bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 9th Jan 2014, 10:21   #1
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
BitFenix Colossus Mini-ITX Review

A front door, light strip and Prodigy flexibility - is this BitFenix's best mini-ITX case yet?
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cas...i-itx-review/1
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2014, 12:43   #2
Jehla
Supermodder

Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
The lighting is in need of a mod!

Jehla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2014, 12:45   #3
Shirty
"It's old Shirty!"

Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.
Decent case, stupid name. They should have called it the BitFenix Runt.
Old 9th Jan 2014, 14:32   #4
toolio20
Modder

toolio20 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
OMG awesome, and just what the market needs - ANOTHER massive mATX case marketed as an m-ITX enclosure!! I mean seriously, this is brilliant - now all I need is a CM Cosmos II to house my NUC and we'll be all set...
toolio20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2014, 15:15   #5
Fishlock
.o0o.

Fishlock is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fishlock is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fishlock is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fishlock is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fishlock is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fishlock is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fishlock is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fishlock is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fishlock is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fishlock is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fishlock is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolio20 View Post
OMG awesome, and just what the market needs - ANOTHER massive mATX case marketed as an m-ITX enclosure!! I mean seriously, this is brilliant - now all I need is a CM Cosmos II to house my NUC and we'll be all set...
Cracking sarcasm, well done. Seems to suit the rest of your posts on this site. (Note my own sarcasm there?)

BitFenix have made some good improvements to a very popular form factor right now. I'm looking towards downsizing and will be considering this case. Shame about the colour options with the lighting though.
Old 9th Jan 2014, 15:27   #6
SchizoFrog
Hypermodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I think it's a shame that there aren't any images of the case running in a darker room so we can see what the light actually looks like.

What a messy system in the image with the 570GTX on the last page. No wonder there is no window.

Overall I think it is another good case from BitFenix but it doesn't tick all the boxes for me still and if I had to choose any I think I would still go for the Prodigy. With all the custom panels available for the Prodigy, BitFenix should just offer for the Prodigy, a replacement top panel that is clean and smooth, along with a squared off replacement base that allows you to attach normal feet.
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
SchizoFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2014, 15:33   #7
Shirty
"It's old Shirty!"

Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.
I totally agree. Maybe the Prodigy II could be more modular, with BitFenix producing various alternative sections. Maybe next time we'll get a white mesh front panel option
Old 9th Jan 2014, 15:38   #8
SchizoFrog
Hypermodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I also can't help but feel that the cooling could have been helped by using a much larger front intake fan. All that mesh and nothing using the space.
Old 9th Jan 2014, 15:43   #9
Combatus
Custom PC/bit-tech modding sections

Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog View Post
I think it's a shame that there aren't any images of the case running in a darker room so we can see what the light actually looks like.

What a messy system in the image with the 570GTX on the last page. No wonder there is no window.

Overall I think it is another good case from BitFenix but it doesn't tick all the boxes for me still and if I had to choose any I think I would still go for the Prodigy. With all the custom panels available for the Prodigy, BitFenix should just offer for the Prodigy, a replacement top panel that is clean and smooth, along with a squared off replacement base that allows you to attach normal feet.

I also can't help but feel that the cooling could have been helped by using a much larger front intake fan. All that mesh and nothing using the space.
The images are actually cut-outs of 1/6sec exposures in a dimly lit room so fairly indicative of what you can expect. Of course, it will be brighter and more vivid if the room was pitch black but that's just bad for your eyes

Sorry about the messy system but there really is very little space to otherwise hide the cables but that's pretty standard with cases this size. I still think there's room for both the Phenom and Colossus along side the Prodigy as there have been some useful refinements, but tbh, in re-engineering the side and top sections you may as well tweak the chassis while you're there and offer a new and attention-grabbing product. The replacement side panels and front sections are pretty easy to do, but as they could see easy ways to improve the case as well, it makes sense to offer a whole new product.

