/300Mhz respectively?)

AMD needs a new process and possibly a new design. Badly.
Old 29th Oct 2013, 15:56   #6
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
This a process shrink from AMD? If so could be intresting. If not how are they getting the figures?
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2013, 16:34   #7
play_boy_2000
Ultramodder

play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Wikipedia says that steamroller min process size is 28nm. I've never seen a cpu manufactured on a half node, but it looks like that may be the route AMD takes from now on with Excavator supposidly a half node 20nm part too?
Asus P8P67
Patriot Wildfire 120GB SSD + 1TB x6 (4.54TB formatted) Raid5 on RocketRaid 2680
play_boy_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2013, 20:24   #8
Locknload
Multimodder

Locknload has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77
Quote:
Should be "unified".

Anyways. AMD better have a chip with Kaveri that improves heavily on the singlethreaded CPU-side of things. Otherwise these chips can't compete with the i3 Gen4 from intel.

An powerful iGPU is the last thing that's of any interest for the bulk of PC-software, and the majority of PCs sold isn't ment for gaming to begin with.
Locknload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2013, 20:30   #9
Locknload
Multimodder

Locknload has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77
Quote:
Should be "unified".

A powerful iGPU is the last thing that will be of any interest for the bulk of PC-software, and the majority of PC's sold are not meant for gaming to begin with.
Your welcome.

(Spell and Grammar check are your friends).

Pedantic-ism is no one's friend. LOL
Locknload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Nov 2013, 02:02   #10
campdude
What's a Dremel?

campdude has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Would like an AM3+ steamroller.
campdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accelerated processing, amd, apu, arm, cortex-a5, cpu, desktop cpu, gcn, hsa, jaguar, kaveri, paper launch, playstation 4, steamroller, xbox one