bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 10th Jan 2014, 12:02   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
PC market still shrinking, says Gartner

The bottom may be in sight, though.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...et-shrinking/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2014, 12:07   #2
Harlequin
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Harlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming Saiyan
did I also read that tablet sales are looking at overtaking pc sales this year as well?
Old 10th Jan 2014, 12:22   #3
Lance
Ender of discussions.

Lance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming Saiyan
But this actually makes sense.

As the number of alternatives goes up the "family" PC will stop being a standard feature. You might as well say "the number of home phones being purchased has gone down" after the mobile phone became commonplace.

If you include smartphones and tablets to this figure I'd be suprised if the number of "personal (computing) devices" as shot up dramatically. Add in consoles to the mix and you've got most people buying a computer of some description during the year surely.

I'd be interested to know the figures on Desktop PC's grown/shrinking vs the Laptop market, as I'd guess that the desktop market will have been fairly stable over the last 5 years where the laptop market will have dropped as people who would be sat on the sofa with a laptop are now sat there with a iPad/Andriod tablet instead.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2014, 12:26   #4
Corky42
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
did I also read that tablet sales are looking at overtaking pc sales this year as well?
Depends who's figures you look at, but going on what Gartner predicts the answer is no.
Quote:
PC (Desk-Based and Notebook) 277,939
Tablet (Ultramobile) 263,450
According to Gartner's predictions its not due to happen until 2015

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
If you include smartphones and tablets to this figure I'd be suprised if the number of "personal (computing) devices" as shot up dramatically. Add in consoles to the mix and you've got most people buying a computer of some description during the year surely.
Total numbers of computing devices has gone up but not what i would class as dramatically as its only %4.5 http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2610015
Its interesting to note that in October Gartner said they were expecting a decline of %11.2 in shipments of traditional PC's, so does this mean it was a better end of year than predicted ?

Last edited by Corky42; 10th Jan 2014 at 12:34.
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2014, 13:45   #5
Stanley Tweedle
Ultramodder

Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Stanley Tweedle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I actually do all my gaming on iPad now. It kind of crept up on me. I was getting tired of FPS games on desktop and when the average price for a tablet game is between 69p to 2, it's great. Recently been playing Jet Car Stunts and now the new sequel JCS2. Strange that a game can be so immersive and impart such a great sense of speed on a 9.7 inch display. Oculus will be the device that makes PC games worth playing again though but I will continue with mobile gaming (and it may remain the dominant gaming platform for me now).

The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.
Stanley Tweedle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acer, asus, dell, financial, gartner, hp, laptop, lenovo, netbook, notebook, pc market, sales, slump, smartphone, tablet, traditional pcs