1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage SATA III Controller for SSD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Modsbywoz, 12 Jan 2014.

1. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Want to buy a SATA 3 SSD soon as a boot drive as I work with large files ( 1.8GB+ ).

Need a recommendation for a SATA III PCI Express Controller Card. My Motherboard only supports Sata 2 as standard.

I know Bit-Tech did a write up a while ago and had a recommend card but unfortunately i can't find the article. Although, i may be out of date now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Generally there is not too much gain from doing this.

I am guessing you are on a X58 set up?

Most people just stick em on the Sata 2 port and are happy enough, you wont know any difference unless benchmarking.

3. andreinuk

andreinuk Minimodder

I have recently added an Asmedia card to mine and did a quick analysis with crystaldiskmark.

[​IMG]

This was the result running through the sata 2 controller

[​IMG]

I bought the Asmedia card for a fiver off the marketplace but again as others have said I don't really think that I have noticed a great deal of difference with the sata 3 controller.

4. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yeah, I'd just stick with Sata 2 tbh as you'll rarely, if ever, notice the difference between that and Sata 3 in the real world.

5. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

Or look for a cheap Revo Drive 3, I love mine on the x58 setup.

6. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Thanks everyone, i'm on a p55 (i5 750) setup at the moment. I'll give it a whirl on SATA2.

7. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

8. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I use sata6gbps ssd on my old P55/750 set up and it's just fine. Using andreinuk post to illustrate the example, look at the small differences in the 4K results... they are not that dramatic and the 4K is what matters most on SSD. In real world a fast sequential read doesn't really do much for you in most scenarios.
    If I didn't have an ssd already, I would go for one of the msata to pci-e cards. There are a few msata that have just as good performance and similar price to 2.5" such as mushkin Atlas. With pci-e/msata you won't have any more cable mess. This is also for the most part cheaper than proper pci-e ssd, and almost as good. Get msata to pci-e that has the Marvell hyperduo controller since they are one of few that support trim and an additional sata6GBPS port. If you want to, can set up hyperduo caching with a large hdd. Most add on sata 6gbps cards still don't support trim so you need to really watch it if you're going to use them with ssd.