1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft patches critical TIFF zero-day

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 6 Dec 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

If you are using XP you deserve to have your computer explode, every day. Twice on Sunday.

3. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Why, because people feel like they shouldn't have to pay money for features they don't need just because the company that produced the software in the first place has decided to quit fixing the problems that people are STILL discovering all these years later.

If anyone deserves to have their computers explode it's Microsoft for releasing crappy products in the first place and then using their refusal to fix the problems in those products as a way to force people to buy more crappy, bug infested products.

4. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

That's a silly statement to make Star Dagger - I reverted one of my ultraportable laptops back to XP last week with an old backup image on a new SSD and it runs just as well as it has done with Win7 Home Premium for the past 3 years, and 3 of our standalone "presenter" PCs in school run XP Pro from SSDs as well, all of them flawlessly.

Just because Microsoft are no longer making money from sales of XP but are still having to spend money on it with a developer team writing hotfixes and security updates for it doesn't mean they should be able to pull the plug on an operating system which is still popular and in use all around the world today.

5. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Windows xp. :D

You have to evolve windows xp had a good run but a company can't just stagnate.

What was wrong with caves why do we need houses? Light a fire they are very cosey and hitting a girl with a club sounds far easier than all this dating malarkey.

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Some would say every OS Microsoft have release since XP is a step backwards, stagnation is fine if what comes after is devolution. At least a cave wont take 25 years of your life away, and some people like a natural fire versus some gas fed monstrosity. Newer doesn't always equal better.

7. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

XP still has it's uses, only way I could get Splinter Cell Chaos Theory to run was on XP tried all the suggested workarounds for win7 but no joy so installed XP on a spare PC and played it, it's something to do with the protection used on Chaos Theory no way would it run on win7 :grr:

8. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

As much as I feel people should of course get off XP and onto more modern operating systems, I think it is criminal to abandon an operating system with > 30% of the desktop & laptop marketshare. I have elderly grandparents who have older machines that run XP and it is fine for their needs. They haven't a great deal of spare money or ability to learn new things and I'm expected to tell them they have to relearn a new OS/ buy a new pc because microsoft want to shift people onto their newer products.

Surely someone there should point out that perhaps the reason those people haven't upgraded is because they've seen nothing in the new OS that justifies the upgrade? Surely the fairer way to do it is to support the OS' with the highest percentages of market share... In which case Win8 should be put to bed...

9. Star*Dagger

Defenders of XP, only on Brit-Tech (sic).

KILL IT WITH PLASMA FIRE!!

10. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

Some would say XP was a step back from Windows 2000.
    Which happens to be the last Windows I like unconditionally. Everything after it is "Well, I like this, but wish they hadn't done that."

And some would say it's all downhill since we left MS-DOS, but some people are crazy. :p

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Bah. Microsoft BASIC or GTFO.

12. Star*Dagger

:clap::clap::rock:

Well said, I have always found the Neo-Luddite gene particularly hilarious in people who use computer regularly.

Change is the only Constant people!!

Yours in Ever changing Cyber Plasma,
    Star*Dagger

13. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I would say XP / Win 2K, collectively anyway, were the high water mark of the series. They represented a significant improvement over Win 3.x / ME, and everything that has come since then has been small appearance upgrades that added little or nothing to functionality.

Certainly the improvements that have come since then could have been added to XP without changing the GUI.

There are lots of very old programs that I and other still use because they work and we're used to them. The only reason people "need" to upgrade from XP is that it was full of problems when it was made and now Microsoft are going to quit fixing those problems as they are discovered. The problems are not new, they have been in the software since the day it was released. IF windows wasn't so insecure and buggy there would be no reason to ever upgrade.

14. Gareth Halfacree

Wait... You thought I was being sarcastic? :hehe:

15. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Bah, only reason I updated from 2k was for sli, still wish I'd never updated from xp to win8...

16. Star*Dagger

Wait, in one sentence you contradict yourself, SLI is for gamers, and DX11 is not available on XP, never will be.

So WTF?

17. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

You didn't ask when, time is also ways the important issue. I upgraded from 2k in 2k6 when my single 6600 became inadequate and I a got another cheap one. I now run Win8 (by accident) and haven’t played a single DX11 game, most are still DX9 so what exactly is your point??