bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 31st Oct 2013, 10:54   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
AMD Radeon R9 290 boards hit by last-minute delay

Non-X model launch shifted by a week.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...r9-290-delay/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Oct 2013, 13:15   #2
fingerbob69
Hypermodder

fingerbob69 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfingerbob69 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"Press who have already tested the card under the old drivers and planned to publish their reviews today are, naturally, now likely to release updated reviews using the new drivers on the 5th of November instead - although, as said press are held under NDA, nobody will be saying that out-loud just yet."

Although, of course, you kinda just have. lol
Antec 902, Asus P6T se, i7-920 D0 oc@3.6ghz, Asaka Nero S, 6gb Corsair, Thermaltake 750w Evo Blue, XFX 4890 + Artic Twin Turbo Pro, Asus Xonar DS, BFG Ageia PhysX, 2x 500gb Seagate HDD, Win7 hp, NEC ea231wmi, MS X4, Cordless Mouseman optical(deceased)..now a Roccat Kova+
fingerbob69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Oct 2013, 14:43   #3
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
I'm surprised this card would encounter driver issues at all. Isn't it basically just a slightly weaker version of the 290X?

Due to temperature moderation, it wouldn't surprise me if the 290X actually down-clocks itself to the about same speed as the 290, so unless you have a reliable cooling system, I'm sure the 290 would be the better value.
schmidtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Oct 2013, 17:18   #4
The_Crapman
MD of M.Z.A. Inc and Weasel Pimp

The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.
This is probably to try and throttle the card back a bit to improve temps after the reaction they got from the 290X. Would be really interesting to see benchmarks comparing the 2 drivers to see what's been tweaked.

How to Get a FREE (sort of) Hard Drive and Other Small Parts
The_Crapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Oct 2013, 18:17   #5
somidiot
Modder

somidiot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well the problem I see is that newegg has no stock of the 290X. Are there any places that have stock? I will say that It's nice to see the Nvidia price drop happen, those cards are still in stock at least. I'll still probably wait for the next gen though.
somidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Oct 2013, 18:24   #6
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by somidiot View Post
Well the problem I see is that newegg has no stock of the 290X. Are there any places that have stock? I will say that It's nice to see the Nvidia price drop happen, those cards are still in stock at least. I'll still probably wait for the next gen though.
ebay has a few in stock, though the only ones that aren't ridiculously priced are bids.
schmidtbag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amd, amd radeon, catalyst, delay, r9 290, r9 290x, radeon r9, radeon r9 290, radeon r9 290x