bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 14th Dec 2013, 13:42   #1
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
SteamOS beta download now available

Valve has made a beta of SteamOS available for download.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...ow-available/1
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2013, 14:00   #2
Gigglebyte
:3

Gigglebyte has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Very exciting indeed, looking forward to dual booting this on a couple of machines later to take it for a spin!
Gigglebyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2013, 16:29   #3
Narishma
Multimodder

Narishma has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigglebyte
Very exciting indeed, looking forward to dual booting this on a couple of machines later to take it for a spin!
You can't dual-boot it for the moment.
Narishma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2013, 16:48   #4
erratum1
Banned

erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.
It's interesting does cutting out windows do anything for performance?

As I don't play many games these days don't think i'll be turning my pc into a gaming machine.
erratum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2013, 17:58   #5
Cthippo
Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Cthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narishma View Post
See, that's kind of the point. It's linux, YES YOU CAN dual boot it, you might just have to put in a little more effort to find the dual boot program and set it up properly. Linux doesn't limit what you can do, it just might not support it out of the box.

In this case (IIRC) you install Windows, install Gparted, and then install linux. The computer boots into Gparted and then asks you what actual OS you want to boot into. The functionality is there, it's just not always the easiest to figure out.
Old 14th Dec 2013, 18:24   #6
Glix
Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

Glix has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthippo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narishma View Post
See, that's kind of the point. It's linux, YES YOU CAN dual boot it, you might just have to put in a little more effort to find the dual boot program and set it up properly. Linux doesn't limit what you can do, it just might not support it out of the box.

In this case (IIRC) you install Windows, install Gparted, and then install linux. The computer boots into Gparted and then asks you what actual OS you want to boot into. The functionality is there, it's just not always the easiest to figure out.
He meant the installer blasts all partitions.
Glix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2013, 18:47   #7
Tangster
Butt-kicking for goodness!

Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.
Yawn. Don't care...another mediocre Linux distro.
Uni Box:i7 2700K@5.3GHz|EK Supreme LT+Coolstream XT 360|16GB HyperX DDR3@1866MHz|EVGA GTX780 ti+EK FC780ti|MSI P67A-GD55||M5 512|BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 750W|U3011|Raven RV-02E|KBT Pure+Perixx MX2000 + Intuos 4M
Audio: PC->TosLink->TEAC UD-H01->Schiit Asgard-> Fostex TH600|InEar LivePro 3|Truth B2030A Monitors
BT Feedback
Tangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2013, 19:08   #8
Andy Mc
I *am* a Dremel

Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangster
I see it didn't take long for the trolls to come out of the woodwork...

Andy Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2013, 21:44   #9
Yslen
Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erratum1
Yes. It makes it worse.

I'm yet to see a cross platform game that runs faster under Linux.
Asrock Z77e-ITX - Intel i5 3570k - Corsair H50-1 - G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133MHz - Gigabyte HD6870 - Crucial M4 - Samsung HDD - 530W ThermalTake SS PSU - Bitfenix Prodigy - LG IPS231P - NAOS 8200 - Poker II (Reds) - IBM Model M
Take a look at my Photography portfolio, here.
Yslen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2013, 22:08   #10
leslie
Just me!

leslie has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleslie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narishma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigglebyte
There are two installers, one is a system image which will wipe everything like a Windows restore disk, the other, I believe, is a normal Debian installer (which Steam OS is based on), that one's easy. The restore disk version either needs a separate drive or install it first, then your second OS. Regardless, you can dual boot both.

Itty Bitty File Server (mini-itx cube) - 8in alum/oak cube, 2TB, 25watts, 100% silent
Desktop - 2600k@4.2, Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3, 16gb Corsair DDR3-1600, XFX 6870 1GB, 2x Crucial 128 M4, PcP&C 750 Silencer, Fractal 1000, dual HP 25in, Das w/browns, G700
leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2013, 23:18   #11
Pliqu3011
Zero Hoots Given

Pliqu3011 is definitely a rep cheat.Pliqu3011 is definitely a rep cheat.Pliqu3011 is definitely a rep cheat.Pliqu3011 is definitely a rep cheat.Pliqu3011 is definitely a rep cheat.Pliqu3011 is definitely a rep cheat.Pliqu3011 is definitely a rep cheat.Pliqu3011 is definitely a rep cheat.Pliqu3011 is definitely a rep cheat.Pliqu3011 is definitely a rep cheat.Pliqu3011 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangster
So you've tried it already and found the user experience "mediocre"?
Or is you opinion based purely on assumptions and factless prejudice towards "another" linux distro or linux in general?

Quote:
Originally Posted by erratum1
Game performance? No. Graphics drivers for Linux are generally still not as good as their Windows equivalents. Hopefully the new push to Linux by developers will encourage AMD and nVidia to put more effort into them. If your only concern is the best gaming performance, I don't think you'll want to switch anytime soon.
However, for general desktop performance you will notice an improvement, from what I've seen. Most of your experience will be based on personal preference though.
(If you're not planning on playing a lot of games, but are interested in Linux, I'd recommend to just try a well-established, beginner-friendly linux distro like Ubuntu or Linux Mint through wubi (or on a VirtualBox). It'll create a small virtual harddrive within your Windows partition and can be uninstalled just like any other program. If you like it you could later on go to a full dual-boot, or try out SteamOS when it's a bit better supported. If you don't, then you can just uninstall it with the click of a button. It's both free and risk-free, so why not give it a shot?)

