bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 13th Dec 2013, 10:05   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.
Oculus Rift scores $75M in funding

Virtual reality company now cash-rich.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...rift-funding/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Dec 2013, 11:00   #2
Parge
Bit-Sec

Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.
They took this money because they are gearing up for production of the consumer version.

Apparently, Andreessen Horowitz had been following them closely and upon seeing the newest version of the hardware they jumped in as it had solved almost all the issues that the dev version suffered.

Iím very, very excited.
Old 13th Dec 2013, 13:31   #3
DriftCarl
Supermodder

DriftCarl has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
when can I give them all my money?
DriftCarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Dec 2013, 16:34   #4
Skiddywinks
Hypermodder

Skiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the DremelSkiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I can't wait for this to come out.
Skiddywinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Dec 2013, 18:04   #5
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
I really hope that once Oculus Rift and other VR products get refined, the next gen consoles will be focused on them. We're getting to the point where graphics are as real looking as they can get, so the next step is making it feel like you're actually in the game. I think something like Kinect along with OR would make a pretty nice combo.
schmidtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Dec 2013, 18:44   #6
greypilgers
Supermodder

greypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysis
I can see where this will all end. In tears.

We'll have life-like graphics.
Peerless quality sound effects.
Amazingly fast computers.
Incredible virtual reality headsets.
3d cameras pin pointing our every move for accurate translation to the player-model.

And houses that aren't big enough to cope with all these gamers swinging their arms, legs and whatever else about... Banging into each other, tables, sofas, dogs, parents, kids, etc...

It'll all end in tears...

Bungletron, I salute you!
greypilgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Dec 2013, 18:54   #7
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by greypilgers View Post
I can see where this will all end. In tears.

We'll have life-like graphics.
Peerless quality sound effects.
Amazingly fast computers.
Incredible virtual reality headsets.
3d cameras pin pointing our every move for accurate translation to the player-model.

And houses that aren't big enough to cope with all these gamers swinging their arms, legs and whatever else about... Banging into each other, tables, sofas, dogs, parents, kids, etc...

It'll all end in tears...

Well when you have the option to have a virtual world, there could be a point where people move into a house with nothing but kitchen supplies, a bed, a couch, a phone, an alarm clock, and a computer just sitting on the floor with their VR system. Eventually, all your real world objects could become obsolete.
schmidtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Dec 2013, 19:12   #8
defined
Botch-Job

defined is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.defined is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.defined is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.defined is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.defined is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.defined is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.defined is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.defined is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.defined is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.defined is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.defined is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Me wants the computer setup from The Lawnmower man
defined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Dec 2013, 20:31   #9
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.
"Hey, are we still in the game?" --Existenz

Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Dec 2013, 23:38   #10
asura
jack of all trades

asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.
Nexxo, I was concerned that when you hung up your modhood your posting rate would petter out and the quality would dwindle. But time after time you pull out these little gems; haven't seen that film in years!

Quick, to the DVD purchasing emporium!

And remember, "Your plug is your friend." -Existenz
asura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2013, 00:21   #11
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by defined
Me wants the computer setup from The Lawnmower man
Because that worked out so well for Jobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobe
By the year 2001, there won't be a person on this planet who isn't hooked into it, and hooked into me.
Actually it seems to me that Jobe just turned himself into friggin' google. Could have been worse I guess.

Last edited by Guinevere; 14th Dec 2013 at 00:47.
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2013, 08:25   #12
N17 dizzi
Packet of mints and a Phillips head

