bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 12th Dec 2013, 09:27   #1
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
Intel NUC D54250WYK / D54250WYB Review

The new Haswell version of Intel NUC is better than ever.
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpu...50wyb-review/1
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Dec 2013, 10:58   #2
Stanley Tweedle
Ultramodder

Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
It's not April 1st yet so why is this thing featured?

£295 is comical of course and that's the reason I'm not falling for this prank.

The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

Stanley Tweedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Dec 2013, 11:31   #3
Blackshark
Multimodder

Blackshark has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
295 for the i7 variety they mentioned - would be more on par
Blackshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Dec 2013, 12:08   #4
SchizoFrog
Hypermodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Can I ask why it is that you use completely different rating categories and scores between the magazine and the website? Which then led me to check another article for comparison sake and I found that the R9 290X has the same rating categories and score break downs but the same card scored differently between the magazine and the website. So why the inconsistency?
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
SchizoFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Dec 2013, 12:08   #5
GuilleAcoustic
Ook ? Ook !

GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.
I'm really disapointed by the Intel HD5000.

i5 4570 - Asus Z87 Gryphon + Thermal Armor - 8GB - Sandisk Extreme II 240GB - EVGA GTX770 - PC-V353A
GuilleAcoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Dec 2013, 13:34   #6
Baz
I work for Corsair

Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Who gives a NUC?

Really don't see the appeal of these sub-Mini-ITX form factors. Why not just buy an AIO?
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Dec 2013, 15:09   #7
Maki role
Dale you're on a roll...

Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.
I must say I'm loving my NUC, using it as a media PC down in the living room. Can't stand those normal "media boxes" that fit even an ITX mobo, they're simply hideous. Having such a tiny form factor allows for some really interesting case designs, so I can have it on show, without it taking up the whole room like a normal tower of sorts.

I'll admit that they are definitely on the pricey side of things though. The thing is, you can't really grasp how small the NUCs are until you actually hold one, they're minuscule. I'm building an ITX rig atm and it dwarfs the NUC, and that's just through the motherboard size.
Maki role is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Dec 2013, 18:12   #8
Stanley Tweedle
Ultramodder

Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maki role
I must say I'm loving my NUC, using it as a media PC down in the living room. Can't stand those normal "media boxes" that fit even an ITX mobo, they're simply hideous. Having such a tiny form factor allows for some really interesting case designs, so I can have it on show, without it taking up the whole room like a normal tower of sorts.

I'll admit that they are definitely on the pricey side of things though. The thing is, you can't really grasp how small the NUCs are until you actually hold one, they're minuscule. I'm building an ITX rig atm and it dwarfs the NUC, and that's just through the motherboard size.
I've seen some really nice ITX cases.

Of course nice is subjective to some extent.

Stanley Tweedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Dec 2013, 00:53   #9
Bede
Ultramodder

Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Streacom have got a nice fanless case for this. Sometime in the new year I'm getting this, or the i3 version, a fanless case and putting XBMC on it. Small, silent, lower-powered and good enough for very smooth service as an HTPC.

I'd be very interested to see what happens when the Intel 5000 graphics are pared with a CPU clocked at over 3GHz, I reckon it'll be an AMD-breaker.
Coolermaster 690 II Advanced (white edition) | i5-2500K | MSI P67-GD53 | MSI GTX580 | 16gb Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 1.5V | Gelid Tranquillo | Asus Xonar DS | 700W Coolermaster Silent Pro M | Corsair Force Series 3 60GB | Crucial M4 128GB | Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Bede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Dec 2013, 08:28   #10
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maki role View Post

The only problem with NUCs as HTPC is that there is nowhere to plug a tuner card...

Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Dec 2013, 10:00   #11
SchizoFrog
Hypermodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maki role View Post

The only problem with NUCs as HTPC is that there is nowhere to plug a tuner card...
That kind of thinking is the start of a whole heap of issues and is a little conservative to ever say 'The only...' as the solution to your particular issue is a USB tuner card. I am still totally confused by the lack of a suitable discussions resolution to the issue on sound. So many people talk about on board sound being awful and yet you can not use a dedicated sound device (unless you go USB) for anything smaller than mATX and even with mATX you are then limited to only the sound card and can add nothing else. I really wish this issue regarding sound can be discussed completely and thoroughly as there seems to be no clear line of thinking.
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
SchizoFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Dec 2013, 08:17   #12
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.
Who wants a USB dongle hanging off the back of a compact little case? Good point about the sound --I wonder if another standalone device would be a solution. There could be stackable modules, starting with the NUC PC and adding tuner, sound and other modules.

