bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 17th Dec 2013, 11:28   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
BT modems have NSA back-door, claim researchers

"Never trust closed source routers."
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...bt-back-door/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Dec 2013, 11:46   #2
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Added a couple of comments from people who say that the paper is making a mountain out of a decidedly not-DoD-flavoured molehill. Yes, that means an already lengthy piece is even longer. Grab a coffee.
Old 17th Dec 2013, 12:20   #3
John_T
Supermodder

John_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nothing wrong with a long article: I'd rather it was long and properly balanced than short for the sake of it. As someone who uses the BT setup I wouldn't mind seeing a follow-up to this to see whether there actually is anything in it. Not that I do anything I don't particularly want 'authorities' to know about, but you know, it's the principal of the thing...
John_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Dec 2013, 13:07   #4
forum_user
forum_title

forum_user has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
BT won't be able to say it is true even if it is, so, safe to assume a full denial incoming?

[homehub]
Shutdown router.
[/homehub]
forum_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Dec 2013, 13:21   #5
Brooxy
Like a boss (but not a boss)

Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_T
As someone who uses the BT setup I wouldn't mind seeing a follow-up to this to see whether there actually is anything in it. Not that I do anything I don't particularly want 'authorities' to know about, but you know, it's the principal of the thing...
This. I'm also using the Homehub 4 setup, along with the Openreach Modem - if any more information about this comes up, it would be interesting to know, no matter how boring my internet history is...

Kind of scary that we've entered a time when all tinfoil hat-esque ideas are becoming more of a reality. What's next, NSA backdoor hidden in my ethernet enabled blu-ray player? GPS Tracking bug built into the ECU of my car, with dialler to dial back to the NSA? (Not likely - it's a poverty spec 2002 Golf, but you get the gist of what i'm getting at...)

Last edited by Brooxy; 17th Dec 2013 at 13:49. Reason: Because I'm a dope and mistyped the version of my homehub... *facepalm*
Brooxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Dec 2013, 13:29   #6
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooxy View Post
This. I'm also using the Homehub 5 setup, along with the Openreach Modem
Interesting. The Home Hub 5 was the first to include a built-in dual-mode ADSL/VDSL modem, meaning it works without the Openreach VDSL modem. The instructions for the Home Hub 5, however, don't reflect this; "If you're on Infinity Option 1 or Option 2," they explain, "connect the Home Hub 5 to the modem via an Ethernet cable." When my Infinity Option 2 was fitted, the Openreach engineer didn't bring a modem; when I queried why, concerned that he was installing plain-old ADSL2+, he confirmed that they're no longer required with the Home Hub 5 - and, indeed, BT had stopped using 'em because they had a tendency to overheat.

You, however, have a Home Hub 5 and an Openreach modem - even though you don't need two boxes. When was your broadband installed, out of interest?

Last edited by Gareth Halfacree; 17th Dec 2013 at 13:37. Reason: I accidentally a word.
Old 17th Dec 2013, 13:48   #7
Brooxy
Like a boss (but not a boss)

Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.
Well this is embarrasing - meant to type Homehub 4 not 5...although in answer to the question, it was installed in August I think.
Brooxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Dec 2013, 14:10   #8
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooxy View Post
Well this is embarrasing - meant to type Homehub 4 not 5.
That would explain it; the 4 has no VDSL capabilities - just ADSL. Still doesn't explain why the HH5 manual clearly states you'll get a separate modem if you're on Infinity, though.
Old 17th Dec 2013, 14:17   #9
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
You know what. If it's true, anyone still using those aborted foetus' of routers deserve it.
Focus RS Mk1; Build number 1506
liratheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Dec 2013, 14:29   #10
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
At this point I'll not be surprised if my analogue watch is always listening to me tbh. Anyone else feel the same?
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Dec 2013, 14:53   #11
r3loaded
Ultramodder

r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.
And kids, this is why I always use my own router with OpenWRT - and it's not just because ISP routers have horrifically crap hardware+firmware that's locked down like mad.
r3loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Dec 2013, 15:26   #12
Atomic
Gerwaff

Atomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3loaded View Post
And kids, this is why I always use my own router with OpenWRT - and it's not just because ISP routers have horrifically crap hardware+firmware that's locked down like mad.
It's not the router that has the backdoor, it was the modem so you'd not be safe.
Old 17th Dec 2013, 15:29   #13
Bloodburgers
Multimodder

Bloodburgers has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi
At this point I'll not be surprised if my analogue watch is always listening to me tbh. Anyone else feel the same?
Well my watch keeps telling me things so am sure its more than capable of listening too.
Old 17th Dec 2013, 16:05   #14
GeorgeStorm
Aggressive PC Builder

GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.
Someone I know who does networky stuff (as far as I'm aware) commented on this earlier:

Quote:
They use DOD space because it's not internet-routable, and it's for the TR-069 ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TR-069 ) service. This is *NOT* news.

The internet is full of these idiots who think they know better -- yet this one could be easily passed off by saying "why would they do it to your modem/router when they control the transport infrastructure". They'd tap it at the exchange, not your £10 Huawei modem!

It was already in NetworkWorld, AAISP have had to rebuke it, it's bonkers.
Old 17th Dec 2013, 16:15   #15
Umbra
Supermodder

Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if my BT H%£e sm%^T ph%£$ is monitoring me
Umbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Dec 2013, 16:16   #16
Umbra
Supermodder

Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbra View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if my BT H%£e sm%^T ph%£$ is monitoring me
OK, That's weird, who censored my post
Umbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Dec 2013, 16:23   #17
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
it was your BT Home smart phone ;-) whatever one of those is, lol
Old 17th Dec 2013, 18:06   #18
Omnituens
Hypermodder

Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Is it just me, or is the plot of MGS2 starting to make a little bit more sense?

Won't be long before words start to get La-li-lu-le-lo'ed
Old 17th Dec 2013, 19:05   #19
John_T
Supermodder

John_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by liratheal
You know what. If it's true, anyone still using those aborted foetus' of routers deserve it.
Maybe I am stupid for using the (perfectly functional) kit that I already paid for (without choice) from my ISP, but I "deserve" it? Really? At least I understood the article.

Besides, what makes you think that only ISP supplied hardware would then be affected? If this story were true, (GeorgeStorm's post aside for a moment) do you think other brands of hardware wouldn't also be affected? Perhaps you've simply chosen one with a backdoor for a different country's security agency...
Old 17th Dec 2013, 19:10   #20
John_T
Supermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi
Yep, put me in that category. I used to file stories like this under 'tinfoil hat brigade' - the last few years have increasingly proved that the tinfoil hat wearers were actually the sensible ones and it's the rest of us that were deluded. Definitely makes you paranoid!

Tags
backdoor, bruce schneier, bt, bt broadband, bt infinity, department of defence, dod, edward snowden, gchq, government, isp, leak, modem, nsa, privacy, router, security, snowden, vlan