1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Faulting module name: nvd3dum.dll.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Andrew G, 31 Dec 2013.

1. Andrew G

Andrew G Where's my Crayons!

Hello Boys and Girls,

I am hoping someone has had a similar problem and can suggest some thing that may fix this most annoying problem.

I am constantly crashing to desktop (CtD) when playing World Of Tanks (WoT). I have been playing WoT since before it was featured in CustomPC mag. It's only really since the patch the 8.10 this has started happening, I did crash “some” with 8.9 but so did everyone who runs XVM stats since there was a problem with the mod for WoT. It always fails within 2-3 mins and actually playing the game (not in hanger). Some times at round start before the 30 second count finishes but normally within the 1st 2 mins when I am rushing to get to a bush/building/over watch spot at a choke point. Which normally means when I then get rid of the white screen of death and cancel “windows is finding a solution” and reload WoT I am dead. I can then play 6 rounds before the next crash or I could play all night without a further crash.

Faulting application name: WorldOfTanks.exe, version: 0.8.10.0, time stamp: 0x52aecc43
    Faulting module name: nvd3dum.dll, version: 9.18.13.3182, time stamp: 0x5280d618
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0067f053
    Faulting process id: 0x1380
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cf065ff951670b
    Faulting application path: C:\Games\World_of_Tanks\WorldOfTanks.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\nvd3dum.dll
    Report Id: 7d313940-7253-11e3-ac1e-94de80771b46

I have of course googled and googled and googled. The majority of the results say its a graphics driver problem, I duly updated the driver, which didn't fix it. Further research suggests it maybe left overs from older driver sets and tick the clean install box and try again. Still I crash.

Next on the popular results is the possibility the Nvidia HD audio that is installed along with the graphics card is causing the problem so this is disabled. Along with this it was advised that you should update your discrete sound card drivers. These however rarely change unlike graphics drives and as I already had the latest driver I just un-installed the driver in safe mode and then restarted and re-installed driver from a fresh download just to edge my bets. This again doesn't fix anything and I still crash.

I am on the edge of just reinstalling the job lot but this seems to be a bit of a sledge hammer to a wallet IMHO. And if this resolves nothing then what was the point.

I have also tried system file checker which again nothing is wrong:

System Spec:
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\Windows\system32>

Intel Core i5-4670K 3.40GHz (Haswell)
    Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H Intel Z87
    Patriot Viper "Black Mamba" Generation 3 8GB
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770
    Asus Xonar DGX 5.1 PCI-Express

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\Windows\system32>

What should I try next ???

2. Andrew G

Oh forgot some how to say I have re-installed WoT 5 times in the last day and half, this includes to different HD's and areas/path on same drive

I have even run Memtest86 to see if the ram was faulty but its totally fine and finished the tests with zero errors.

3. Andrew G

From some further testing I have yet to (in the same boot-up) have this error twice, so when it errors "out" for want of a better word it doesn't seem to do it again that boot session. Anyone know where I can get some decent information about this dynamic link library what is does etc. Turning up a blank on decent info from google searches.

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Reinstall or update you Graphics Drivers... nv [nVidia] d3d [Direct 3D] um.dll is part of the nVidia Driver

The error even gives you the driver Version 9.18.13.3182 [331.82, the current WHQL Driver]

That said WoT has been known to throw hissy fits with certain version of the nVidia Driver...

5. Andrew G

So it looks like I will have to put up with it until next WoT patch in which they may fix something?

Seem to me to be some sort of memory leak or something. It's a shame becasue we are about to start clan wars and it would be bad to drop out on load - 2mins
    :wallbash:

I have re-installed drivers many times in last new days trying to fix problem but it looks like I am stuck with it. Do I really need the nvidia exp. et al?

6. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

What temperature are you hitting, I used to get that error when I had a gpu overheating

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

7. Andrew G

All temps are totally normal i thought I had it fixed because I didn't crash HOWEVER i was only playing 3/5 games before giving up, MM and tomatoes makes WoT so hard to enjoy sometimes. I played today when I got home from work and crashed to desktop 1st game.

8. Andrew G

ok resorting to beta driver /duck.
    I'll report back if it does anything!

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Just throwing it out there, have you tried running it in compatibility mode ?
    And have you tried reinstall DX9

10. Andrew G

After some more poking around I found that nvd3dum.dll isnt even in c:windows\system32\ however a file called nvd3dumx.dll is? is this normal for people with nvidia cards? Friend in my WoT clan has same issues but he is on Win8? nvd3dum.dll is present in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_disp.inf_amd64_neutral_671aa18aef114cc2

How do you go about reinstalling DX9 when you run the installer it says you already have the latest version DX11 and if you try to run a lesser version it wont proceed?

11. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

nvd3dumx.dll will be in system32 on x64. nvd3dum.dll is in syswow64 the system32 redirect for 32bit files. If you want to (re)install directx9 then just grab it from Microsoft here. It should install fine, I used it on 8.1 so can run dx9 games.
    Instead beta driver, perhaps go back to one like 326.x... sometime newest driver is not best solution.

12. Andrew G

Going back to DX9 though will reduce graphics quality? WoT has just this patch released a new render engine and are on their way to using Havoc engine soon, although there are reports on WoT forums of CtD its certainly not wide spread.

This was going to be my next approach.

13. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I thought it was a directx9 game anyway?

14. Andrew G

Finally fixed this two days ago!!

I had been still having problems even after all of the above and to be honest was getting ready to RMA the RAM and Graphics card purely on the basis, it had to be one or the other when I had a mini epiphany after reading two web pages, after another bout of google'ing until my eyes bled.

Although it failed 99% of the time on the nvd3dum.dll it did also fail rarely on some other modules, but always when WoT was driving so to speak. But the Exception code: 0xc0000005 was always the same. So I started looking into what the codes meant. From a google result I got a post on tomshardware, which has a link to another site purely talking about "Exception code: 0xc0000005" and after reading through the very long guide (which didn't bear much fruit tbh) I read some of the comments left at the the bottom of the page, which is where I hit pay dirt. Someone had listed lots of the HEX numbers and what they generally mean. 0xc0000005 = Memory controller issues. At first I thought "but I have checked the RAM 3 times already" when it dawned on me what if, what is being sent into the RAM is garbage? So a look on Gigabytes site for a BIOS update found that they had one more new bios and it had better compatibility with overclocking and high speed ram. And so fair I have not had a problem.

15. Andrew G

Oh and a big thanks for all who put their 2 pence in :)