bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 18th Dec 2013, 11:58   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
LG unveils world's first Chrome OS all-in-one

"Simple to operate," claims executive.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...g-chromebase/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2013, 12:11   #2
Jack_Pepsi
Clan BeeR Founder

Jack_Pepsi has yet to learn the way of the DremelJack_Pepsi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
2.15"?

I like the idea, not the design and LG have some awesome looking monitors/TVs.
During the rectification of the Vuldronaii the Traveler came as a large, moving Torb. Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex supplicants they chose a new form for him—that of a giant Sloar. Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day, I can tell you.
Jack_Pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2013, 12:17   #3
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pepsi View Post
2.15"?
I've got a couple of screens around that size somewhere... But yes, it should be 21.5" - fixed, ta!
Old 18th Dec 2013, 12:39   #4
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Guinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
the device loses a great deal of its feature set when disconnected from the internet.
Not that I'm a fan of chrome OS, but I thought it could be used offline almost as effectively as any other laptop these days? Writing emails. creating and editing documents, listening to music, editing photos... all of these can be done offline.

Sure activities that require a net connection (EG streaming live broadcast media, viewing live tweets) can't be completing when offline but that rule applies to ANY connected device.

I thought the 'point' of chrome was a no frills, no updates needed, low footprint OS designed to run HTML/js based apps rather than traditional 'software' based app installs. I think it's gone further than being a niche experiment, and for many people would be a viable tool. My mother in law for example only uses web based tools so it would be perfect for her (If she didn't want and wasnt getting an iPad!)

Again, not the OS for me but I see a place for it. It's a shame that the likes of Microsoft go spreading mistruths by claiming (though the side of their mouths) that it's useless when not connected to the net.
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2013, 13:13   #5
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post
Not that I'm a fan of chrome OS, but I thought it could be used offline almost as effectively as any other laptop these days? Writing emails. creating and editing documents, listening to music, editing photos... all of these can be done offline.
Depends on the app in question; a lot work offline, but a lot don't. If you're using Google Drive, though, you're pretty much golden - as long as the file you're wanting to work on is held locally on the SSD, of course.

While you're here: I'm still awaiting your response on this thread as well as this one. Any chance you might deign to respond, or is admitting you were wrong really that difficult for you?
Old 18th Dec 2013, 13:38   #6
Snips
I can do dat, giz a job

Snips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Microsoft were in fact speaking the truth otherwise Google would be seeing them in court Guinevere.

Can't see the point in this device at all. Why use all the tech but then restrict what you can do with it? As useless as the Chromebook.
Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2013, 22:42   #7
fodder
Multimodder

fodder has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Personally I would see it as ideal in my office, except for the fact that I need a windows machine with a dvd drive to view x-rays/MRI scans etc. All the other software I use is web based, either Drive for word processing etc. or cloud management software. Makes more sense than a chrome book.
fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2013, 23:21   #8
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
We actually owned one (a Samsung model), and we really wanted to love it. It was nicely built (shame about the mediocre screen), lightweight, had great battery life and fast boot times. But there were too many small details that made for a frustrating and incomplete experience. It had obvious omissions, strange solutions for offline working and although being all online device, it would not talk to a NAS or networked printer. To print from it needed the mediation of a regular Windows or OSX machine. It created the impression to cooperate with MS Office but it did not.

It's a pity, because with some attention to detail it could have been really good. Bit anyone who complains about Windows 8 really should try Chrome for a few days.
Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2013, 23:28   #9
theshadow2001
Mod Master

theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo View Post
We actually owned one (a Samsung model), and we really wanted to love it. It was nicely built (shame about the mediocre screen), lightweight, had great battery life and fast boot times. But there were too many small details that made for a frustrating and incomplete experience. It had obvious omissions, strange solutions for offline working and although being all online device, it would not talk to a NAS or networked printer. To print from it needed the mediation of a regular Windows or OSX machine. It created the impression to cooperate with MS Office but it did not.

It's a pity, because with some attention to detail it could have been really good. Bit anyone who complains about Windows 8 really should try Chrome for a few days.
You should have put ubuntu on it for the lolz. It would do all you mentioned.
theshadow2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Dec 2013, 09:28   #10
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Thought about it. But it was a machine for my wife, who is not as hard-core geek as I am (at least not when it concerns computers). In the end we sold it and she now has a Lenovo Yoga 11 with Windows RT. It is not full-fat Windows, but it is still infinitely more useful than Chrome.
Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Dec 2013, 06:00   #11
ArthurB
Minimodder

ArthurB has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by fodder View Post
Makes more sense than a Chromebook.
I would rather have a Chromebook (or Chromebox) connected to a 24" or 27" LCD personally.

I bet the screen on the LG Chromebase is going to have pretty poor viewing angles like many other Chromebooks do.
ArthurB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aio, all-in-one, browser, celeron, chrome, chrome os, chromebase, chromebook, cloud, cloud os, google chrome, haswell, lg, lg chromebase, lg electronics, linux