Old 16th Dec 2013, 08:38   #13
chimaera
Multimodder

chimaera has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Speaking purely personally part of the appeal of HTPCs is the idea of centralising the back-end services to allow deploying multiple clients around the house (Lounge, office, bedroom etc).

So my ideal would be to have a simple XBMC terminal under each screen I needed to deliver services to and have the central database and storage elsewhere. To that I would add a MythTV backend or two to hand TV services and serve them to the client.

But that's just what I'd do

And from that point of view these boxes are pretty much ideal - a little on the pricey side and I'd probably want to look at buying the MB rather than the kit and getting one of the passive-cool cases to eliminate noise entirely.

One quick question - I know the upcoming version of XBMC (Gotham) supports full-size SBS 3D video (ie 3840 x 1080) - anyone know if these boxes can handle playback of these files?

(Bearing in mind that SBS is a lot harder on the hardware than BR3D playback)
chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Dec 2013, 10:46   #14
GuilleAcoustic
Ook ? Ook !

GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo View Post
Who wants a USB dongle hanging off the back of a compact little case? Good point about the sound --I wonder if another standalone device would be a solution. There could be stackable modules, starting with the NUC PC and adding tuner, sound and other modules.
I've been working on a concept 2 years ago, but never built it (as always) :

It was based on thin mini ITX motherboard, but with the NUC it could be reduced a lot .... maybe not the amp side though

Last edited by GuilleAcoustic; 16th Dec 2013 at 10:57.
Old 16th Dec 2013, 13:40   #15
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Ooh, yeah. Now that's what I'm talking about!

Old 16th Dec 2013, 13:45   #16
jinq-sea
"Sammy Two Tongs"

jinq-sea is definitely a rep cheat.jinq-sea is definitely a rep cheat.jinq-sea is definitely a rep cheat.jinq-sea is definitely a rep cheat.jinq-sea is definitely a rep cheat.jinq-sea is definitely a rep cheat.jinq-sea is definitely a rep cheat.jinq-sea is definitely a rep cheat.jinq-sea is definitely a rep cheat.jinq-sea is definitely a rep cheat.jinq-sea is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
http://dvblogic.com/en/

That's my solution to this particular conundrum. It's great.

DK1087 w/Browns - G80-3494 w/Clears - K60 Mini w/Blues - KBT Oni w/Blue stems & Clear springs
jinq-sea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Dec 2013, 14:06   #17
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
The new NUC, allthough it misses a PCIe x1/x2 for a tuner, is still the best solution for a HTPC imho, especially now as they've added a SATA-port.

Sound is done via USB-DAC and as most new TVs have triple-tuners anyways, there's no reason for a TV-tuner anymore, if you don't plan on recording TV-shows, which I don't.

The new NUC isn't cheap, especially compared to a mITX D2550/E350 board, but the size makes it very attractive, aswell as the more powerful CPU and the integrated IR-sensor in comparison to the two mentioned.

Oh, and Guille... look at this interesting piece of hardware and it's dimensions -> http://www.thomann.de/fi/teac_a_h01_b.htm
Build a matching box for a mITX-board and voilŠ

Stop using social networks and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Dec 2013, 14:06   #18
RedFlames
Bringer of Meh

RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.RedFlames is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Who wants a USB dongle hanging off the back of a compact little case?
Oh ye of little faith and imagination. The board has has a USB2 header, surely someone of the modding inclination could incorporate the tuner dongle into a custom case... likewise a USB DAC could be hooked up to the other header port for sound...

RedFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Dec 2013, 14:37   #19
GuilleAcoustic
Ook ? Ook !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77 View Post
Oh, and Guille... look at this interesting piece of hardware and it's dimensions -> http://www.thomann.de/fi/teac_a_h01_b.htm
Build a matching box for a mITX-board and voilŠ
Very interesting, but I'm more into things like this (too bad that it is smaller than the Streacom F1C) :

http://www.streacom.com/products/tl1-tube-amplifier/

But with it's 2x 2.5W it's only for ultra efficient speakers (97db and above I'd say)
Old 17th Dec 2013, 18:44   #20
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFlames View Post
Oh ye of little faith and imagination. The board has has a USB2 header, surely someone of the modding inclination could incorporate the tuner dongle into a custom case... likewise a USB DAC could be hooked up to the other header port for sound...
I am ashamed.