bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 17th Dec 2013, 18:26   #1
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
SteamOS, Steam Machine and Controller shown in video

Valve's new Steam Machine and Controller gets an outing on video.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...roller-video/1
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Dec 2013, 18:56   #2
greypilgers
Supermodder

greypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysis
Always Left4Dead2 and Portal2... Don't get me wrong, they're seminal games, but sheeeeeeeet... When are they gonna at least apply a demo of something slightly less, well, ancient?

Bungletron, I salute you!
greypilgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Dec 2013, 19:37   #3
Teknokid
Ultramodder

Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I'd love to buy the case and install my own small form factor PC in there, It seems like a really good concept to me
Teknokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2013, 07:45   #4
flibblesan
Destroyer

flibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
I really like that case.
flibblesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2013, 15:16   #5
ziza
Multimodder

ziza has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I have some concerns with regards to cooling and temperatures, since there are no vents for GPU and I was not able to check the PSU. The cable management built in plastic it is also no good for cooling.
per me si va tra la perduta gente
ziza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2013, 20:45   #6
siliconfanatic
Rep whore/thread killer

siliconfanatic is definitely a rep cheat.siliconfanatic is definitely a rep cheat.siliconfanatic is definitely a rep cheat.siliconfanatic is definitely a rep cheat.siliconfanatic is definitely a rep cheat.siliconfanatic is definitely a rep cheat.siliconfanatic is definitely a rep cheat.siliconfanatic is definitely a rep cheat.siliconfanatic is definitely a rep cheat.siliconfanatic is definitely a rep cheat.siliconfanatic is definitely a rep cheat.
I was under the impression that the steambox was going to be using AMD's R9 290, not a 780?

"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."
siliconfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2013, 21:03   #7
theshadow2001
I *am* a Dremel

theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziza View Post
I have some concerns with regards to cooling and temperatures, since there are no vents for GPU and I was not able to check the PSU. The cable management built in plastic it is also no good for cooling.
The gpu sucks air in through a vent below the card and blows it out the rear by the i/o. The power supply cpu and gpu all have their own segregated air flow paths
theshadow2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2013, 23:17   #8
SexyHyde
Supermodder

SexyHyde has yet to learn the way of the DremelSexyHyde has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looks fairly decent. I can see room for improvement with the layout, but it's a solid compact start. I'm also wondering whether a btx 'style' cooling setup would be better, as you could have one piece of ducting, one or two channels and cable management and hard drive mounts incorporated.
SexyHyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Dec 2013, 00:20   #9
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.
Seeing as its very unlikely that Valve is going to make more than these 300 beta test units i couldn't care less how they are built. What im looking forward to is CES 2014 in January and the Valve developers conference after it, as i think we will be seeing a lot more OEM's showing of what their take on a Steam Machine.
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Dec 2013, 23:31   #10
SexyHyde
Supermodder

SexyHyde has yet to learn the way of the DremelSexyHyde has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think Valve would be stupid to not sell a unit of their own as people would buy a Valve model just because it's Valve. There is a plenty big enough market for a few premium paint models and they could charge a ridiculous amount for a 'companion cube' special.
I'm excited for the future too, but these are a signal of whats to come. Valve will want OEM's to stick to a few key design features. As crap ones will be bad publicity and will tarnish the otherwise great offerings i'm sure we will see.
SexyHyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Dec 2013, 00:00   #11
forum_user
forum_title

forum_user has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyHyde View Post
I think Valve would be stupid to not sell a unit of their own as people would buy a Valve model just because it's Valve. There is a plenty big enough market for a few premium paint models and they could charge a ridiculous amount for a 'companion cube' special.
I'm excited for the future too, but these are a signal of whats to come. Valve will want OEM's to stick to a few key design features. As crap ones will be bad publicity and will tarnish the otherwise great offerings i'm sure we will see.
I would buy a companion cube for sure! Especially if it was a limited edition SteamBox, first release, from Valve, signed by Gabe and Valve staff.

Your mention of a "few key design features" reminds me of many mentions of the 'SteamBox certification' - whether true or not (unconfirmed) - it makes perfect sense for Valve to maintain control over the hardware specs. A third party console that is SteamBox certified can have elevated customer support over Steam PCs due to having some kind of manageable standards in place. A console without great support would be a nightmare for Valve, the 3rd parties, and the customers.
forum_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Dec 2013, 09:37   #12
whamio
Minimodder

whamio has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
build your own steam machine, load their os, use the new controller.....what's the problem?
whamio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Dec 2013, 09:41   #13
Andy Mc
I *am* a Dremel

Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.
I'm still miffed that the 300 steam boxen ended up being US only in the end...
Old 20th Dec 2013, 09:54   #14
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whamio View Post
build your own steam machine, load their os, use the new controller.....what's the problem?
The problem is we cant buy the controller yet.
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote