1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding CAD for dummies

Discussion in 'Modding' started by dslrennwagen, 25 Feb 2003.

1. dslrennwagen

dslrennwagen What's a Dremel?

does anyone have any ideas of what i could use to model case ideas effectivley and clearly. I tried maya PLE. but i dont really need it THAT bad that i would spend that much time on learning complex software. as i am a student (and a n3wb) sharewres/freewares would be good.

btw, i know the obvious answers would be be pen and pencil, but i might as well just continue seeing in my head since i cant draw to save my life. either way, i'll hopefully build it in a project log starting sometime late june/early july.

thanks folks

dslrennwagen

w00t for first post

2. linear

linear Minimodder

Hi, welcome to the boards. I'm a pencil and paper technology guy myself, but I think Rhino3D is a free prog that a lot of people like.

And in case you haven't found this yet: http://www.formfactors.org/

3. dslrennwagen

thanks

thanks linear, i actually allready had formfactors bookmarked from pickign through most of bit-tech. and on a side note, i really like your avatar, thats actually what my case should end-up looking like.

i'll let you know how rhino works out

dslrennwagen

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

What you want is a program called Sketchup 3D; download a free trial :here:. It is designed to allow you to CAD stuff very intuitively and easily, like... er... a sketch.

It can do stuff like this:

[​IMG]

and this:

[​IMG]

(pics courtesy of Dutchcedar at the AthlonXP Forum: Modding)

5. dslrennwagen

:)

superb, thanks a lot

6. eaterofpies

eaterofpies What's a Dremel?

is there any software that will produce a net from a 3d drawing we had some on acorns at secondery school that ruled (unfortunately i was the only one who ever worked out how to use it so they dumped it) but i did a well funky x-wing on it with quite high detail too :) then made it from sheet metal from printed out nets . . . the school wouldnt let me have it tho :(