At this end of the market, you're far more likely to find vacant fan mounts unfortunately, but at least the option of using a larger fan is there.
Is the res loud, like, constantly making you need a piss loud?
Combatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2014, 16:16   #10
SchizoFrog
Hypermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatus

I still think there's room for both the Phenom and Colossus along side the Prodigy as there have been some useful refinements, but tbh, in re-engineering the side and top sections you may as well tweak the chassis while you're there and offer a new and attention-grabbing product. The replacement side panels and front sections are pretty easy to do, but as they could see easy ways to improve the case as well, it makes sense to offer a whole new product.
If is not just a shell cover for the top and bottom sections then I agree... Here's hoping to a Prodigy II that ticks all the right boxes... For me at least any way.
Old 9th Jan 2014, 16:19   #11
jizwizard
in shirty's pouch

jizwizard is definitely a rep cheat.jizwizard is definitely a rep cheat.jizwizard is definitely a rep cheat.jizwizard is definitely a rep cheat.jizwizard is definitely a rep cheat.jizwizard is definitely a rep cheat.jizwizard is definitely a rep cheat.jizwizard is definitely a rep cheat.jizwizard is definitely a rep cheat.jizwizard is definitely a rep cheat.jizwizard is definitely a rep cheat.
Corsair 250d cooling performance? Thought you were reviewing the bitfenix
jizwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2014, 17:12   #12
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
BitFenix is offering the case in mini-ITX and micro-ATX flavours with the internal layouts differing quite markedly.
Says it all really.

Stop using social networks and look up!
jrs77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2014, 17:23   #13
Jehla
Supermodder

Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Can that optical drive bay be removed (drilling out rivets) to allow deeper radiators?
Jehla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2014, 17:38   #14
AlienwareAndy
Banned

AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehla View Post
Can that optical drive bay be removed (drilling out rivets) to allow deeper radiators?
The top section again offers space for a double 120mm radiator if you're prepared to sacrifice the 5.25in drive bay too, while the only other fan is a 120mm model in the rear fan mount.

I would say so
AlienwareAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2014, 17:54   #15
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
My thoughts exactly, well almost exactly.
I thought of the song 'I'm So Ronery' from Team America when i saw that little fan against the vast expanse of mesh
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2014, 09:30   #16
Cei
pew pew pew

Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Too big, again. ITX should be as small as possible - so why insist on full size optical bays, and a frankly silly number of HDs? EVGA got it right by putting in a slimline optical, only two HD bays and the tiny PSU, whereas BitFenix seem to be stuck at mATX size and pretending it is ITX.
Cei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2014, 13:13   #17
SchizoFrog
Hypermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cei
Too big, again. ITX should be as small as possible - so why insist on full size optical bays, and a frankly silly number of HDs? EVGA got it right by putting in a slimline optical, only two HD bays and the tiny PSU, whereas BitFenix seem to be stuck at mATX size and pretending it is ITX.
That is your opinion and is obviously NOT the opinion of everyone but once again the BitFenix Prodigy offers options that your compact Mini-ITX cases not only don't but can't offer. It may be silly for you but personally I do NEED more than 2 HDDs and an optical drive, although I don't care if it is full size or a discrete slimeline model.
Old 10th Jan 2014, 13:24   #18
AlienwareAndy
Banned

AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.AlienwareAndy is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cei View Post
If I were to go ITX I would have a 7990, six hard drives and god knows what else to go in it.

Why do you continually assume that people want tiny little cases when it's been shown that the Prodigy is a best seller?
AlienwareAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2014, 14:06   #19
bawjaws
Hypermodder

bawjaws is definitely a rep cheat.bawjaws is definitely a rep cheat.bawjaws is definitely a rep cheat.bawjaws is definitely a rep cheat.bawjaws is definitely a rep cheat.bawjaws is definitely a rep cheat.bawjaws is definitely a rep cheat.bawjaws is definitely a rep cheat.bawjaws is definitely a rep cheat.bawjaws is definitely a rep cheat.bawjaws is definitely a rep cheat.
Pretty sure that Cei is just stating his personal opinion, and not trying to tell anyone else what they want or should have OTOH, if he IS trying to dictate to others what ITX must be, then he's a naughty boy!
bawjaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2014, 14:11   #20
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
That is your opinion and is obviously NOT the opinion of everyone but once again the BitFenix Prodigy offers options that your compact Mini-ITX cases not only don't but can't offer. It may be silly for you but personally I do NEED more than 2 HDDs and an optical drive, although I don't care if it is full size or a discrete slimeline model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienwareAndy View Post
If I were to go ITX I would have a 7990, six hard drives and god knows what else to go in it.

Why do you continually assume that people want tiny little cases when it's been shown that the Prodigy is a best seller?
Why not build a µATX or ATX-based system then, if you need all these components? The µATX-boards are way better than any of the mITX-offerings.

Stop using social networks and look up!
jrs77 is online now   Reply With Quote