bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 3rd Dec 2013, 10:43   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.
Dell announces UltraSharp Ultra HD monitor range

High-res displays now official.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...ell-ultra-hd/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2013, 10:51   #2
Horizon
Dremel Worthy

Horizon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
16:10, then we'll talk.
Old 3rd Dec 2013, 10:54   #3
Maki role
Dale you're on a roll...

Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.
That "budget" one sounds like a great option. I've been meaning to grab a monitor upgrade for quite a while, this hits the spot nicely.
Maki role is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2013, 12:33   #4
the_kille4
Chaos will rule da world.eventually

the_kille4 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
There's a typo and misinformation in the article. First of all the size of the smallest screen is 23.8 inches. Also the 28 inch model is a P series so that is why it's alot cheaper than the smaller ultrasharp.
Speakers: Ceed 682F (Front) | Q Acoustics 2010i (Side) | Q Acoustics 1010i (Rear) | Q Acoustics 1000Ci (Center) | Q Acoustics 1000Si (Sub)
the_kille4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2013, 13:16   #5
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_kille4 View Post
There's a typo and misinformation in the article. First of all the size of the smallest screen is 23.8 inches..
If there's a typo, it's not on my part. I quote Dell's official press release as emailed, which you can verify against Business Wire's published copy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dell
With the same remarkable, pin-point clarity, the Dell UltraSharp 24 Ultra HD Monitor, users can enjoy color consistency and precision from virtually any angle thanks to an ultra-wide viewing angle on a 28.3-inch screen.
However, I note that Dell has now corrected the release - so I'll go update the article. Thanks for the heads-up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_kille4 View Post
Also the 28 inch model is a P series so that is why it's alot cheaper than the smaller ultrasharp.
It's a P-series rather than UP-series, yes, but it's still an UltraSharp: its official name, as stated in the article and confirmed in the updated press release, is the UltraSharp 28 Ultra HD Monitor.

Last edited by Gareth Halfacree; 3rd Dec 2013 at 13:21.
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2013, 14:12   #6
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon
16:10, then we'll talk.
LOL. Still rocking it like it's 2006 I see.

I have a 16:10 screen that's about a 26" but it came with an additional 256px on the horizontal so I've not lost any working space just gained a bit left and right. It's 99% a work machine so lots of working space is great, but it also means it's stretched ratio fits media perfectly.

The other two screens in my three screen setup are unfortunately just 16:10 rather than being horizontally extended so they have a little less working space. Never mind, one of them is up on end anyway...

10:16 now that's a lovely aspect ratio!
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2013, 14:15   #7
Shirty
"It's old Shirty!"

Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.
1:1 is the new 16:10
Old 3rd Dec 2013, 14:57   #8
GeorgeStorm
Aggressive PC Builder

GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.
Don't really see the attraction of these personally, but I haven't seen a 4k screen in real life so who knows maybe it will click.

Also 16:10 is a nicer looking ratio to me (regardless of how good or bad it is for work or whatever else). Had my U27 for a while now and I still think it looks a bit thin.
Old 3rd Dec 2013, 16:03   #9
SchizoFrog
Hypermodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Am I right in thinking that with a 4k resolution everything is much smaller and so you need to resize things to make them bigger and unless your software supports 4k would it not all look a lot more pixellated and blocky? Or does software such as MS Office scale up nicely?
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
SchizoFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2013, 16:35   #10
CampGareth
Minimodder

CampGareth has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog View Post
Am I right in thinking that with a 4k resolution everything is much smaller and so you need to resize things to make them bigger and unless your software supports 4k would it not all look a lot more pixellated and blocky? Or does software such as MS Office scale up nicely?
Roughly speaking yes, what you're describing is the effect of having a high DPI monitor. Most cinemas are showing films in 4K just fyi and text there is fine because the screen is so huge and thus the DPI value is low.

4K at 24" is a bit too small for me, the 28" model sounds ideal though as 32" is massively expensive and I don't want to go for anything smaller than my current 27", the dpi value would still be pretty high at about 160 (equivalent to 1080p on a 13.3" laptop).

As for scaling, that's a trickier thing, some programs when upscaled lose all sense of formatting, others are fine and text just looks smoother, if it's just enlarging then you won't notice a difference between your current monitor and this one (it's not 640x480 so pixellation might be more noticeable, but say 1920x1080 on this screen... will just make it look pretty much like a native 1080p screen)
CampGareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2013, 20:07   #11
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
4K monitors were to be expected, as the 4K TV's are out and are this christmasses "great innovation" for TV's.

I understand 4K for a computer monitor, but not for a TV though...
For a TV, there's no content. Hell there's hardly any content for a 1080 TV, most TV-stations use 720.
Best chance is a BluRay, but hardly anyone uses it, and they're limited to 1080 as well.

Most Cinema's are showing 2K btw...at least in Germany.
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2013, 21:35   #12
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
We're getting 21:9 monitors in the office. Now that's wide! It's like running dual monitor but without the centre bezels!
Old 3rd Dec 2013, 22:48   #13
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.
Cool, we have to run GPUs in SLI again to use a monitor that is larger than 20". Just like the good ol' days of 2000.

Nexxo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2013, 23:32   #14
CampGareth
Minimodder

CampGareth has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xir View Post

Most Cinema's are showing 2K btw...at least in Germany.
So that's 2048 wide or near enough... they really show 1920x1080 films? Wow, front row can't be pretty...
CampGareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2013, 23:35   #15
Anfield
Supermodder

Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo View Post
Cool, we have to run GPUs in SLI again to use a monitor that is larger than 20". Just like the good ol' days of 2000.
Give amd and nvidia one year and we will be right back to one gpu is sufficient for one monitor.
Hopefully by then the monitors will have seen some pricedrops.
Anfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2013, 23:35   #16
Anfield
Supermodder

Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
bleh double posted by accident.
Anfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Dec 2013, 01:21   #17
Star*Dagger
Pan-Galactic Revolutionary

Star*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for president
Oh brother. Films on actual film do not have a resolution, only when it is digitized does the engineer make a decision what resolution to step it down to.

Digital films are usually filmed at an ultra ultra high resolution and then, again, converted down to Low-Res like HD standards.

In any case I am looking forward to screens of this resolution. Maybe some of the negative nancies will realize that 1920x1080 is a pathetic and low resolution.
4k can not come soon enough.

3 of this 32 inch monitors sounds like a winner, along with 3 of the hottest GPUs available at the time.

Your in Visual Acuity Plasma,
Star*Dagger

Last edited by Star*Dagger; 6th Dec 2013 at 23:37. Reason: More excellence
Star*Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Dec 2013, 01:24   #18
Star*Dagger
Pan-Galactic Revolutionary

Star*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for president
Quadrupling the resolution is a nice start, having 3 of these bad boys is where its at!

S*D
Star*Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Dec 2013, 02:18   #19
Gradius
IT Consultant

Gradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for president
16:10 will *NOT* happens on 4K.
Gradius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Dec 2013, 04:04   #20
erratum1
Needs a new avatar !

erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.
It's about time to be honest this could make 2560x1600 cheaper as it's not the top dog anymore.

Not sure I would want to rock a 4k screen the cost of always having to get the latest sli gpu's to play games which lets be honest sometimes they are really not that great.
erratum1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4k, dell ultrasharp, displayport, hdmi, mini displayport, monitor, ultra hd, ultra high definition, ultrasharp, ultrasharp 24 ultra hd, ultrasharp 28 ultra hd, ultrasharp 32 ultra hd