bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 13th Jan 2014, 11:43   #1
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
Western Digital Black2 Dual Drive Review

This drive provides a 120SSD and 1TB hard drive in one package.
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/sto...drive-review/1
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jan 2014, 11:55   #2
Shirty
V BURN MY EYES V

Shirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Too expensive for what you get unfortunately. I'm sure if this sort of thing catches on then prices will ultimately come down, but by that point you'll probably be able to get a 1TB SSD for the same price anyway
Old 13th Jan 2014, 12:36   #3
Hustler
Hypermodder

Hustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for president
Wouldn't this be an ideal drive to slot in a Playstation 4....

Would the PS4 OS allow for seeing 2 drives on one disc or allow you to run the game you are currently playing on the SSD, whilst storing your other games on the 1TB HD?
Hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jan 2014, 12:38   #4
Fingers66
Kiwi in London

Fingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
TBH I prefer segregating my data from the O/S by using an SSD for boot, this drive lumps it all back onto the single physical device - lose a PCB and you lose two drives which makes the restore/recovery more onerous.

I just don't see the benefit for the price.
NAS 1:[Synology DS211j] NAS 2:[OMV]
Fingers66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jan 2014, 12:41   #5
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustler
Wouldn't this be an ideal drive to slot in a Playstation 4....

Would the PS4 OS allow for seeing 2 drives on one disc or allow you to run the game you are currently playing on the SSD, whilst storing your other games on the 1TB HD?
The dual-drive capability is Windows only.
Old 13th Jan 2014, 13:55   #6
loftie
I *am* a Dremel

loftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers66 View Post
TBH I prefer segregating my data from the O/S by using an SSD for boot, this drive lumps it all back onto the single physical device - lose a PCB and you lose two drives which makes the restore/recovery more onerous.

I just don't see the benefit for the price.
I don't think anyone would disagree with it being expensive, but most things are when their new.

As for dumping two drives onto one PCB, I can't imagine this drive being used in desktops where there's the space for multiple drives i.e. SSD boot, Mech storage and I doubt they're expecting it to. In a laptop it'd be ideal, SSD speeds for boot and 1TB mech for storage.
Old 13th Jan 2014, 14:13   #7
Icy EyeG
Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

Icy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanmotion

The dual-drive capability is Windows only.
So no Linux support as of yet, right?
Icy EyeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jan 2014, 16:08   #8
John_T
Supermodder

John_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Article
Overall: 70.5263157895%
Now that's what you call a properly accurate score!
John_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jan 2014, 16:16   #9
itrush07
Multimodder

itrush07 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
For windows only? You don't have options for mac users also?
itrush07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jan 2014, 16:24   #10
ya93sin
Minimodder

ya93sin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_T
Quote:
Saw that as well.
70.5263157865% is in my opinion a more reasonable score however
ya93sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jan 2014, 16:32   #11
Meanmotion
bleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ya93sin
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_T
Quote:
Saw that as well.
70.5263157865% is in my opinion a more reasonable score however
Ah, automated systems: gotta love 'em. For a more visually pleasing score I have corrected this, though I kinda wish we could do our score symbols for numbers that long.
Old 13th Jan 2014, 19:22   #12
SchizoFrog
Ultramodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Well I would certainly not get this drive and would prefer to get a separate SSD and then a 1TB USB3 external drive such as the WD My Passport.

120GB Samsung SSD (£77), 1TB WD My Passport (£59) = £136 (Saving £98)

250GB Samsung SSD (£150), 1TB WD My Passport (£59) = £209 (Saving £25)

Personally I would go for the second option.
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
SchizoFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jan 2014, 09:02   #13
Edwards
Hypermodder

Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie View Post
I don't think anyone would disagree with it being expensive, but most things are when their new.

As for dumping two drives onto one PCB, I can't imagine this drive being used in desktops where there's the space for multiple drives i.e. SSD boot, Mech storage and I doubt they're expecting it to. In a laptop it'd be ideal, SSD speeds for boot and 1TB mech for storage.
Agreed, I think that people are missing the point. I do wonder though why they don't partition a section of the SSD for use as a cache for the HDD and leave the rest as a seperate drive, i.e. 100GB SSD, 1TB HDD with a 20GB SSD Cache. That would seem to be the best of both worlds.
Intel Core i5 2500k - Maximus V Gene - 4x4 GB Corsair XMS3 1.65v 1600mHz - Asus GTX 570 - 256GB Samsung 830 - Samsung F3 1TB - Samsung F4 2TB - Corsair HX650 - Silverstone TJ08-E - LG IPS231P-BN x 2 - Corsair K70 - CM Storm Inferno
Edwards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jan 2014, 14:35   #14
Siwini
What is 4+no.5?