Last edited by Pliqu3011; 15th Dec 2013 at 01:39.
Pliqu3011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Dec 2013, 05:53   #12
dyzophoria
Supermodder

dyzophoria has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
hope it does good for valve, though I seriously was hoping they should have just focused on developing HL3
Old 15th Dec 2013, 09:31   #13
erratum1
Banned

erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliqu3011 View Post
Game performance? No. Graphics drivers for Linux are generally still not as good as their Windows equivalents. Hopefully the new push to Linux by developers will encourage AMD and nVidia to put more effort into them. If your only concern is the best gaming performance, I don't think you'll want to switch anytime soon.
However, for general desktop performance you will notice an improvement, from what I've seen. Most of your experience will be based on personal preference though.
(If you're not planning on playing a lot of games, but are interested in Linux, I'd recommend to just try a well-established, beginner-friendly linux distro like Ubuntu or Linux Mint through wubi (or on a VirtualBox). It'll create a small virtual harddrive within your Windows partition and can be uninstalled just like any other program. If you like it you could later on go to a full dual-boot, or try out SteamOS when it's a bit better supported. If you don't, then you can just uninstall it with the click of a button. It's both free and risk-free, so why not give it a shot?)
Thanks for the info.
erratum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Dec 2013, 10:56   #14
SchizoFrog
Ultramodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I think I'll get it and hang on to it even if I choose not to install it, let alone use it. The main reason for this is the cynic in me that thinks that one day things like this may not be free and having this version already may well provide me with what is needed for a back door. I do like testing things BEFORE I hand over money for them.
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
SchizoFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Dec 2013, 11:40   #15
Measter
Multimodder

Measter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog View Post
I think I'll get it and hang on to it even if I choose not to install it, let alone use it. The main reason for this is the cynic in me that thinks that one day things like this may not be free and having this version already may well provide me with what is needed for a back door. I do like testing things BEFORE I hand over money for them.
They're required by law to provide the source code, so the OS will always be free. Some things that come with it, such as the Steam client, are not open source, so they could still charge for that.
Measter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Dec 2013, 12:04   #16
Cthippo
Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Cthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Measter View Post
They're required by law to provide the source code, so the OS will always be free. Some things that come with it, such as the Steam client, are not open source, so they could still charge for that.
"By law" is a bit of a misnomer, but the linux code that it's based on is all licensed under the General Public License and part of what that means is that all derivative products must also be open source. This is more of a contractual issue, but it is legally enforceable and has been upheld in court.
Old 15th Dec 2013, 12:19   #17
Corky42
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yslen View Post
Yes. It makes it worse.

I'm yet to see a cross platform game that runs faster under Linux.
The performance of a game has less to do with the OS, and more to do with the drivers and optimisations done on the graphics API.

According to Valve’s own blog post testing done on L4D2, DirectX running on Windows hit 270.6 fps, OpenGL on Linux hit 315 fps, and OpenGL on Windows ran at 303.7 fps.

I found the following article informative on the differences between gaming on Windows vs Linux
http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/16...d-nvidia?print
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Dec 2013, 13:12   #18
DriftCarl
Supermodder

DriftCarl has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I installed it onto a VirtualBox image last night just to see what the fuss is about. So its no different from steam running on windows.
it IS just debian with steam installed onto it, maybe a bit of a UI change, im not familiar with debian on its own.
I don't know what I expected, maybe something a bit more customised, but its clearly just linux with steam installed, no reason why someone couldn't just install it onto their own already built linux machine.
I downloaded DOTA2, didnt run very well because, well it was a VM.
I think I would rather stick to PC gaming, my PC is in my living room anyway
DriftCarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Dec 2013, 19:40   #19
forum_user
forum_title

forum_user has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftCarl View Post
I installed it onto a VirtualBox image last night just to see what the fuss is about. So its no different from steam running on windows.
it IS just debian with steam installed onto it, maybe a bit of a UI change, im not familiar with debian on its own.
I don't know what I expected, maybe something a bit more customised, but its clearly just linux with steam installed, no reason why someone couldn't just install it onto their own already built linux machine.
I downloaded DOTA2, didnt run very well because, well it was a VM.
I think I would rather stick to PC gaming, my PC is in my living room anyway
My gaming PC is in my study/office. With a tidy SteamOS box in my lounge, I will be streaming games on the big lounge screen when the missus goes to bed. Lots of the oldskool adopters of Steam have grown up and gotten bigger houses and will likely be doing same as me.
forum_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Dec 2013, 21:10   #20
theshadow2001
Mod Master

theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.
I haven't installed it virtually or otherwise. But from what I've seen its just debian with a few packages missing and the steam client installed. Thats about all steamOS really will be even after beta, perhaps slightly more restricted.

It's all a bit disappointing really. I was at least expecting some sort of customized desktop or interface, instead of just a bare debian/gnome combo.
theshadow2001 is online now   Reply With Quote