N17 dizzi is definitely a rep cheat.N17 dizzi is definitely a rep cheat.N17 dizzi is definitely a rep cheat.N17 dizzi is definitely a rep cheat.N17 dizzi is definitely a rep cheat.N17 dizzi is definitely a rep cheat.N17 dizzi is definitely a rep cheat.N17 dizzi is definitely a rep cheat.N17 dizzi is definitely a rep cheat.N17 dizzi is definitely a rep cheat.N17 dizzi is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
Well when you have the option to have a virtual world, there could be a point where people move into a house with nothing but kitchen supplies, a bed, a couch, a phone, an alarm clock, and a computer just sitting on the floor with their VR system. Eventually, all your real world objects could become obsolete.
All we really need is some sort of capsule, with our vital organs being fed intravenously. Although, we would need a hyper intelligent A.I. system to help monitor everything.
Main: Silverstone PS07B | Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.7 1.3v | Arctic Freezer i30 | Geforce GTX 780 Ti 3GB | Asus Maximus V Gene | Patriot Viper 8GB 2133Mhz | Crucial M4 256GB | Corsair AX860 | Dell U2412M | Qpad 3202 | Corsair M60 |
N17 dizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2013, 08:47   #13
technogiant
Supermodder

technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N17 dizzi
All we really need is some sort of capsule, with our vital organs being fed intravenously. Although, we would need a hyper intelligent A.I. system to help monitor everything.
Nah...pizza delivery will do for me.
technogiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2013, 08:51   #14
Corky42
I *am* a Dremel

Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N17 dizzi View Post
Isn't that the job of the NSA and GCHQ ?
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2013, 23:04   #15
Star*Dagger
Pan-Galactic Revolutionary

Star*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for president
John Carmack, that's all they needed to say. John is a God of Gaming and basically invented 3d graphics on the PC Gaming side of things. Now he is poised to break another barrier. The Future is in Good hands, Carmack, Newell and Taylor

Yours in 3 Gods Plasma,
Star*Dagger
Star*Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2013, 23:54   #16
thom804
Multimodder

thom804 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Anything that isolates further social interaction can only be a good thing, right?
Asus P67 Sabertooth // Intel 2500k @4.6ghz // 8gb Corsair Vengeance @1600 // Asus 6970 2GB Direct CU // 60GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD // 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 HDD // Gelid Tranquillo // Corsair HX 750w PSU // Silverstone FT02B-W
thom804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Dec 2013, 12:32   #17
AlienwareAndy
Alien Core Whore

AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star*Dagger View Post
John Carmack, that's all they needed to say. John is a God of Gaming and basically invented 3d graphics on the PC Gaming side of things. Now he is poised to break another barrier. The Future is in Good hands, Carmack, Newell and Taylor

Yours in 3 Gods Plasma,
Star*Dagger
You say that but Doom 3 and RAGE were pretty stinky. Oh OK, so I'm being a bit harsh on RAGE and I really should have played it more but Doom 3 was balls.
I've never seen a modder that makes things so difficult for themselves, if there is anyone that can take totally incompatible parts and beat them into submission until they work together, it has to be you
AlienwareAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Dec 2013, 17:01   #18
Stanley Tweedle
Ultramodder

Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
John Carmack was more committed to his rocket engine development than games after a while. Doom was amazing. Doom 3 was nice visually and the scariest game I've played but it was upstaged by the vastly superior half life 2. Rage is pretty but nothing special. Rumor is that now Oculus is coming in a big way, Doom 4 has been pushed forward to a 2025 release date. I'm guessing they intend to release it before it's really finished since the original release date for the game was 2029.

Oculus would really make Doom 4 but lets be honest.... there are plenty of worthy games already out there that will be even better with Oculus.

The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.
Stanley Tweedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Dec 2013, 20:41   #19
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asura View Post
Nexxo, I was concerned that when you hung up your modhood your posting rate would petter out and the quality would dwindle. But time after time you pull out these little gems; haven't seen that film in years!

Quick, to the DVD purchasing emporium!

And remember, "Your plug is your friend." -Existenz
I think my posts feel better since I hung up modhood. I'm not such a grumpy git anymore and can focus on being a geek again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post
Actually it seems to me that Jobe just turned himself into friggin' google. Could have been worse I guess.
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by N17 dizzi View Post
Erm... like this?

Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
andreessen horowitz, brendan iribe, funding, investment, john carmack, marc andreessen, oculus rift, virtual reality, virtuix omni, vr