Siwini has yet to learn the way of the DremelSiwini has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Personally, I don't like anything that has a word 'Hybrid' in it. It's like saying its so close to real thing, but not.... And don't even get me stahttp://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=266545rted on vehicles.
Win7 Pro 64Bit | I7 860 @4.0Ghz XSPC RS240 | Gigabyte P55-UD5 | 8GB G.Skill 1600 7 8 7 24| Crucial C300 64GB SSD | 2x 1TB Samsung F3 RAID0 | Asus GTX 570 | Asus Xonar DS 7.1 | Logitech Z-2300 | Corsair CMPSU 850 ATX | Xigmatek Utgard | Dell U2410
Siwini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jan 2014, 09:07   #15
fluxtatic
Supermodder

fluxtatic has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by itrush07
For windows only? You don't have options for mac users also?
Newer Macs have better drives anyway. Say what you will about Apple (I personally dislike them), but the Fusion drives and all-PCIe SSDs are far superior to this.
fluxtatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jan 2014, 03:03   #16
leexgx
CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

leexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwards
Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie View Post

Agreed, I think that people are missing the point. I do wonder though why they don't partition a section of the SSD for use as a cache for the HDD and leave the rest as a seperate drive, i.e. 100GB SSD, 1TB HDD with a 20GB SSD Cache. That would seem to be the best of both worlds.
well you do have Seagate 500-750GB-1TB (5400RPM-64MB-8GB) that have 8GB of flash that is used for boosting reads, they also have a 1-2TB desktop HDD as well (7200RPM-64MB-8GB)
Toshiba have the same as well but only has 32MB cache but still has 8GB of flash to boost reads

the 2 above True hybrid drives are entended for laptops mainly but for the avg user or even normal use they are fast, you may say 8GB is not enought but for booting windows up, photoshop, office any browsers will all easy fit in that space, they only cost about £10-15 more then none hybrid drive and require no software to make them work
i7-920 (4Ghz) <> Titian ferna <> Rampage extreme III<> GTX480 <> 6gb 3x2gb OCZ Gold 1600 <> SSD M225 256gb / segate .11 1.5TB <> X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty <> TK 1000w Toughpower <win7 x64> GreenFrog Computers Warrington
leexgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jan 2014, 08:38   #17
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog View Post
Well I would certainly not get this drive and would prefer to get a separate SSD and then a 1TB USB3 external drive such as the WD My Passport.

120GB Samsung SSD (£77), 1TB WD My Passport (£59) = £136 (Saving £98)

250GB Samsung SSD (£150), 1TB WD My Passport (£59) = £209 (Saving £25)

Personally I would go for the second option.
I think it is aimed at laptop users who don't want to carry extra external drives.
Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jan 2014, 10:57   #18
Wwhat
Minimodder

Wwhat has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I like WD drives, but now that it was revealed that they put NSA trojans on protected areas I'm not sure it's the best choice for a boot-SSD type.
But for secondary drives it should be OK.
Wwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jan 2014, 11:57   #19
Shirty
V BURN MY EYES V

Shirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming Saiyan
If you're of enough interest to the NSA for them to have diverted your new hard drive to a secret warehouse, installed spyware on it and then forwarded it on to you, then I'd suggest you have bigger problems to worry about than your boot drive.

You do know that they ship a couple of hundred million drives a year, and the NSA thing is not supported or endorsed by the affected manufacturers?
Old 23rd Jan 2014, 12:11   #20
Wwhat
Minimodder

Wwhat has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirty View Post
If you're of enough interest to the NSA for them to have diverted your new hard drive to a secret warehouse, installed spyware on it and then forwarded it on to you, then I'd suggest you have bigger problems to worry about than your boot drive.

You do know that they ship a couple of hundred million drives a year, and the NSA thing is not supported or endorsed by the affected manufacturers?

Yeah because the NSA only is interested in the guilty of terrorism/spionage, there is NOTHING to suggest otherwise, except of course thousands of documents of evidence and hours of public statements.

As for the manufacturers not being involved.. they would say that wouldn't they. But it's US manufacturers, and I'm not sure you got it right that it is only on a few selected drives, I think you have it confused with the other stories on whole systems/laptops.
Wwhat is offline   Reply With Quote